going over on protein ? turns to sugar ?

Options
How far over your macros can you get before protein turns to sugar ? I'm 14 over today, some times 20, my protein goal is like 80ish.....should I try harder to stay right at it ? Just curious.

Replies

• Chris_B62
    Chris_B62 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I would like to know the answer to that too. I just finished 2 weeks induction. My Net Carbs are below 20 but my fat and protein grams are usually way over. My fiber is real low too.
  • Rei1988
    Rei1988 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    It's likely that there is no "breaking point", it varies for everyone & how active they & their metabolism are. I've been told to focus on your percentage more than the actual grams. As long as your not way over everyday you should be fine. Keep the fat high!
  • JanetLynnJudy
    JanetLynnJudy Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    The r/ketogains wiki has a section on this

http://www.reddit.com/r/ketogains/wiki/index#wiki_macronutrients.3A_timing.2C_quality_for_keto_and_sports

"Protein has both ketogenic effects (46%) and anti-ketogenic effects (58%). This reflects the fact that 58% of dietary protein will appear in the bloodstream as glucose, raising insulin and inhibiting ketogenesis.

Protein also stimulates glucagon release and has some pro-ketogenic effects.

Therefore, protein intake must fall within a narrow range: high enough to prevent muscle loss but low enough that ketosis is not disrupted.

Although there are no hard and fast rules for how much protein can inhibit ketosis, some individuals have reported trouble maintaining ketosis if they consume too much protein per day, or even excessive amounts of protein at a given meal.

To the contrary, some individuals have eaten 1.2 grams protein/lb or higher and had no problems establishing and maintaining ketosis.

This may be related to the glycogen depletion caused by weight training. In a depleted state, incoming carbohydrate is used to refill muscle glycogen before it is used to refill liver glycogen.

In essence, the depletion of muscle glycogen provides a ‘sink’ for excess glucose produced from dietary protein or carbohydrate intake.

Therefore, suggested protein intake depends from person to person and should be set according to lean body mass and activity / exercise levels.

Sedentary people: 0.8g per lean pound

Mildly active or doing endurance / strength training: 0.8 to 1.0g per lean pound

Heavy strength training / bodybuilders: 1.0 up to 1.2g per lean pound

These are general guidelines."

That's just an excerpt there's more information in the link. I hope this helps!
  • Chris_B62
    Options
    Thanks all. After doing a bit more research I discovered I was using the default % for weight loss from MFP. I have changed my % to Carb, Protein, Fat = 5, 25, 75. After this change I discovered I was on target. Yea!
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Another factor to consider is when one meal is very high in protein. My husband and I used to go to KFC and have the grilled chicken for lunch. This was dark meat with skin. Even though the rest of the day had a lot of fat, that one meal would sometimes kick my husband out of ketosis (we were testing with blood ketone tester, not Ketostix, so it was pretty conclusive that this was the cause). Try to make sure that every meal has some fat with whatever you are eating.
  • Chris_B62
    Options
    Another factor to consider is when one meal is very high in protein. My husband and I used to go to KFC and have the grilled chicken for lunch. This was dark meat with skin. Even though the rest of the day had a lot of fat, that one meal would sometimes kick my husband out of ketosis (we were testing with blood ketone tester, not Ketostix, so it was pretty conclusive that this was the cause). Try to make sure that every meal has some fat with whatever you are eating.

I see your posts in several places and you seem VERY knowledgeable regarding maintaining Ketosis. Can you explain a little bit about why a high protein / low fat meal could throw you out of ketosis? And, how little fat is too little per meal? I would like to friends request you so that I might learn some more.
  • djthom2
    djthom2 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I've been having the same problem. I'm just not sure what keeps knocking me out. The weekend of the 20th I know it was to much protein and gained 3lbs. I managed to correct that and lose those 3, but now for some reason over the last 3 days I've gained them back and I've got that headachey, foggy feeling that says I've knocked myself out again and I don't know why.:frown:
  • mrdexter1
    mrdexter1 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Some would say i go well over protein at 220g and too low on fat at 90g ,but at low body fat and wanting to preserve muscle, i achieve ketosis at these levels, excreating loads of ketones...

maybe the macros needed are tied to what you are trying to achieve - lean body mass or fat % if you like , but one things for sure , anyone at the higher end of the bodyfat scale is going to see their weight drop dramatically if they stick below 20g of carbs and limit to 1800 cals ...
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    djthom2 - your diary looks incredibly good. I'd be shocked if you weren't in ketosis. Are you supplementing your electrolytes? You need 3-5 g of sodium per day, plus potassium and magnesium. Low sodium can cause headaches and dizziness, so maybe that's the issue? Try a cup of broth and see if that helps.
    I see your posts in several places and you seem VERY knowledgeable regarding maintaining Ketosis. Can you explain a little bit about why a high protein / low fat meal could throw you out of ketosis? And, how little fat is too little per meal? I would like to friends request you so that I might learn some more.

This is likely going to vary by person. If you're someone who works out a lot and you do strength training, then you will be able to utilize the converted protein.

The info that Kyanca posted on protein targets is excellent.

Here's what Phinney and Volek have to say in "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance".
    Snap Shot
    * Too little or too much protein can be problematic in the keto adapted state.
    * Aim for a protein intake between 0.6 - 1.0 grams per pound of lean body mass
    * Rather than consume large portions of meats or other protein foods, focus on small to moderate protein portions and combine them with generous portions of good sources of fat (e.g;, sauces, butter, olive oil).

Basically though, carbs and protein can both impact blood glucose and insulin. Fat is the substance that doesn't impact either. So you need to keep both protein and carbs in check. The bulk of calories should therefore come from fat.
  • djthom2
    Options
    I take a magnesium supplement most nights and I eat at least 3g of sodium most days. I put salt on my salad and meat that I don't bother to track. I work out lifting and cardio 3 to 5 days a week. one of my biggest problem is I am a meat eater.I try to eat fatty meat and the skin on my chicken as much as possible. My other issue is finding ways to eat enough fat to make up for it. I'm not big on cheese or dairy except cream cheese. I have yet to find a fat bomb that I enjoy so when i'm low on fat I usually resort to green olives and there seems to be some controversy over whether they are a good source of fat for keto. I think because I drink so much water the keto sticks never register anything for me, making it hard for me to tell if i'm definitely in ketosis
  • Nicole9187
    Nicole9187 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Which magnesium supplement are you using?

Since you like cream cheese, have you tried the cream cheese clouds or the vanilla cream cheese "pudding"?
  • djthom2
    Options
    I'm taking slow-mag. I've never heard of cream cheese clouds our the pudding