Y'all still here?

Options
Julene64
Julene64 Posts: 63 Member
Hey there fellow homesteaders, I've just started over here at MFP and recently joined this group but haven't seen any new activity. Just wondering if y'all are still here or not and if anyone who is still here is interested in talking about our homesteading experiences and goals. Thanks!

Replies

• SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    It's been pretty quiet on this particular board, but I think some of us are still here. :)
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    Definitely still lurking just been a lot on my plates with cleaning up the garden for winter, some serious batch cooking ahead of me as well as running the dehydrator and I've been dreading the thought of the lack of fresh greens / veggies for the winter so just picked up my supplies for sprouting. I'll see how that goes over the next week or so.

Managed to score the bench-grinder I've been watching for at a yard-sale this past weekend, they had a band-saw that I wanted (drill is used to power it) but couldn't quite meet on price after the earlier scores at other yardsales. Some great carboys for cider and / or wine since I got enough to do both... still watch when I'm returning empties for someone with a load of wine bottles... same deposit on those as the twist-off beers that I get from the sandpits where the kids party it up on the weekend so usually an easy trade. Also scored some "clearance" propane tanks, nothing wrong with them just the wrong season so they marked them down... 1/3 of the price of entering the "tank swaps" locally where they want X if you don't already have a tank and you're not guaranteed to get a 'full' one in exchange for your empty. Hoping to make it out to the country store I did last year where I scored 60 of the 1lb propane containers (disposable) for I think 10% of the usual price, just another item they didn't want to deal with storing.. I've got the ventilated space so I'll store them ;)
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Still here! I'm another one who needs to turn over my garden and still have a lot of canning to do...summer just flew by
  • Julene64
    Options
    Hey all, thanks for the responses. Glad to see at least y'all are still here. This is a busy time for homesteaders for sure. I have several large raised beds I need to move and get my "lasagna layers" into. I have a barn that needs a lot of repair if I'm going to get animals in it next spring. There's a chicken coop and rabbit hutches that need building, countless trees to prune, fruit trees to plant, firewood to stack, an overgrown pasture to bush hog. And then there's the house! Windows to replace, siding to put up, a hundred (it seems) fix-it projects to get done. But I wouldn't trade this life for anything! :smile:
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    Well you mentioned chickens and rabbit hutches, but have you perhaps considered HOGS for that overgrown pasture?
    We fenced ours in any areas we wanted to expand the garden into, broadcast some of their favorite treats and let them go to work, they turned it all over... following behind them with the chickens after the pigs have been moved off cut way down on the garden pests. No more busting MY back and fighting with equipment when they're willing to do it as part of their every day routine ;)

I do need to make an effort to prep the area for my fruit trees and come up with a concrete plan for what items i want. Currants, walnuts... I like the set it and "forget it" of the perennials like rhubarb and the fruit trees once they're established.

There's always something to be done in this life, if you think you've got a break look harder, especially in the areas you can't "easily" see in a normal day.
  • gingabebe
    gingabebe Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    i am still on here too. I have been super busy and haven't commented a lot. Maybe that's the case for a lot of others too!
    I have a confession, my garden went unattended and neglected this year for the most part. We were finishing a home addition and building a new chicken coop. My tomatoes died, but my kale went strong and is still growing. I love kale!
  • Julene64
    Options
    Pandorian, using hogs to work the pasture is a great idea. But we'd have to put up a LOT of fence first to keep them out of the road as well as the creek. But I really like that idea! We wanted to get some heritage breed hogs at some point anyway. Thanks for the tip!