OMG I'm too weak for the empty barbell. What do I do?

Options
LSJC18
LSJC18 Posts: 48 Member
Hey everyone!

I'm sorry if this has been on here before but I'm not sure how tailored to me those answers would have been...

So I 'started' stronglifts 5x5 today at a gym I joined. They have a power rack and everything else needed.

The only bars they have is a 45lb Olympic bar and I had just the worst time trying to actually pull that up to the rack. Forget bench presses and everything else, I can't even lift the bar! When I managed to get the bar up there, I tried a squat but I couldn't because my weak arms couldn't balance the bar.

Another fun fact about me, I can't do a single push up. Not even the modified 'girl' ones. My arms and chest are just skin, fat, and bone.

Any advice on where I can start?

The gym has loads of machines that could help me, like the leg press, chest press, etc. There's also a Smith machine but that maybe seems to be the laughing stock of the stronglifts community.

I just don't know where to start. I feel pretty awful because I'm so weak!

Just any advice that could help me would be really appreciated. Thank you all so much!

Replies

• Mikej77
    Mikej77 Posts: 112
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1104610-has-anyone-started-with-less-then-45lb-bar

I posted this a few weeks ago for my wife. It will be hard if your gym has no other bar options, but I am sure some of the ladies on here will have suggestions.
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    I can't really do press ups either, don't worry about it :)

You can start with bodyweight stuff, a broomstick handle in your own home, dumbbells... it's great to have started, so welcome!
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Try and think of your arms pulling the bar down across your shoulders rather than holding it in place. I would not have said there was a great deal of strength needed to hold it in place - if you can carry groceries etc then you should be ok.

Lots of gyms have dumbells which you could use for goblet squats to start with and use for the other lifts. Once you get to about 12-16kg in dumbells you should be ok with the bar as that is much easier to manage due to being more stable. Or they may have smaller preloaded bars.

Push ups, you can start against a wall if you are really struggling (and really want to do them) then work to box ones then what I consider a ladies push up so you aer on your knees but with the legs at about 45 degrees not 90 and then to full.
  • trosewine
    Options
    I couldn't lift the olympic bar at first either. I started with dumbells - google goblet squats and suitcase deadlift. Bench press is basically the same as is the overhead press. You can do one handed rows with dumbells too. If this gym has the static weight barbells - go for those as well.

It took me about 8 weeks to build up to the bar. Be patient! Squat and deads I cold have done, but moving the bar was a b**ch!!

You can do it!!
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    We all start wherever we start - sometimes that is with dumbbells - and that's perfectly fine. If you stick with it, you'll be throwing that bar around in no time! Goblet squats are great, you can use dumbbells for almost every lift.
  • cpiton
    cpiton Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    We all start wherever we start - sometimes that is with dumbbells - and that's perfectly fine. If you stick with it, you'll be throwing that bar around in no time! Goblet squats are great, you can use dumbbells for almost every lift.

This^^
    I'm just getting back into lifting after an injury and I'm doing goblet squats with a dumbbell right now. My elbow strength has dipped, so I'm working back up to pushups by doing them on my knees, but wall or counter push ups work, too.

You might see if the gym has a 25lb bar. That's what my daughter uses. She can't quite manage the Oly bar yet. (She's 20 and a tiny thing ????) :flowerforyou:
  • kiykiy79
    kiykiy79 Posts: 177
    Options
    I started with dumbbells to build my strength. I think that may be a good place to start. Good luck. We all start somewhere!!
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with the not feeling bad part. Start wherever you need to start.

Check the gym first to see if they have any lighter bars. I work out at home and my set is not olympic, so I started out really light. And I'd guess particularly on upper body lifts, many of us needed to start lighter than 45. If the gym doesn't have any lighter bars and you are really committed to that particular gym, then I would also suggest dumbbells before machines. If you are using dumbbells you'll still be able to work on form better than on a machine.
  • LSJC18
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all your answers. They helped a bunch!

I have checked and there are no bars lighter than 45lbs. Also, I can't change gyms, there just aren't any nearby besides this one.

But they do have dumbbells. I guess I can try those out! Thank you! (:
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Yep, start with dumbbells and work your way up. 45 pounds isn't super light anyway, and there's absolutely no shame in having to work your way up to it.

I started with dumbbells for the overhead press because that's all I could do. I made pretty fast gains from there because I stuck with it. You will too. Start where you can, and progress from there. This is your journey, and it's fine to fit the program around it and start way lower. You'll get to 45 lbs for everything at some point if you just stick to it. You will get stronger, if you are patient with yourself and don't quit.

Part of gaining strength is understanding where you're weak. It's all about respecting boundaries while at the same time pushing beyond them.
  • LSJC18
    Options
    YAAAAAAAAAAY! Thanks everyone for all your great advice. I worked with dumbells and other things to build up my strength and I have finally 'graduated' to the olympic barbell! YEAH! PROGRESS!

Haha.

Thanks everyone! <3
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    BOOM!!! Good progress :drinker:
  • zanyzana
    zanyzana Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Woohoo! That's fantastic! And thanks for checking back in - it didn't really take a long time either! Congratulations :drinker:
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    YAAAAAAAAAAY! Thanks everyone for all your great advice. I worked with dumbells and other things to build up my strength and I have finally 'graduated' to the olympic barbell! YEAH! PROGRESS!

Haha.

Thanks everyone! <3
    CONGRATS!!! And THANK YOU for updating! This thread is very helpful, and your SUCCESS STORY is the cherry on top. :smile: