cholesterol on keto?

What is the right amount on the keto diet? MFP has my daily allotted amount automatically set to 300mg. I know this is too low on keto, but what is the correct amount? What should I be shooting for?

Replies

• MechanicalCritter
    MechanicalCritter Posts: 44 Member
    And I'm confused about the difference between LDL and HDL cholesterol.
  • ellenkilpatrick
    ellenkilpatrick Posts: 67 Member
    LDL cholesterol and triglycerides are the bad stuff that is a predictor for heart disease and HDL is the good cholesterol that we want alot of. HDL levels can be increased by regular exercise and the LDL, beleive it or not can be lowered by decreases in carb intake. The current medical standards are HDL should be over 40 for men and over 50 for women. LDL should be under 120 general pop, under 100 for people living with diabetes and under 70 if one has known cardiac disease. Trigs should be under 150. The medical community looks at total chol to be under 200 but this number is not conclusive. Many ketos or low carbers may see higher total chol levels but their Trig and HDL look really good. There is question whether the standard thought that chol plays a huge role in cardiac events??? I am in the medical profession and I am still researching different sources for myself to determine what levels I personally want to be.
  • MechanicalCritter
    I don't know my levels. I should probably go to the doc and get a full health panel done. But what should daily intake be? Is 300 too high? I'm finding it hard with the increased fat intake on keto to keep my levels under 300 a day.
  • Rei1988
    Rei1988 Posts: 412 Member
    usually averages around 500 on mfp reports
  • MechanicalCritter
    usually averages around 500 on mfp reports

That makes me feel a lot better!
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    There isn't a relationship between dietary cholesterol and your blood cholesterol. Don't worry about dietary cholesterol.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    There isn't a relationship between dietary cholesterol and your blood cholesterol. Don't worry about dietary cholesterol.

Came here to say this. Eat keto, lift heavy things and run around, and your cholesterol will sort itself out.

If you feel like it and have the money or have it covered, it might be a nice idea to get a blood test when you start keto, and then another one 6 months down the line, just so you can rub it in everyone's face that eating bacon cheeseburgers don't make you fat, buns and ketchup and french fries make you fat. I of course didn't do that at all, I don't know what you're talking about, using science and evidence-based testing to say "i told you so" to people... :D
  • MechanicalCritter

Came here to say this. Eat keto, lift heavy things and run around, and your cholesterol will sort itself out.

If you feel like it and have the money or have it covered, it might be a nice idea to get a blood test when you start keto, and then another one 6 months down the line, just so you can rub it in everyone's face that eating bacon cheeseburgers don't make you fat, buns and ketchup and french fries make you fat. I of course didn't do that at all, I don't know what you're talking about, using science and evidence-based testing to say "i told you so" to people... :D

Thank you both very much.
  • I have my cholesterol/triglycerides checked every year. The last one I had done was a year ago (maybe a bit more), and while I was at close to 300 pounds and trying to lose weight by cutting fat and calories but not carbs. I'm going to get my labs redone in a couple of weeks again, and I'm interested in seeing what my numbers have done since last year. I've lost near 40 pounds since the first of the year (which may not seem like a lot, but it's huge for me) by eating LC/keto. I did slip a few times, but I'm still in an overall downward weight trend and even when I carb binge, it's not nearly as bad as when I was on a SAD. I'll report back when I know my numbers.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member

It's a lot of fun to say Neener, neener - pass the bacon, butter and heavy cream :-)

Starting --> 6 months -->1 year --> 18 months

Total Cholesterol - 207 --->172 -->161 -->162

HDL - 37 --> 40 --> 53 -->57

LDL - 136 --> 109 --> 89 --> 93

Triglycerides - 169 --> 116 --> 86 --> 62

RATIOS:

Your Total Cholesterol/HDL ratio is: 2.84 - (preferably under 5.0, ideally under 3.5) IDEAL
    Your LDL/HDL ratio is: 1.632 - (preferably under 5.0, ideally under 2.0) IDEAL
    Your triglycerides/HDL ratio is: 1.088 - (preferably under 4, ideally under 2) IDEAL
  • FXOjafar
    FXOjafar Posts: 174 Member
    I wouldn't worry about how much cholesterol you are eating. Your body actually manufactures 90% of it's needs anyway. All you really need to track is Fat, Protein and Carbs and stick to your macros. The rest is just extras.