What do you consider low carb?

Options
Heather_MXP
Heather_MXP Posts: 48 Member
I'm currently trying to stay under 25 carbs per meal / 75 carbs per day. I've received conflicting feedback about whether that normal is low enough.

What do you guys consider low carb?

Replies

• kjimmie4848
    kjimmie4848 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I'm currently trying to stay under 25 carbs per meal / 75 carbs per day. I've received conflicting feedback about whether that normal is low enough.

What do you guys consider low carb?

I have my carb goal set at 30% but often go under. Also, my carbs are mostly from whole grains, fruits, and veggies, which are kind to my bg and don't cause much of a spike. Test 1 hr pp and 2 hr pp, keep track of your carbs, and see what kind of carbs and how much your meter tells you is ok.
  • Darlekins
    Options
    Test 1 hr pp and 2 hr pp, keep track of your carbs, and see what kind of carbs and how much your meter tells you is ok.

This. Technically, low-carb is considered to be less than 100 grams per day. Through testing, I know that my liver and pancreas prefer that I stay in ketosis (confirmed with a meter and strips similar to a glucometer). For me, ketosis is under 50 grams per day with exercise, or under 20 grams per day without running.

If you can achieve your target blood glucose levels with higher carb comsumption, more power to you and I'm envious. the important thing is the glucose number.
  • kangaroo33
    kangaroo33 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    First, why are you trying to stay under 25 carbs/meal? Are you counting veggies in your carb count? Low carbs can range per person, so can the glucose numbers you might be looking for. All of that depends on where you are or have been. If you're asking a general question about what low carbs could mean, then I'd say...

Watch the white foods...flour, potatoes, rice, breads, sweets. Stick with natural, unprocessed foods for your best bet.

-Choose whole grain, high fiber foods, where the the "net carbs" are lower 20 or below. A good range for could be 11 to 20 net carbs per meal, based on eating at least every 3 hours, but not going longer than 5. Those meals/snacks should always be carb/protein combos, too.
  • Heather_MXP
    Heather_MXP Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    First, why are you trying to stay under 25 carbs/meal? Are you counting veggies in your carb count? Low carbs can range per person, so can the glucose numbers you might be looking for. All of that depends on where you are or have been. If you're asking a general question about what low carbs could mean, then I'd say...

Watch the white foods...flour, potatoes, rice, breads, sweets. Stick with natural, unprocessed foods for your best bet.

-Choose whole grain, high fiber foods, where the the "net carbs" are lower 20 or below. A good range for could be 11 to 20 net carbs per meal, based on eating at least every 3 hours, but not going longer than 5. Those meals/snacks should always be carb/protein combos, too.

I've gone low carb to control my bg readings, improve my lipid profile, and to lose weight. I've cut all pasta, rice, desserts, and potatoes. The only thing that is labeled a pure carbohydrate that I consume is 1 piece of whole grain bread at breakfast.

I do count veggies toward my carb count and I'm sort of skeptical of the "net carb" idea. I have yet to read anything about it that makes sense or convinces me it's accurate.

I agree with the idea of eating to my meter. It's just that, being new to all of this, I'm awfully curious where other people are in the spectrum.
  • kjimmie4848
    kjimmie4848 Posts: 123 Member
    Options

I've gone low carb to control my bg readings, improve my lipid profile, and to lose weight. I've cut all pasta, rice, desserts, and potatoes. The only thing that is labeled a pure carbohydrate that I consume is 1 piece of whole grain bread at breakfast.

I do count veggies toward my carb count and I'm sort of skeptical of the "net carb" idea. I have yet to read anything about it that makes sense or convinces me it's accurate.

I agree with the idea of eating to my meter. It's just that, being new to all of this, I'm awfully curious where other people are in the spectrum.

Right now, I can still tolerate whole grains fairly well. I have been testing before I eat, 1 hr pp, and 2 hr pp. Being that whole grains can take longer to break down, my 2 hr pp is a few points higher that at 1 hr. I understand that I will probably progress to a point where I can no longer handle any grains, but right now my meter says this is ok for me. But man, just as soon as I eat a few french fries or anything made with white flour or refined sugar, I spike.
  • Chris_B62
    Chris_B62 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Just started eating Ketogenic 2 weeks ago. I have been keeping my net carbs under 20. You can see my food diary, it is open. I'm also looking for new friends traveling this same road as I am for strength and support. Feel free to add me.
  • kangaroo33
    kangaroo33 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Wanted to add to the skeptic feeling about net carbs...Not talking about products that list net carbs with sugar alcohols...that's a whole other issue. Here's where net carbs #s come from....total carbohydrate minus fiber...equals the net carbs. If you eat whole grain bread that has 1 slice with 25 total carbs and 5 gms of fiber, that slice of bread has 20 net carbs. From a diabetic stand point, we are actually supposed to subtract 1/2 of the fiber amount, so that means the net carbs would be a little higher.

Something to think about...try to get at least 5 gms of fiber in the food item, if you're choosing a grain. There's plenty of pitas, breads, wraps out there that will only have about 40-80 calories and 4-10 net carbs. The higher the fiber the better. Your body gets rid of that, but holds on to the rest.

I'll use some Atkins products to satisfy sweets cravings, but at least I'm getting some protein and the carbs are low. I also use EAS advantage protein shakes, low carb, low cal and very satisfying. Those are great for my grab and go...when I don't have the time to plan or prep.

Another important factor is the timing of your eating...no longer than 3 hours between meals/snacks. That means you have to eat at least 7 gms of protein (a string cheese) and some veggie every 3 hours. That will really control your blood sugar. Try it!

Anyway, hope this helps. By the way, I am technically NON-diabetic right now and off of ALL meds!