Question for the ladies

Options
I have been debating with myself to ask this question so here goes do any of the ladies weigh themselves before or after menstrual cycle as I know we all do fluctuate with our weight at that time I am debating wether I should weigh myself when it is that time.

Thoughts and opinions please

Replies

• Colliey
    Colliey Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Interesting question! Can't say that I have ever thought about my cycle in regards to weight loss weigh in's. I do the same thing each week when I weigh in. Mostly first thing the same morning, each week, naked and on the same scales each time. I know I put on weight during my period but I tend to ignore that (if possible, as I am a worry wart) as I know/believe the weight would come off when finished.
  • melsie02
    Options
    Yup! Then again, I weigh myself everyday. I've noticed that I gain around a kg during that time, so I'm not too worried. I'd say weigh yourself, but be aware that there'll be a bit of a gain because of water weight etc.
  • CaitlinM77
    Options
    Yes! But I also weigh myself every day. I gain around a kilo and and a half/two kilos before my period (It feels like such a cheat when the daily weigh in results in a huge drop) but I do some statistical analysis on the daily data and try not to pay too much attention to the actual number. It's about the trend.
  • mspoopoo
    mspoopoo Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Yes, I would just weigh the same time and day as usual. You know you really didn't gain x amount of pounds so just take it in stride and know you'll be back down the next week.
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Depends.

Like most women I gain a kilo or two that week.

If you are going to freak out and eat a tube of Pringles when the scales go up, don't weigh.

If you are going to see the enduring cycle of life and just keep on following the green MFP numbers, then weigh.

Weight gain due to water retention as part of the menstrual cycle is so mundane.
  • Qski
    Qski Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I can fluctuate about 5kg around that time (on birth control) not sure when I am not taking anything what the difference is. Here is a member who weighed herself everyday and did some cool graphs and stats
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1098806-newbie-loss-plateaus-and-weight-loss-math-with-graphs

The second chart shows her trend with menstrual cycles, it is interesting because even though she always gains during them, she also always loses just before they start.

I also found her chart quite useful because I am one of those people who if there is a scale, I will use it multiple times a day, even though since I am at ww at the moment, my official weigh ins are at the same time, in mostly the same clothes, shoes on a reasonably accurate scale at meetings.

I have just bought a new scale today from Harris Scarf 75% off - mine at home is analog and probably >10years old so I bought a digital one, that also does body analysis and water analysis. I'm a data nerd, so will probably also start tracking my weight daily.
  • manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I don't weight myself at that time, it just adds fuel to my PMS LOL! I caved a couple of months ago and I was 3kg up :| The next week it was all gone.
  • candiceh3
    candiceh3 Posts: 379
    Options
    Yep I still weigh in BUT I keep in mind that weight gain around that TOM is all bloat so I don't get all down about it.
  • fragilegift
    fragilegift Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    My weight fluctuates every day, not just at ttotm. I know this, and understand that food in = higher scale number. Around ttotm, I am more inclined to see a marked drop in weight for some reason, but feel 'full' anyway.
  • JenzL13
    JenzL13 Posts: 27
    Options
    Depends.

Like most women I gain a kilo or two that week.

If you are going to freak out and eat a tube of Pringles when the scales go up, don't weigh.

If you are going to see the enduring cycle of life and just keep on following the green MFP numbers, then weigh.

Weight gain due to water retention as part of the menstrual cycle is so mundane.

I don't weigh myself exactly because of above lol! Even though in my head I KNOW its water retention, I'm already cranky, craving and emotional so seeing the scales goes up makes me even more upset! Lol