Today is a struggle

Options
missmacsays
missmacsays Posts: 681 Member
I have the hardest time with weekends! I'm sure I'm not the only one who notices how hard weekends can be. I mean, during the week you can have a set routine, time to prepare meals and know where you'll be when meal time comes. And you can plan an exercise routine around your schedule. I like routines! But then the weekends come and I am so busy. Running all around, doing so many activities that I just end up eating whatever's around because I get hungry. Of course, there's the option of packing snacks that are healthy, but if you're hanging out with people and they're eating delicious food, what are the chances your self-control is going to tell you to eat the snack you brought? My biggest thing that I recognize after this weekend is usually the day after I drink a lot, I binge. Like not just a few snacks and treats, like eating double/triple my normal calorie count because I feel so miserable I don't even care. And then that transfers into the next day doing the same because I wake up feeling so lazy and sluggish. It's a vicious cycle. And I know it's a problem and I know how much I hate feeling the way I feel right now. But I also realistically know myself and know I'm not going to quit drinking forever. I can defintely do it for a period of time and get back on track, but what good is that if I know I'd just go back to it? I really want to lose weight the right way, by doing it in a way that fits into my lifestyle so that I have the best chance of keeping it off. And it really is taking me wayyy longer than I'd like it to, but I think that eating low amounts of calories and cutting out everything I like is the complete wrong way for me to lose weight. Everyone is different obviously and I'm definitely not bashing people that do that. If you can make it work for you permanently, then more power to you! I know myself well enough to know that's not permament for me. Just wanted to post because I'm really feeling awful and down today about my bad habits and I love having this group to consult when I feel this way. I know we all have our days, that's for sure. How are all the rest of you doing?

Replies

• jailbirdjubie
    jailbirdjubie Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I totally know how you feel... The best thing right now is to not beat yourself up about it. You understand what your challenge is, you just are lacking the motivation to do anything about it at the moment (we've all been there!). Can you think back to the times you were really motivated and try to pull from that memory?
    Another idea is to plan your weekend days a little in advance. Just try to do as much as you can and if something unexpected comes up, log it and move on. You might go over your calories for the day, but you will at least feel like you're in control and that will carry over to the next day.
    You can do this!
  • Tiernan1212
    Tiernan1212 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry, I know the feeling, and it sucks.

Maybe you could switch to a weekly calorie goal instead of a daily one? I totally understand work days being easier, they are for me too. Since it's easier to stay on track on weekdays, maybe try cutting an extra 100 cals every Monday through Thursday? That would give you an extra 400 to play with over the weekend. Or extend your workout 10 minutes every weekday?

Another thing you could try is resetting your goals. I know when I first started here I had everything set at 1200 cals, and I rarely made it under goal. It was making it so much harder than it needed to be, and beating myself up constantly. So when I started over, I slowed my weight loss goal to 1lb a week. Just having that extra 150 cals a day made it much more manageable.

Or give me a call some weekend, and we'll hang out in a food-free zone :flowerforyou: :laugh:
  • missmacsays
    missmacsays Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the good advice ladies! I'm happy that at least when I get derailed, it's not forever. It's for a few days. I clear my head and I'm back at it again! That's what I need to do. Eventually I won't derail and I'll just do awesome all the time. And T-totally going to take you up on that soon!!!
  • brittanykira
    brittanykira Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I had THE worst weekend ever last week. I went home for midterm break/Thanksgiving and gave in to almost every craving I had. I have been doing wonderful since the last of August but just felt like I needed a break. I had KFC, chips/dip, pop, cakes, salsa dip, chocolate, etc. I was so disgusted with myself when I left. And I beat myself up over it, which lead to a gain this week :/ However, it also made me motivated. I have started going to the gym which I have been meaning to do since September! I am hoping to get myself into a routine of going at least 5 days a week. As for the food part, when I started my journey last September, I didn't cut anything out. If I wanted chocolate, I ate a couple of pieces instead of a whole bar. If I wanted pop, I would have half a can instead of a full one. It was all about moderation. I agree with you that cutting things out does not solve anything because you just want it even more. I completely understand how hard it is to not give in when everyone around is eating the food you desire, but it feels good to know you have the control to say no and pick a healthier choice. It takes time but with patience and commitment you will find something that works for you! Good Luck! I know you will achieve your goals :)