Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Question on Carb intake -induction

Hi,

I'm completely new to Atkins. I have never done the diet before so I'm feeling my way around things so any help is really appreciated.

I've been reading the book and I'm starting induction phase today.

I just wanted to check, do people on induction count their carb intake? If you stick to the recommended grams of salad and vegetables a day and the recommended cheese allowance do I need to count or measure anything else?

I'm feeling quite confused, although it seems straight forward for everyone else.

One more thing - if there are any good online resources for Atkins that people go to, please do share them!

Thank you.

Replies

• MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    I don't know the "official" way of doing it, but it couldn't hurt for you to log the first few days. Especially getting used to measure out serving sizes is good for things like dressings or when you introduce nuts/almonds. There are carbs in those and you might think you only eat 1 serving and its 3. I never stuck to induction only food when doing Atkins but you're right....the things you eat have almost no to little carbs that you will be fine if you definitely stuck to those. So no help there really, as long as you're honest with serving sizes.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Andplusalso...I did low carb a few years ago and had great success. Its a learning process as you learn to read labels and you get used to it. You learn what to look for on packaging and what are go to snacks, etc.
  • timwhoa
    timwhoa Posts: 325 Member
    it sounds like you have the "New" atkins book, I personally use the OLD atkins books, but I also feel that any low carb diet is way better than traditional calorie counting, not sure what phase 1 looks like in the new atkins books, with all the "Net carbs" and vegies, I know in the old book 20 grams per day was all that was allowed on induction, and I count them religiously, I only have a green salad at dinner with full fat dressing, I dont count a single calorie, and I do eat some cheese, but I dont count that either, atkins was not a fan of counting things in the old books ( only carbs), I do think the new approach will keep more people hapy and satisfied for longer periods!,,, the old ways of low carbing / induction can get very boring as you eat meat / eggs and / chesse most always, and there are only so many ways ytou can put those together, be careful with thos sugar alchohols and those net carbs, they can stall you each person reacts differenat it appears, some of us are more carb sensative than others,, hope this helps
  • spinnychik
    spinnychik Posts: 7 Member
    I would definitely recommend counting and tracking carbs, as well as tracking your diet and regularly tracking your weight loss. I've found that I drop out of Ketosis at around the 15 gram mark, and my weight loss is the highest if it is below 12 grams. Much lower than that doesn't make a big difference. I wouldn't have figured that out if I hadn't tracked them. I've also found that some foods seem to slow me down. The carb count on them seems to be correct, but they knock me right off track and it takes a few days before weight loss starts again.

It also came in extremely handy when I "took a break" this summer to eat a lot of fresh-from-the-garden "forbidden" veggies for a few weeks. When I started again, I had an easy reference of what I had been eating, and was able to get right back on track.
  • holliesyorks
    holliesyorks Posts: 4 Member
    Thanks everyone for your responses, they have all been very useful.

The 'New Atkins', induction phase does say to have no more than 20g carbs per day, so it sounds similar :) I don't really understand where the carbs will come from, because the phase doesn't really allow foods with carbs. However I will track what i eat and I should have a clearer idea.

Out of interest what foods did you react badly too, if you don't mind me asking?
  • MermaidTX
    MermaidTX Posts: 352 Member
    Hi,

I'm completely new to Atkins. I have never done the diet before so I'm feeling my way around things so any help is really appreciated.

I just wanted to check, do people on induction count their carb intake? If you stick to the recommended grams of salad and vegetables a day and the recommended cheese allowance do I need to count or measure anything else?

I'm feeling quite confused, although it seems straight forward for everyone else.

One more thing - if there are any good online resources for Atkins that people go to, please do share them!

Thank you.

Here's a great video about the New Atkins diet by Dr. Westman of Duke University. He explains a lot of complex things in simple terms so he's easy to follow along.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSLf4bzAyOM

And here's a link to a .PDF that has a list of the foods he discusses

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7HUzyxEtLv5QnJvcndCV3hyNWM/edit?pli=1

It helped me a lot when I first started a ketogenic diet! And when I started, I counted carbs (net carbs). If you want to easily figure out your net carbs, you can change one of your columns in your diary from say Sodium to Fiber (or Sugar to Fiber for example).
  • spinnychik
    spinnychik Posts: 7 Member
    Cucumbers are the worst for me. Just a couple of slices, and I don't lose an ounce for at least another 3 days. Tomato has a similar effect.
  • ginaquinn2
    ginaquinn2 Posts: 136 Member
    Hello that's awesome that you've chosen to try this new way of eating.
    I'm new to this but I think it's important to think of this a life style change
    rather than a diet. This new thing can be confusing but you took a good
    step by coming here to talk to others. There is a free Atkins app that I use
    and really have found helpful. To find it just google Atkins app. It gives you
    the foods approved for each level. You can use it to search for different foods
    and it also gives suggested meals. I personally don't use it but you might find
    it useful. Another thing you might want to try is to find other people here that
    are also doing Atkins and that have open food diary's. My sister is doing this
    and I learn a lot from her open diary. One of my new favorites to satisfy my sweet tooth is "cookies " made with cream cheese, butter, Hershey cocoa and
    vanilla. There are all sorts of fun things to learn. Feel free to add me as a friend.
    I have an open diary. Good luck on this new adventure.
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
    Hey ginaquinn , would you mind sharing your cookie recipe ? I have all those things on hand....mmmm....cooookies !!!
  • holliesyorks
    Brilliant, I have just sent you a request, thank you!
  • holliesyorks
    Hi,

Thank you.

Here's a great video about the New Atkins diet by Dr. Westman of Duke University. He explains a lot of complex things in simple terms so he's easy to follow along.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSLf4bzAyOM

And here's a link to a .PDF that has a list of the foods he discusses

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7HUzyxEtLv5QnJvcndCV3hyNWM/edit?pli=1

It helped me a lot when I first started a ketogenic diet! And when I started, I counted carbs (net carbs). If you want to easily figure out your net carbs, you can change one of your columns in your diary from say Sodium to Fiber (or Sugar to Fiber for example).

These resources are great, thank you for those. I will watch the video later and have a read through the PDF!
  • luvmydoggies
    luvmydoggies Posts: 27 Member
    I am in my first week....thanks for the good resources. will watch video right now