Switching from High Bar Squat to Low Bar Squat

Options
whierd
whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
During my last squat session, during my warm ups, I tried to transition into low bar squatting. It didn't feel as fluid as I am used to and the bar wasn't quite as comfortable across my posterior delts as I had hoped. I was wondering if anyone has transitioned before and their experiences with it. Also, any tips would be appreciated.

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I had to back off on weights when I switched. I like it better now. I feel a lot more balanced at the bottom of the lift. You lean forward a bit more on the bottom too, keeping the bar above the center of your foot. Someone told me once to imagine you are trying to bend the bar across your back. I think it's a preference thing though and that neither is better than the other.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    During my last squat session, during my warm ups, I tried to transition into low bar squatting. It didn't feel as fluid as I am used to and the bar wasn't quite as comfortable across my posterior delts as I had hoped. I was wondering if anyone has transitioned before and their experiences with it. Also, any tips would be appreciated.

I made the switch but I sucked so bad at both squats that it was probably easier at the time. It did take me a few sessions to get a clue where to position the bar, and it took some experimentation to learn how to properly set the upper back/hands/etc.

See here for a good vid (Rip on bar placement):

I would suck it up and take a few weeks, or however long it takes, and just take weight off the bar and give it plenty of practice time. Obviously your torso positioning will likely need to change too.

For reference, one I found the proper spot to place the bar, it was sort of a lightbulb moment, like "Oh, this is where it's supposed to go".
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Back/arm flexibility has a lot to do with it for me. I'm currently trying to get back to low bar and ... It sucks. Yoga is actually helping so that I can position my hands properly. And the Rip video is excellent.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    IMHO. It just takes some getting used to. Be patient. In my experience, do not try to hold the bar with your hands. Open-palm grip and those palms are just there to keep the bar from rolling down your back. I screwed up my elbows pretty good by grasping the bar and applying some measure of down-force as if to bend it on my back. Stupid; gravity handles that.

But after a while you will find the sweet spot. I have no issues anymore but it did take five or six sessions before I got my mechanics worked out.
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I have shoulder issues so low bar was not an option for me initially. I made ok progress and had a 1RM of 225. Pretty pathetic. I recently moved the bar down 1" into a real low bar position and my 1RM went straight up to 280. Almost positive I did not get 24% stronger overnight, so I am going to attribute this to the bar position. The low bar position just feels better for ME - better balance, more engagement of hammies and glutes and an easier push out of the hole. Now I love squats. Well, almost. The jump in weight has put some stress on the knees that they don't seem quite ready to handle. I just need to stick to my original 5/3/1 progression and let all the tendons and joints catch up to my muscles. All is good.

That's one data point.

Tom
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Nothing to add, but I am looking to move to low bar soon...or at least try. I made a very uncommitted attempt about a year ago, but have been doing high bar other than that. My body position is more of a low bar one so I want to give it more work so I can feel comfortable doing low bar.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Nothing to add, but I am looking to move to low bar soon...or at least try. I made a very uncommitted attempt about a year ago, but have been doing high bar other than that. My body position is more of a low bar one so I want to give it more work so I can feel comfortable doing low bar.

Want me to get behind you and hold the bar for you?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

:bigsmile:

Although, I am not sure you would be able to reach the bar!
  • SideSteel
    Options

LMAO

nfmsfk.jpg
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

LMAO

nfmsfk.jpg

LMFAO......
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options

LMAO

nfmsfk.jpg

LMFAO......

Why do I now have a sudden craving for green M&Ms?
  • whierd
    Options
    :laugh:
  • TygerTwoTails
    TygerTwoTails Posts: 108 Member
    Options

This is so helpful!
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options

Thanks for the video. I will try this out next week.
  • whierd
    Options

I made the switch but I sucked so bad at both squats that it was probably easier at the time. It did take me a few sessions to get a clue where to position the bar, and it took some experimentation to learn how to properly set the upper back/hands/etc.

I would suck it up and take a few weeks, or however long it takes, and just take weight off the bar and give it plenty of practice time. Obviously your torso positioning will likely need to change too.

For reference, one I found the proper spot to place the bar, it was sort of a lightbulb moment, like "Oh, this is where it's supposed to go".

Ok, that video really helped. I use a thick wooden pushbroom handle to simulate the bar sometimes and I was using it watching that and I finally "got it". :bigsmile:

Thank you very much!
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    bump and damn that is a booty for sho!
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    I had big-time trouble with this; I started out trying to do low bar, but couldn't find the position and my shoulders were getting bruised up pretty bad from bad bar placement. I have a squat sponge, but I wanted to go low bar from the start because I couldn't get down to parallel with the bar so high. One day I spent about an hour and a half with the Rippetoe youtubes, an empty bar, and a video camera. I could feel it, but reproducing it reliably was difficult. There are no mirrors in the room I keep my weights in, so I don't have visual cues once the bar is behind me.

Here's what finally worked for me... I use a little stool to make sure I'm hitting my depth (if I don't feel the stool at the bottom of the rep, I missed the rep). I've found that when that stool is in the right place for my depth check, I can also use it to get into the right position to take the bar. I sit on the stool, align my feet, put my hands on the bar, and come up under the bar from the seated position. It works every time. I'm amazed at how simple it is now. YMMV, but this was a total game-changer for me.