Reasons to avoid soy at all costs

Options

Replies

• drizzlesugar
    Options
    I will check out the sites you listed. I am a vegan. Would soy be ok in small amounts daily?
  • darla499
    darla499 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I don't really know. From what some other people are saying, yes, as most other things, in moderation :smile:
  • Taem2
    Taem2 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I believe you can eat soy in small quantities in foods such as miso soup but not processed soy that is found in the faux meats and the pure soy protein concentrate because of the insulin-like growth factor 1.
  • litoria
    litoria Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I think there is a lot of pseudoscience out there, especially when it comes to nutrition AND the soy/dairy debate. Unless the article is referenced (and those references are legit) and/or peer reviewed, I'm going to take it with a grain of salt and stick to established knowledge...
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with all natural soy. Here's Dr. Joel Fuhrman's article:

http://www.diseaseproof.com/archives/healthy-food-debunking-the-antisoy-myths.html

My doctor thinks my hot flashes are so minimal because I enjoy tofu about 4 times per week. I agree :)
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Soy is probably just like any other type of produce, the less processed it is and as long as it is non GMO the better. I rarely utilize tofu, but enjoy what I have it in. I also keep a supply of faux "meats" in the freezer for a quick meal, usually boca burgers. Edamame is a staple for me and edamame hummus is my favorite condiment. there is also soy in the protein powder I like to use. I personally see no reason to avoid soy.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    Interesting to read the arguments from both sides. I liked this article, linked to from the Fuhrman article

http://www.foodrevolution.org/blog/the-truth-about-soy/

It seemed like a balanced analysis and I liked his conclusion that it should not be approached as either a miracle cure or a poison but as something to be eaten in moderation. I think Asian cultures have demonstrated this to be safe and perhaps even healthier than the SAD.
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Hi Darla,

Soy has some amazing health properties and it should be an everyday item in just about everyone's diet.
    soy
    Soy products, an affordable investment in your health, are now included in the USDA dietary guidelines. Studies also increasingly show that the phytoestrogens and antioxidant power of the phytonutrients in soy can be effective in protecting against cancer and diseases like emphysema (COPD). Soy is the #1 source of isoflavones and may provide protection against breast cancer and ovarian cancer. Consuming soy-based products has been shown to suppress the fat storage mechanism and to prevent increases in abdominal fat. Soymilk, though, like cow’s milk, may interfere with the benefits of tea such as chai. But as long as it’s shaken, it can provide the same amount of calcium as cow’s milk. Phytoestrogen intake through soy consumption in menopausal adult women may help to reduce hot flashes, while for young girls it is effective may help delay the onset of premature menarche and puberty. Since soy products such as tofu, tempeh, and edamame appear to help lower cholesterol (though not as much as other beans), a soy-based Atkins diet is not dangerous like a meat based one is (though the tofu should not be made with formaldehyde). Another benefit is that bacon derived from soy does not appear to emit carcinogens when cooked, unlike bacon derived from pigs.

See also the related blog posts: Breast Cancer Survival and Soy, Soy and breast cancer: an update

-- http://nutritionfacts.org/topics/soy/

For links and informational videos (with cited peer reviewed journal articles, go to the link abve.
    kind regards,

Ben
  • darla499
    darla499 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Hi Darla,

Soy has some amazing health properties and it should be an everyday item in just about everyone's diet.
    soy
    Soy products, an affordable investment in your health, are now included in the USDA dietary guidelines. Studies also increasingly show that the phytoestrogens and antioxidant power of the phytonutrients in soy can be effective in protecting against cancer and diseases like emphysema (COPD). Soy is the #1 source of isoflavones and may provide protection against breast cancer and ovarian cancer. Consuming soy-based products has been shown to suppress the fat storage mechanism and to prevent increases in abdominal fat. Soymilk, though, like cow’s milk, may interfere with the benefits of tea such as chai. But as long as it’s shaken, it can provide the same amount of calcium as cow’s milk. Phytoestrogen intake through soy consumption in menopausal adult women may help to reduce hot flashes, while for young girls it is effective may help delay the onset of premature menarche and puberty. Since soy products such as tofu, tempeh, and edamame appear to help lower cholesterol (though not as much as other beans), a soy-based Atkins diet is not dangerous like a meat based one is (though the tofu should not be made with formaldehyde). Another benefit is that bacon derived from soy does not appear to emit carcinogens when cooked, unlike bacon derived from pigs.

