The Scales

Options
nerge
nerge Posts: 52 Member
Heading to the gym at lunchtime and getting on the scales for the first time in 10 days. I'm scared that whatever the number it will demotivate me....it's never enough! trying to get it into my head that once it's a minus we're gong the right way!!

Replies

• JRose50
    JRose50 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You will do great! I wish I had the time to go to the gym. My excersise right now is mostly a 20-30 minute walk with my 3 year old each day. But I keep reminding myself every little bit helps! Good luck!
  • nerge
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement. It hasn't moved yet...but at least it's not up! ha! I dunno power on through power on through!! Also 30 min walk a day is good!! We have to start where we can!!!
  • Ad141274
    Ad141274 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I never with at the gym . A lot of people.believe in daily.weighingg . I believe in weekly . My body didn't.get where its at overnight so it wont be easy to fix. Instead set daily goals to help you succeed.
  • MaryMBacon
    MaryMBacon Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    HI, don't let the scales Demotivate you! Your body will fluctuate from time to time. If you weigh in at the gym be sure to do this before you work-out, since you should be drinking water during exercise and water is heavy. I love the scale I have at home because it also tells me body fat percentage and as long as one number goes down, I'm happy ~ best of luck!
  • mariodog1
    mariodog1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You have great advice!
  • 40andFindingFitness
    40andFindingFitness Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I try to weigh weekly because the weight can go up and down daily. Rather than obsess about it (cause I will!) I just wait. I only get to the gym on weekends because I use the one at work and during the week it's a madhouse. Happy weight losses to all of you this week.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I actually weigh everyday but i keep it in a spreadsheet with notes. My inlaws took us to pizza tuesday and i gained 2 lbs by wednesday morning, but then wednesday I ate within calories but treated myself to ONE piece of homemade lemon meringue pie and i lost 1.4lbs. Im trying to find a pattern but not let it get obsessive.

If i weigh once a week and its a higher weight day, then i feel like that week was a waste. so daily is easier for me mentally.
  • Kass0708
    Kass0708 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I do my official weigh in on Friday mornings but during the week (Sunday, and Wednesday) I do an unofficial weigh in to see if my weight is fluctuating. This is the first week that is consistently went down. Hence only by like .2 pounds but it went down. However, I used my Friday morning weigh in for my official weigh in. I try not to be obsessed with the scale but right now it is hard. I am afraid to weigh myself tomorrow because I injured my knee back in February and still working on figuring out what is wrong with it. Some weeks its is really good and other weeks the pain and swelling is just too much like this week. This week the pain and swelling have been active all week preventing me from any type of exercising. I stayed under my calorie goal but still I am afraid because I feel I gained this week because I feel crappy. BLAH!
  • nerge
    Options
    Thanks for the comments guys it's great to hear others go through the same mental process as me when it comes to the scales. I''m going to buy a scales for home - dislike gym weighins cause if I want to moan I can moan/cry in my own home. But I will be wearing gym gear or about to go to work when I weigh in cause I'm afraid if the number annoys me I'll head to the chocolate!!
  • aprilannhughes
    Options
    Hi everyone..i'm back on the band wagon..I have been overweight all my life. When I excerise hard i can loose the weight but never seem to be able to keep it off. I have tried counting calories, weight watcher, etc. doesn't seem to work. I work full time, raising two grandkids with 5 children between my husband and I. Anyone have any suggestions on how to get the weight off?
  • shielas
    shielas Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I started with a Dietician a year ago, and the first thing I told her was that I did not want to let my self be tied to a scale. She asked how we would measure my success than? I suggested using a belt. I found a belt that I could just get around me, it wouldn't even go through the buckle, it just touched it. I've now added many holes to that belt!
    Last fall I started Zumba, LOVE IT, and aquacise to get some exercise. This past summer I've been busy looking for a job, and put my self on hold. One of the courses I took had a section on goals, basically you set your dream, then you put in the steps that you need to achieve it. My dream is to get to a healthy weight, my first step was to start tracking what I eat (myfitnesspal) and to start exercising 30 minutes a day. I also gave myself permission to be selfish and put myself first. I started on Tuesday, three days in and so far so good. I also said I was going to start reaching out to others for support and here I am.
    I know there's times we need to step on the scale, but remember that there are lots of ways to count your successes. Try getting a belt. I know it lifts my spirits every time I pull it out and see where I started at. Also remember that muscle weights more than fat, and as you work out you will be building muscle. Good Luck on achieving your goal. I know we'll make it! As long as we continue to try.
  • jakeyuma
    jakeyuma Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Lets start out by saying I am a scale addict. My wife has to put the scale up at times to keep me off it. With that being said, scales are the most unreliable way to measure progress. I have seen my weight go up 2 pounds in a week but I lost an inch off my waiste and hips. You should both weigh and use measurments to monitor progress. One of my coaches told me, you lose fat from everywhere but your waiste and buttox. Once the rest of the fat is gone then the body starts pulling from those trouble areas. Just food for thought.
  • MaryMBacon
    MaryMBacon Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I just stepped on my scale and was up 2 pounds and I was so frustrated as it's been a great week. Now my own scale you can just step on it and get a weigh or you can hit a button that says "user" and then step on it for BMI and body fat %, so I stepped off waited for it to reset and got back on to get my body fat %, well then I was down 4 pounds.
    So the reality is, I need to relax and know that I have stayed on track and had a great week and forget my scale until I can hit up radio shack for a new battery. I tried 4 times and didn't even get close to the same weight twice.
    DO not let the scale affect your mood. Celebrate staying in your calorie target, celebrate hitting your activity goal, celebrate using the next hole on your belt, celebrate that you ate 5 vegetables today. Just make sure you DO celebrate and reward yourself for SOMETHING, and the pounds will drop, maybe not daily or even every week but you will feel better, more energetic and healthy.
    Remember to celebrate with non-food treats, New shoes are always great as shoe size changes very little with weight loss, I like to celebrate big wins with a new charm for my bracelet. Although One new outfit is always a great way to feel great about yourself when losing inches.