Any advice??

Options
I have been on a low carb diet (Atkins Induction/Caveman Keto) since 9/6/13. The weight I have lost came off in the 1st 3 weeks now it's maybe a pound if anything at all a week. I have lost about 22 inches as well.

My net carbs are under 25 and quite often under 20. Unless I start licking a butter stick I can't get my fat intake where it needs to be. I just added in nuts but it's more because I am tired of eating the same thing everyday. I'm thinking I could lower my calorie intake but being as big as I am my Doc and MFP recommended 2,500 calories a day, I try to keep under 2000.

Please, If anyone has the time to give me some pointers I would really appreciate it. I feel "stalled" and I'm really just getting started.

Replies

• JanetLynnJudy
    JanetLynnJudy Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

Am I understanding correctly that you lost 22 pounds since you started on 09-06-13? If so that's a really amazing loss! Congratulations either way though, you are off to a great start!

I have noticed that after a big loss I can go for weeks without losing anything at all. Stalls are normal even when you are staying on plan. I haven't dropped below my lowest recorded weight since 10-04-13 and at the moment I'm actually 4.6 pounds above my lowest recorded weight. In that time period, I have dropped down to my lowest recorded weight twice and back up again, but not below it. If I just looked at the start of that time frame to now I might get discouraged, but I have to look at the big picture too. 10-21-13 was my one year anniversary of logging every day on MFP and I lost 72 pounds in the time so I'm losing about 6 pounds a month. This is also why I weigh every single day so I can see this rollercoaster and get used to it. I can kind of see a pattern now in the way I lose weight so it's no longer as scary.

As far as feeling like you are lacking variety in your food choices ... I don't go quite as low carb as others here. My net carbs usually range from the upper 20's to 40's. I don't consider my diary as clean as many others here so they may have better insight for someone wanting to maintain a carb count that low. I can say this though - eating low carb gets easier. I don't feel like I'm missing out by eating low carb and I never go to bed hungry. You can experiment and find what works right for you. If you are missing a carby foods, you can post here and see if anyone has suggestions about a lower carb alternative.

I hope this helps!
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Wow! What a great start!

I think a lot of us see those awesome results from the first 2-3 weeks, and think that the rest of our weight loss journey will be just as fast. And then the disappointment and demotivation hit. just need to reset expectations for more of 5-10 pounds per month.

Maybe open your diary so we can provide additional feedback.

caveman Keto has some great menu ideas.
    http://cavemanketo.com/

And I get a ton of menu ideas and motivation / inspiration from reddit's keto page.
    http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/

And I love this keto calculator. this can help you get an idea of how much your calorie deficit is, and what to expect for losses.
    http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

Good luck! You really are doing fantastic.
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    well gosh, that's a lot of progress in what , like six weeks??. do you mean 22 pounds or 22 inches?? if 22 inches that's a lot!
    my diary is open if you need help or ideas. ultra low carb can get a little boring. I found that I can raise my carbs a bit as long as I do the carbs in the morning so that by the time I turn in I'm in what I call nocturnal ketosis and the weight (or the fat) seems to keep coming off.

for getting enough fat have you considered cheeses? cheese comes in so many varieties and flavors. the French sure get it, I'm sure you can find ideas built around cheese. there are even non dairy cheeses. Also for fat is avocado's in a salad or an omelette. I'm a Californian with my own tree so Avocados are easy, but the fat in an avocado is ideal. then of course there is eggs.

consider low carb fatty meats like lamb or even prepared coldcuts like salami's. and of course there's always BACON!
  • Gnaterlie
    Options
    Hi,

Thank you all for the help!! Today was a bit off, I ate more today than I have in some time. My mother-in-law told me about Dreamfields pasta and that it has only 5 soluble net carbs and doesn't spike her glucose. I try to only have it twice a month. if there is leftovers it may pop back in for a lunch meal. Today was that day. I was still in ketosis last time I ate it and I'm hoping it will be the case this time.

The Lazy Keto Chicken is a new favorite. My husband loved it, which is great because I don't have to cook separate things! I think I need to start planning out weekly meals and it will help with variety. I just get to a point where I don't want to cook and I'll eat eggs, some cheese or hamburger patties.

I have lost 22 pounds and 21.75 inches, total. If I wasn't taking my measurements I really would feel like nothing is happening. I did Atkin's a few years ago and the weight fell off the first few months. I opened my diary, sorry about that I thought it was. It's very repetitive and quite boring most days. I have been having killer chocolate cravings and trying to not just go crazy with that.

Oh, bacon...I never thought I would get tired of it. I've been laying off of it for a bit but I'll bring it back. I'm afraid to up my carbs since the scale isn't moving. Even today my total carbs finished at 38 with net being at 19. I felt like I ate a ton today when I looked over my food diary.
  • purple_tux1
    purple_tux1 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    It's pretty normal for weight loss to slow down. Remember, you're in it for the long-haul. Even if your weight loss stalled all-together, it wouldn't be a horrible thing. It would give your body time to adjust to the rapid weight loss and time for you to experiment with new foods/recipes and make it sustainable. I had pretty good success with low carb last year, but found myself eating the same things over and over to the point I couldn't stand looking at scrambled eggs anymore. After regaining most of the weight, I'm back at it again and trying to add more variety and make it more livable long-term rather than focussing so much on the numbers.
  • JanetLynnJudy
    JanetLynnJudy Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    For chocolate cravings I have a couple things I use -

Soy Slender Chocolate Soy Milk. 1g net carb per serving.

