Well now this is a first...

Options
Usually, it takes some crazy crash diet for me to lose anything impressive for the first week of any program I go on. Of course if you cut carbs/calories to very low levels, you're going to deplete glycogen, lose water weight, all that jazz, and have a nice week 1 weigh in.

So explain this..... I've done nothing but ramp UP my calories and carbs for about 6 weeks (Prior to this, I was eating low carb, 1000-1200 calories a day). The first 5 weeks, I did this on my own, just trying to hit my daily macros by the end of the day and get in around 1500 calories. My weight was all over the place. My weight graph looks like a heartbeat readout.

Week 6, I put into action an eating plan that is more balanced. I eat 6x/day, and each meal is proportioned the same as far as macros go. When I started doing this, the scale stopped moving all over the place. It got to a level spot and stayed there for three days. Again, this is NOT typical for me. This new plan also threw about another 300-400 calories a day at me.

Imagine my surprise then, when after a 3 day level off, I hopped on the scale and noticed a nice downward trend. By the end of the week, I had lost just about 5#. And this happened without depleting my glycogen. It happened with 150g of carbs a day, 1800 calories a day, more than I've eaten in years. It even included a cheat meal of a Chipotle burrito bowl and some home made oatmeal cookies and even some wine.

Needless to say, I'm happy to be on this new approach. Starving yourself is not the answer. This experience has made a believer out of me. :) Oh ya, AND my workouts aren't leaving me crippled anymore. Yay! It was pretty bad in the beginning. I'd do a leg circuit with my trainer and then couldn't walk for 3 days, LOL Arm workouts? Couldn't hardly get dressed for 3 days. My muscles are starting to get used to being USED. It's a nice feeling all around!

Replies

• jbnl1991
    jbnl1991 Posts: 149
    Options
    Wonderful news! You are giving your body what it needs. You are fueling your workouts. You are using your muscles. Your body is responding.

Thanks for sharing and keep trusting in the process!
  • CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I wanted to put it out there because I know there are a lot of skeptical people. I was one of them! I feel amazing, so much better, and I can't wait to see the long term effects of eating more and truly nourishing my body. From what I understand, there are added benefits like stronger hair and nails. Ooh la la!
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Sooooooo glad to hear you're having success!!! This process does work....you just gotta have faith and persistence!!!
  • CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Faith, persistence, and food. Lots and lots of food. This is what I spend my Sunday afternoon doing:

2013-10-27222557_zps6468edcb.jpg
    2013-10-27222240_zps46ab35c1.jpg

That's six grilled chicken breast, a pound of ground turkey, 10 servings of brown rice, a dozen hard boiled eggs, green and red chopped cabbage, pumpkin puree, curried catfish, three servings cod, four servings sockeye salmon, a pound of NC shrimp, coconut milk, and berries. All mine. Lot of work, but the payoff will be worth it!
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Great post! you are my new hero! I found though that 1800 works for me, even with wine thrown in but, when due to a bad cold and back, I stopped exercising the weight started to creep back up so lesson learnt. 1800 works for me when exercising 3 times a week but, if not, I should cut back a bit! Good luck with your progress and please keep posting. It is very encouraging!