Keeping it off, stinky breath etc

Options
Flmommy1
Flmommy1 Posts: 67 Member
#1 what is maintenance like once I loose the weight? Will I be eating keto for the rest of my life?

#2 will my breath stink the whole time :)

#3 do I need to use keto sticks or can I just wing it if I keep my carbs under 20 (actually when I changed my macros to keto friendly setting my 5% carbs came out to 18 grams)

#4 is there anything I need to be on the lookout for as far as my health goes when in keto? I read some scary stuff about liver failure and organ damage as well as lots of good things about keto and just want to be safe. I am healthy and have been following a paleo diet the past 6 months. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• stevamber
    stevamber Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I can only answer #3, I personally don't use ketostix because I know I'm in ketosis if my carbs are under 20 and they would give me something more to obsess about.
  • lbvermillion
    lbvermillion Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I will be eating keto for the rest of my life, I like the way I feel and how clear my mind is. I have not had any issues with stinky breath. I also do not use keto sticks, just keep carbs low and watch protein (I keep protein 120g to 150g and shoot for 25g per meal) and it is never a problem.
  • Jasmine_James
    Jasmine_James Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    #1 Personally, I plan to eat keto/low carb as my lifestyle for the rest of my life. I get my carbs from green vegetables, nuts (peanut butter) and chocolate, mainly. I'm healthiest eating this way and I want to eat healthy for life, so that's my plan.

#2 Just brush often.

#3 I think keto sticks can be helpful when you are first starting out as an indicator, but they are not necessary or entirely accurate. If you really want to know, get a blood glucose meter. That said, I have the meter at home and have never gotten around to using it and I no longer use the sticks. After a while, you can really tell when you are in ketosis by the way you feel, your energy level, etc.

#4 I won't get into all the science of it because you can Google that, but in keto your body will be dumping a lot of sodium/potassium/magnesium. I purchase high-quality sea salts (not all salt is created equally) and put it on as many meals as possible. If you get a headache a few days in, chances are good you need more salt; when that happens to me, I actually take salt shooters to get my levels up. Also good to take potassium and magnesium supplements as you'll likely not be able to get enough from foods. Additionally, I personally take Cod Liver Oil for its health benefits.

I guess I would also mention that it's cool you have been eating paleo. I see some people do "keto" but it's all from fast food, processed junk, which I personally don't believe is healthy. I eat pretty close to paleo/primal, except I have dairy in the form of cream cheese, heavy whipping cream, grass-fed butter and some cheese (and I'm cool with that because it's high-quality dairy and it agrees with me).