See also the related blog posts: Breast Cancer Survival and Soy, Soy and breast cancer: an update

-- http://nutritionfacts.org/topics/soy/

For links and informational videos (with cited peer reviewed journal articles, go to the link abve.
    kind regards,

Ben

Thanks Ben!
  • BeauootifulSoup
    Options
    If you want to eat/drink soy products just make sure it is organic and in moderation. just like everything else out there xD
    I personally am not a huge fan, especially when it comes to milks and such. Almond milk ftw!
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    I have wondered about this, I starting eating soy products on a regular basis about 6 years ago. I was on Birth control at the time so I had no acne but my skin started becoming more sensitive, 6 year later I have dermographism which causes are unknown. After stopping BC about a year ago I started getting consistent acne along my lower jawline under my chin only on the right side. I figured it was just from stopping the BC and adjusting to the change in hormones, however a year later the acne continued. So about a month ago I stopped eating all soy that wasn't fermented. I eat tempeh and other fermented soys but not regularly. My jawline acne has cleared up considerably and is still well on it's way (no new pimples) Now I don't know if maybe I had a soy allergy or I was eating too much soy. I wish I could figure out what's been causing everything. Anybody got any ideas? Now if my dermographism clears up I swear I am never touching soy again lol cause it's a pain in the *kitten* to have randomly itchy skin for no reason and also if anything scratches me it swells at the scratch and gets itchy for about 30 minutes then just goes away......sigh so pointless. Anywho that was my experience with soy and stopping soy. No more Jawline Acne
  • drizzlesugar
    Options
    Thank you ! I agree with you. One minute we read something is good for us and the next it is not.
    I feel there is a lot more disease caused by fatty diets that is of greater concern in our society. A lot of folks are debilitated or die from heart disease and strokes, which many times are preventable through diet, exercise, cessation of smoking and controlling and dealing with stress.
  • eleqtriq
    eleqtriq Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    There is a reason to not eat MOST foods, if you think about it. Meat free, gluten free, sugar free, fat free, carb free, soy free, nut free, dairy free, preservative free, MSG free... I've even seen people say not to eat nightshades aka tomatoes and fruits (too much sugar).

Also, just right off the bat, spot checking the facts in these articles. Seems the first link completely misleads about elderly Japanese men and "brain damage". The use of the phrase "brain damage" to describe Alzheimer's is what triggered me on this, BTW.

"White et al.2 analyzed data on 3,734 surviving members of the Honolulu Heart Program. They found that elderly Japanese American men have a higher prevalence of Alzheimer’s disease than do similar groups of men living in Japan. Among the Americans of Japanese descent, 9.3% were suffering from dementia of all causes and 5.4% had Alzheimer’s disease (primary or contributing). In comparison, studies from Japan reported that prevalence of dementia in the range of 1.5% of men 65 years or older."

So they were comparing Japanese men to American-Japanese men. The American-Japanese are the ones getting Alz at a higher rate. Completely misleading. There are SOO many factors involved, there is *NO WAY* to pin that on soy. The first link can be disregarded entirely IMHO.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later
  • appifanie
    appifanie Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I think that all vegan foods are fine in moderation. You never hear anyone freaking out over the hormones in cow milk.

emmydoodles, if you mean the dermatographia, my daughter had that briefly - it turns out she was reacting to something after I changed laundry detergents (from method to ECOS. I switched back and gave it a few days and she's fine.