Yoo-Hoo Chocolate Flavor Mix Singles To Go! 1g carb per serving. I add to unsweetened
    almond, coconut or soy milk.

Blue Bunny Sweet Freedom Ice Cream Bars (multiple varieties) about 4 net carbs per each.

Atkins Bars (multiple varieties). These vary. Some are really good and some are not. I think the Caramel Chocolate Peanut Nougat Bar ones are gross, but the Caramel Chocolate Nut Roll ones are good, so even ones that look or sound like they would taste the same sometimes don't. They have Atkins versions of Reese's Cups and M&M's now that are pretty good. These range from 1 to 6 net carbs per serving.

There's lots of other options too like Quest bars, homemade low carb chocolates, etc ...

Of course there is a frankenfood / sugar alcohol factor here so YMMV. Some people are really sensitive to them. I try to limit my consumption to sugar alcohol heavy food items to one per day, but lately I've been having more so I'm trying to scale back on that. I don't think these are the best things to eat, but I do think these things really help me from completely going off plan.
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    My new fave for the chocolate cravings is 1/4 cup of 35% whipping cream (about 200 calories) blended so it turns into whipped cream with just a little bit of unsweetened cocoa and you choice of sweetener if you need/want it. Absolutely perfect for that dreaded TOM too
  • Gnaterlie
    Options
    Thank you for the support!! I am a work in progress so I just need some time to figure out what's best. 22 pounds in 6 weeks is good! I gotta stop watching The Biggest Loser reruns. I don't work out 6 hours a day so those types of losses aren't going to happen for me.
  • GabyBaby916
    GabyBaby916 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    For major chocolate cravings, I buy unsweetened bakers chocolate.
    Melt it, add in butter and Splenda to sweeten, then either use a mold to make a low carb candy bar or drop tablespoonfuls on a piece of parchment or wax paper. Let it solidify, then enjoy!
  • craudi
    craudi Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I buy 88% dark chocolate then melt it with some butter and just eat it with a spoon!!! I also made some amazing hot cocoa last night with that melted butter chocolate and some warm heavy cream, blended it up with a 1/2 tsp maple syrup (I avoid artificial sweeteners) and it was TO DIE FOR. And super fatty!!! :) Yay!
  • Nicole9187
    Nicole9187 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I don't think I would make it if I didn't have this shake almost every night!

Ingredients Calories Fat Protein Carbs Fiber SA's Net Carbs
    1 cup (180g) ice cubes 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
    3/4 cup (178.5g) cream, heavy whipping 615.75 66 3.75 5.25 0 0 5.25
    2 tbsp (25g) 'Swerve' or other sugar equivalent 0 0 0 25 0 25 0
    1 tbsp (5.38g) unsweetened cocoa powder 12.25 1.13 1.07 3.13 1.82 0 1.31
    1/2 tsp (2g) vanilla extract 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
    1 dash (1g) salt 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
    Totals: 628 67.13g 4.82g 33.38g 1.82g 25g 6.56g
    Per Serving: 628 67.13g 4.82g 33.38g 1.82g 25g 6.56g *

That is from www.djfoodie.com and let me tell you it is delicious! I also eat fat bombs and cream cheese clouds because I struggle with eating enough fat some days as well.

Congrats on your weightloss!!
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Wow! What a great start!

I think a lot of us see those awesome results from the first 2-3 weeks, and think that the rest of our weight loss journey will be just as fast. And then the disappointment and demotivation hit. just need to reset expectations for more of 5-10 pounds per month.

Maybe open your diary so we can provide additional feedback.

caveman Keto has some great menu ideas.
    http://cavemanketo.com/

And I get a ton of menu ideas and motivation / inspiration from reddit's keto page.
    http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/

And I love this keto calculator. this can help you get an idea of how much your calorie deficit is, and what to expect for losses.
    http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

Good luck! You really are doing fantastic.

I'd be estatic with 5-10lbs a month! I lost 2lbs this week, that's the most yet. Usually it's around .5lbs per week. I have 15lbs to go to my goal weight, but once I get there and see how I look, I might (will probably) continue.
  • crossroad2012
    crossroad2012 Posts: 84 Member
    Options

I wonder if I put a lot of ice if this would be like soft serve! I can't wait to try it out...thanks for the recipe :happy:
  • Nicole9187
    Nicole9187 Posts: 122 Member
    Options

I wonder if I put a lot of ice if this would be like soft serve! I can't wait to try it out...thanks for the recipe :happy:

I put mine in my nutri-bullet and it is like a thick milkshake...only without all the guilt =)