Joe Cross

Options
sloth3toes
sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
I was Googling for some bio info on Joe Cross. Mainly, because all the juicing nay-sayers will tell you that Joe made the documentary so he could sell juicers... which seems a bit far fetched. In Fat Sick and Nearly Dead, he claims to already be a very successful business man, and my limited research seems to back up that claim. I'm not sure how reliable the Huffington Post is, but here's a couple of links to some stuff he wrote. It's old, but still inspiring.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/joe-cross

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/joe-cross/health-and-vitality-its-a_b_834795.html

IMHO, assuming he was on the level when he made the documentary, he has every right to exploit his notoriety into a further business venture. He drank juice for 60 days straight. He dropped like 100 lbs.... he transitioned to a healthy, plant based diet.... and he documented the whole thing. If people find him inspiring, and a mentor, then if he can make a few bucks promoting the lifestyle, then 'good on him.' I've never sent a dime his way.... and I benefited greatly from the film, and somewhat, from his website.

http://www.rebootwithjoe.com/

<end rant>

Replies

• sanjoparolas
    sanjoparolas Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed the film and thought the way he turned his health around was awesome! Now I have personally experience the benefits of fresh juices and found it to be a great experience I otherwise wouldn't have had.
  • Schatze1975
    Options
    I watched his documentary today! Amazing!

Everyone seems to want to say more bad than good but when it comes to statics about health it show the fact that juicer is wonderful!
  • sloth3toes
    Options
    The main forums contain people who have one thing in common, they all 100% subscribe to the calories in / calories out, program.... MFP is pretty much based on calorie counting, and that's what 99% of the members here go by.

Most ( not all ) also go by IIFYM.... and will argue to the death, that there is no such thing as bad food... only too much food.

Arguing any other ideas in the main forums is pointless, the mob mentality will always rule.

That said.... You might find that juicing day after day wears you down, or you might experience unpleasant side effects. Joe Cross was, and is rich, and had access to tons of medical supervision, something alot of us don't have.

I personally, didn't really set a goal for how long to juice, and I only made it 10 days on straight juice, about 6 times a day. By that time, I was craving salads, and nuts.... and that didn't seem so bad, so I added some mofo huge salads in, juicing about 4 times a day, + a gigantic salad, with nuts and black beans, or tuna on it.... and I did that for probably a couple of months straight, at least.

My point is.... whatever the juicing leads to, is equally as important as the juicing itself. And, you need to have a transition / exit strategy, and a firm plan, how you plan to eat for life, once the juicing is done.

That's why the mainstream MFP'ers all say juicers will fail... because they 'assume' that you have no long term plan.
  • Schatze1975
    Options
    The main forums contain people who have one thing in common, they all 100% subscribe to the calories in / calories out, program.... MFP is pretty much based on calorie counting, and that's what 99% of the members here go by.

Most ( not all ) also go by IIFYM.... and will argue to the death, that there is no such thing as bad food... only too much food.

Arguing any other ideas in the main forums is pointless, the mob mentality will always rule.

That said.... You might find that juicing day after day wears you down, or you might experience unpleasant side effects. Joe Cross was, and is rich, and had access to tons of medical supervision, something alot of us don't have.

I personally, didn't really set a goal for how long to juice, and I only made it 10 days on straight juice, about 6 times a day. By that time, I was craving salads, and nuts.... and that didn't seem so bad, so I added some mofo huge salads in, juicing about 4 times a day, + a gigantic salad, with nuts and black beans, or tuna on it.... and I did that for probably a couple of months straight, at least.

My point is.... whatever the juicing leads to, is equally as important as the juicing itself. And, you need to have a transition / exit strategy, and a firm plan, how you plan to eat for life, once the juicing is done.

That's why the mainstream MFP'ers all say juicers will fail... because they 'assume' that you have no long term plan.
    You are exactly correct! I mean we are getting nutrients and vitamins. After my 100 days, on day 8 today ( I know I know long road but I'm ready for the ride down it) but I know I am gonna transition over to clean foods and healthy meats.. I'm taking this time to learn meal ideas. I want to know what I plan to buy and meals plus calories I'll take in from it. I'm researching the healthiest options!

But next august I'm going on a cruise. That is to celebrate my life without this weight on me. Now I will looking forward to that but right now it's full steam ahead.

I know and glad my family understand how important to support me during this time.

Juicing is doing me wonders!
  • sloth3toes
    Options
    Please keep us informed here, how you are doing. I find it kind of fascinating.

And good luck !
  • Schatze1975
    Options
    I am finishing this day 8. I can tell my body weight is dropping ( not weighing til end off 100 days). My face has slimmed.. I have a neckline showing lol. My hips, arms gosh everywhere is falling off. The results are so good I am not tempted to cheat. I feel good with micronutrients I'm getting! I mean today I only had 800 something calories and I feel amazing even after swimming!

The health benefits are unreal! I don't have pain at all anymore! I had a lot of pain 8 days ago but now wow! It's gone! The toxins are leaving my body and my back isn't sensitive to touch anymore! I'm shocked at how unreal this juicing has been to my health!

