How many hours a day do you spend on you’re *kitten* commuting?

Options
IPAkiller
IPAkiller Posts: 711 Member
I know this group was created for “at work” activity, but I really consider my commute to and from the office to be part of “work”. I don’t know about you guys but the average time between locking my front door and sitting at my desk is an hour; 2 hours a day, 10 a week or 560 a year (roughly). As for me personally, this time is spent behind the wheel of a car with moderate to heavy traffic.

road-rage.jpg

In the door pocket I keep something similar to this:

practice-crazy-promotion-heavy-font-b-hands-b-font-font-b-exercises-b-font-font-b.jpg

I won’t bore you with details of sets and reps with this thing, but I do use it while driving. I’m pretty sure it serves as an outlet for stress relief more than anything. It also serves as a distraction from a previous driving activity, smoking (that and gum). Additionally, once I get in the parking lot I choose a spot out in the boonies so I can get a little walk into work. And of course, I skip the elevator and take the stairs.

So, let’s hear it. How long is your commute? Do you drive, bus, train or other (you crazy bicyclists are exempt)? What are you doing to utilize this normally wasted time period?

-D

Replies

• kayla2315
    Options
    My total commute door-to-door each way is about 1.5 hours. Of that, about an hour I am sitting on the bus or driving about 2 mins from the park-n-ride to the house. I am going to grad school in January so I will be spending most of that time studying. The other .5 hour of my commute I spend walking from the bus station to my work building(I work downtown). I really should take the stairs when I get to work, but I work on the 21st floor so that doesn't sound like the most appealing thing first thing in the morning!

Plus I do stairs once(switching to twice) a week with a coworker. Maybe I'll start next week taking the stairs up to my floor each morning for a little extra push...
  • kpush910
    kpush910 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    At best 45 minutes each way, but that almost never happens. Generally its 1 hr 10 minutes each way. And it's only 35 miles. Over 2 hours a day. Ugh.

Does clenching your teeeth, waving your arms around and swearing at other drivers count as exercise?

I do bring my bike to work a few times a week and get in a 10 mile ride at lunch. Or a 3-4 mile walk if the weather cooperates. Now that its getting colder, this is getting tougher to do.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    NONE!! I live a half mile from my job. In February 2013 (after I saw my horrible driver's license photo where I looked like a fat old man instead of a woman) I decided to leave my car in the driveway and walk... and I've been walking ever since. I also take my calm dog to work, so she gets a nice walk, too. Sometimes we go the long way home. I can't believe I spent years driving when I could have been walking. It has raised my whole quality of life since I live in a historic town with sidewalks everywhere. One mile to 1.5 miles a day doesn't seem like much, but it's an extra 20+ miles a month walking.

Good luck to all you car commuters!
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    I know this group was created for “at work” activity, but I really consider my commute to and from the office to be part of “work”. I don’t know about you guys but the average time between locking my front door and sitting at my desk is an hour; 2 hours a day, 10 a week or 560 a year (roughly). As for me personally, this time is spent behind the wheel of a car with moderate to heavy traffic.

road-rage.jpg

In the door pocket I keep something similar to this:

practice-crazy-promotion-heavy-font-b-hands-b-font-font-b-exercises-b-font-font-b.jpg

I won’t bore you with details of sets and reps with this thing, but I do use it while driving. I’m pretty sure it serves as an outlet for stress relief more than anything. It also serves as a distraction from a previous driving activity, smoking (that and gum). Additionally, once I get in the parking lot I choose a spot out in the boonies so I can get a little walk into work. And of course, I skip the elevator and take the stairs.

So, let’s hear it. How long is your commute? Do you drive, bus, train or other (you crazy bicyclists are exempt)? What are you doing to utilize this normally wasted time period?

-D

Great idea, BTW!
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I used to enjoy long car rides until MFP. ;)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    My ride to work is about 20-30 min, depending on how we hit the lights and whether we are early enough to miss the school zone. But my husband and I car pool and he usually drives so I use this time to apply my makeup. About half of it is on back roads so it's not a stressful commute.
  • MartialPanda
    MartialPanda Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    UGH.............forever. Not really but it feels that way.

about 40-45 minutes each way. If it's f'in nuts out there it can get up 1 1/2 hours. Fuggin F fudge. It's the worst and it makes me sad.
  • aseymour13
    aseymour13 Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Until Friday, it has been a fairly short commute but long hours at the actual desk. Starting on the 11th, it will be 50mins - 1 hr. I will take the train some days which takes a bit longer. The good part of that is it will be a 6 block walk from the train station to my office (I live in SoCal so the weather does not often create much of a hardship for walking). I tend to start early mostly so I can get home and get a workout in.

And I would agree with you that the commute time contributes to the work time!!!! I like the idea of figuring out some isometric exercises while commuting. Especially on the train!