Oatmeal and sugar spike?

trackme
trackme Posts: 239 Member
Hi everyone, I'm new to this disease. I'm also new to very high triglycerides/cholesterol. I have searched the forum and found oatmeal to be high glycemic? My lipid doc wants me to eat oatmeal to lower choesterol, but I noticed my stomach hurting and my sugar is 155 after eating it, no milk, no sugar. At this point, the docs don't want to put me on any diabetic meds and want to see if losing weight will help. I had used Trader Joes toasted oat bran. Anyone else with this problem? If its not one thing, it's another :wink: Thx

Replies

• JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    yep, I can't eat oatmeal...or grains in general. All but a very small serving (a tablespoon or so...why bother?) send me above 140, so I strictly avoid them.

It may seem counter-intuitive, but I brought my lipid panel into line by following a low carb/moderate protein/high fat way of eating. Triglycerides in particular drop dramatically when one restricts carbs.

Starting --> 6 months -->1 year --> 18 months

A1c - 7.3 -->5.5 9(w/ Metformin) --> 5.2 (w/ Metformin) --> 5.1 (no meds)

Total Cholesterol - 207 --->172 -->161 -->162

HDL - 37 --> 40 --> 53 -->57

LDL - 136 --> 109 --> 89 --> 93

Triglycerides - 169 --> 116 --> 86 --> 62

RATIOS:

Your Total Cholesterol/HDL ratio is: 2.84 - (preferably under 5.0, ideally under 3.5) IDEAL
    Your LDL/HDL ratio is: 1.632 - (preferably under 5.0, ideally under 2.0) IDEAL
    Your triglycerides/HDL ratio is: 1.088 - (preferably under 4, ideally under 2) IDEAL
  • I still eat oatmeal and other carbs. I do make sure that I am eating just one serving and that I eat a protein with it. The oatmeal alone will give me high sugar readings, but not when I add the protein.

I found out about my diabetic issue in May. The changes I made in my diet were small. I stopped drinking juice and I cut my meals down to half, but still ate the same things as before. At my 3 month check up, I had lost 25lbs and my A1c had dropped. Bottom line, we over ate in this house and weight loss did change my glucose readings.

Now I am working on increasing exercise or just getting more active, which will help some more with the weight and the triglycerides.

Try different things and see what kind of reading you get. You will find something that works for you.
  • trackme
    trackme Posts: 239 Member
    Thanks for the feedback. I will start eating protein with my carbs, and try to limit them as well. I have heard low carb, high fat works, but docs got me on 20-27 fat grams per day.
  • kjimmie4848
    kjimmie4848 Posts: 123 Member
    Thanks for the feedback. I will start eating protein with my carbs, and try to limit them as well. I have heard low carb, high fat works, but docs got me on 20-27 fat grams per day.

That's tricky. I eat 1/2 dry whole grain oats (14 carbs, 3 protein) every morning with a teaspoon of cinnamon. It raises my bg about 20 points 1 hr pp. Often my bg is higher upon waking (100+) so I wait about 2 hrs before breakfast. If it's down to 85 it will only go to about 105. That's just me though.
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Yep! I was shocked to see how high I went. I used old fashioned and used almond milk instead of regular because I heard it was good. I also added some granola and it all added up pretty fast :( I like oatmeal but I know there are lots of foods that won't spike me and I'm usually higher in the morning anyway.
  • I love oatmeal in the morning and my trade off was to have a Protidiet maple & brown sugar oatmeal. I get mine from DietDirect.com.
  • momjmd
    momjmd Posts: 296 Member
    I just ate 1/4 cup of instant oatmeal with cinnamon in it (cinnamon is supposed to help lower bs spikes) and with a protein drink. I will check my numbers in an hour and see where they are- since it is a half serving of oatmeal with protein, I am hoping it is ok. I like oatmeal.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Yep. Oatmeal jacks up my blood sugar like no one's business :ohwell:
    It's low carb high fat all the way for me :blushing:

I strictly abstain from anything that increases my BG's outside of my targets. The more weight I lost, the more tolerant I became of certain foods, but then the same old 'cravings' came back & I noticed a gradual rise in BG's :sick:

Good luck, it's a balance you have to work out for yourself according to your lifestyle & personal beliefs. Personally, I exchanged the support of my doctor for better numbers and I couldn't be happier.

If anyone's going to take chances with my health, I'd rather it be me, than my Endo. He's just there to keep me from falling off a cliff :laugh:
  • Sparks1971
    Sparks1971 Posts: 7 Member
    I had the same issue with Oatmeal, Cheerios and basically any grains (wheat, quinoa, oats etc) :( -- sad but true. I'm now working on a mostly protein and vegetable diet. Or if I really have to/want to have a grain I make sure it is high fiber (or I eat something high fiber with it) and I try to include protein with it.
  • jamiesurleplage
    jamiesurleplage Posts: 3 Member
    My blood sugar spiked too after eating oatmeal. The nutritionist I see told me the best oatmeal to eat is steel cut, followed by Irish oatmeal. The more "instant" or processed it is, the more likely your blood sugar tends to spike. In order to finish out a box of Whole Foods plain instant oatmeal I bought, I would add a tablespoon of creamy peanut butter and some Benefiber. The diabetic educator I see recommended adding the Benefiber and that definitely slows down the spike for me.