I am rather shocked that I'm not tempted to cheat. I think when getting the nutrients and vitamins I need then I don't crave the bad stuff.
  • sloth3toes
    Options
    Just a suggestion for transitioning to your healthy lifestyle, once you're done with the juice fast...

http://www.drfuhrman.com/

Dr Joel Fuhrman wrote a book called, Eat to Live.... promoting what he calls a 'nutritarian' way of eating. He's basically promoting veganism... but, his way, is that if you eat 80% nutritarian, you can do what you want 20% of the time. So, there's some leeway.

He has appeared in Fat Sick and Nearly Dead, I think... and other documentaries.

My plan has always been to try to become nutritarian after juicing... but I'm finding it very hard to stick with the program. I'm actually about to get the book out of the library for the 2nd time.

There's an Eat to Live group here, as well....

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/2061-eating-to-live

Feel free to join up, and see what's going on there... there's more discussion there, than there is here. It's one possibility for your transition from juicing. He basically promotes eating nutrient dense foods, which seems to make sense. :wink:
  • Schatze1975
    Options
    Just a suggestion for transitioning to your healthy lifestyle, once you're done with the juice fast...

http://www.drfuhrman.com/

Dr Joel Fuhrman wrote a book called, Eat to Live.... promoting what he calls a 'nutritarian' way of eating. He's basically promoting veganism... but, his way, is that if you eat 80% nutritarian, you can do what you want 20% of the time. So, there's some leeway.

He has appeared in Fat Sick and Nearly Dead, I think... and other documentaries.

My plan has always been to try to become nutritarian after juicing... but I'm finding it very hard to stick with the program. I'm actually about to get the book out of the library for the 2nd time.

There's an Eat to Live group here, as well....

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/2061-eating-to-live

Feel free to join up, and see what's going on there... there's more discussion there, than there is here. It's one possibility for your transition from juicing. He basically promotes eating nutrient dense foods, which seems to make sense. :wink:
    thank you for this info :)
  • nomoyoyoing
    nomoyoyoing Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Juicing is doing me wonders!
  • nomoyoyoing
    nomoyoyoing Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Juicing is doing me wonders too!! How could anyone say it is bad for you?! Consuming the daily requirements in a glass of fresh veggies and fresh fruits - makes me happy from head to toe! In fact I just bought a new masticating juicer. I'm in love :)))
  • sloth3toes
    Options
    I am finishing this day 8.

It's been 5 or 6 days...... what's up?
  • Schatze1975
    Options
    I am finishing this day 8.

It's been 5 or 6 days...... what's up?
    Oh I'm on day 16 today! Half a month down and 16 % there!
  • sloth3toes
    Options
    Wow ! Please keep us ( or me at least... :wink: ) updated. What you're doing is pretty awesome.
  • BluesMnM
    BluesMnM Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm waiting for my juicer to arrive then I will begin my reboot then transitioning to a plant based diet. I'm excited yet nervous!
  • BluesMnM
    Options
    Very motivating, thanks..
  • sloth3toes
    Options
    I'm waiting for my juicer to arrive then I will begin my reboot then transitioning to a plant based diet. I'm excited yet nervous!

Don't be nervous. I rather randomly went out and bought a juicer one day.... and a big supply of fruits and vegetables. I found out quickly what I liked, and didn't like... and stuck with what I liked, so that I'd stick with it. I only lasted 10 days on straight juice, then started transitioning to eating plant based foods. ( salads for me.... ) I don't avoid animal products as much as I'd like... but it's certainly a helluva lot better than how I used to eat.

ETA * I see you've already joined up at the ETL group. kewl. :wink:
  • Schatze1975
    Options
    You will do amazing!
  • BluesMnM
    Options
    It's here :) My produce is purchased and I'm ready for my big Day 1 tomorrow.. I mostly afraid of my caffeine withdrawls, I drink a LOT of coffee in the morning, then follow it with lots of diet coke or diet mountain dew the rest of the day. I'm EXCITED :)
  • sloth3toes
    Options
    It's here :) My produce is purchased and I'm ready for my big Day 1 tomorrow.. I mostly afraid of my caffeine withdrawls, I drink a LOT of coffee in the morning, then follow it with lots of diet coke or diet mountain dew the rest of the day. I'm EXCITED :)

I had a very bad Diet Dr Pepper habit.... ( I kicked it before I started juicing.... ). My withdrawal symptoms included headaches, a feeling of sort of disorientation, or confusion, and joint pain in my knees. I had to Google about the joint pain, and sure enough, it is a symptom of caffeine withdrawal. And... the symptoms lasted longer than I thought they would. The 1st few days are definitely the roughest... but I think it was close to 2 weeks before I really felt right again.

The thing is... I really hope to stay away from the stuff for life now. I have a very addictive personality, and it would take very little to get me hooked again. So, a few days ( or weeks ) of suffering, to get over it forever, is certainly worth it. I really don't miss it at all, now.
  • sloth3toes
    Options
    A MFP member posted a pretty good review of his 40 day juice fast experience here. The real 'meat' of the thread is his 2nd post farther down in the thread.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1137550-juice-fasting-40-days