who would'a thought lol
  • souzan651
    souzan651 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Interesting read, thanks Kira.
  • JanetLynnJudy
    JanetLynnJudy Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Has anyone else read the news stories lately regarding the addictive nature of Oreos. I noticed in all of the articles it highlights the food as "high-fat/high-sugar" effectively demonizing both equally (though it's worth noting that in every single article I saw "high fat" was mentioned first). The thing is that the variables haven't been completely separated. I haven't see the full study but I know they placed rice cakes up against the oreos and the rats went for the oreos which is the higher fat item, but it's also the higher sugar item. They also pointed out that rats went for the creamy center first which again is the higher fat item, but also the higher sugar item. Then they put the oreos up against cocaine/morphine and the rats chose the oreos just as much as the drugs. “Our research supports the theory that high-fat/ high-sugar foods stimulate the brain in the same way that drugs do,” Schroeder said.

Does anyone else think this could be misleading as it paints fat and sugar as being equal variables in the addictiveness factor? Not to mention some of the other faults with this study ...

https://www.google.com/search?q=oreos+addictive&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#q=oreos+addictive&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&safe=off
  • linbert57
    linbert57 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Has anyone else read the news stories lately regarding the addictive nature of Oreos. I noticed in all of the articles it highlights the food as "high-fat/high-sugar" effectively demonizing both equally (though it's worth noting that in every single article I saw "high fat" was mentioned first). The thing is that the variables haven't been completely separated. I haven't see the full study but I know they placed rice cakes up against the oreos and the rats went for the oreos which is the higher fat item, but it's also the higher sugar item. They also pointed out that rats went for the creamy center first which again is the higher fat item, but also the higher sugar item. Then they put the oreos up against cocaine/morphine and the rats chose the oreos just as much as the drugs. “Our research supports the theory that high-fat/ high-sugar foods stimulate the brain in the same way that drugs do,” Schroeder said.

Does anyone else think this could be misleading as it paints fat and sugar as being equal variables in the addictiveness factor? Not to mention some of the other faults with this study ...

https://www.google.com/search?q=oreos+addictive&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#q=oreos+addictive&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&safe=off

Of course fat will be demonized - that's why the SAD diet is being shoved down our proverbial throats. There is still an abundance of obese/overweight individuals while eating low fat/fat free. Apparently no one reads the labels and sees that sugar is one of the main ingredients. Most people are afraid fat thinking that will make them fat. Reading some of the studies from Kira's link supports what I have experienced eating lchf. My triglycerides alone dropped to half of what they were last year. I love fat!!
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    bump :)