Winter base building

Options
3dogsrunning
3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
I have a half marathon coming up in a couple of weeks. After that I am looking at what training I am going to be doing. I have a bike trainer and I belong to a master swim club. Basically I am looking for programs to improve primarily my bike over the winter but keep up my distance in running. Any suggestions?
I have only ever completed sprint distance. My goal is to move up in distance to HIM although the timing may be an issue. My plan is to train for the distance even if I won't get to actually do one this year.

Replies

• scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Well you have a couple of options IMO.

1. Hire a coach. As a matter of disclosure I am a coach, but in all honesty hiring a coach is probably the best thing I ever did. Coaches tailor programs to address your specific weaknesses. Also as athletes we tend to lack the ability to be objective about our needs and a coach will fill that role. We also tend to like to train our strengths (because we're good at them) and neglect our weaknesses. A good coach won't let you do that.

2. Buy a training program from a site like Training Peaks. There are free programs everywhere on the internet from Beginner Triathlete as well as several of the other multisport sites. You get what you pay for in this area. Most box programs are designed for the "average" triathlete so the address all things equally. Personally I think it's a bad approach.

3. Buy a book like Be Iron Fit. They have plans and sometimes variations on plans based on perceived weaknesses.

4. Go with a free plan.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions.

I had planned on hiring a coach when I was able to commit to a race. I am just not sure I can justify the cost right now without having a goal I can commit to.
  • scott091501
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions.

I had planned on hiring a coach when I was able to commit to a race. I am just not sure I can justify the cost right now without having a goal I can commit to.

Totally get that.

Endurance Nation has some good off season plans too.
  • cwsikes
    cwsikes Posts: 86
    Options
    Since you have a bike trainer, if you haven't heard of TrainerRoad then check it out. If you have the right kind of trainer, it lets you train with virtual power which will let you perform structured workouts on your trainer. They also have many different cycling plans with different focuses that you can follow.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    Since you have a bike trainer, if you haven't heard of TrainerRoad then check it out. If you have the right kind of trainer, it lets you train with virtual power which will let you perform structured workouts on your trainer. They also have many different cycling plans with different focuses that you can follow.

Thanks
  • Im4gin3th4t
    Im4gin3th4t Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Have you been to beginnertriathlete.com? they have winter cycling plans, I am pretty sure they are free but I could be wrong
  • lj3jones
    lj3jones Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Have you been to beginnertriathlete.com? they have winter cycling plans, I am pretty sure they are free but I could be wrong
    yes there are free winter cycling programs on BT, Jorge has a good one that is always popular I think they post about it on the challenge forum?
  • scott091501
    Options
    yes there are free winter cycling programs on BT, Jorge has a good one that is always popular I think they post about it on the challenge forum?

I believe his newest one is power based. There is also an old one that is HR based.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Is there a link to that HR plan, or to the "Challenge" forum...? I'm looking but either I'm in the wrong place or I'm in old-man-brain mode!
  • lj3jones
    lj3jones Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I looked yesterday and couldn't find it yet for 2013. I'll see if I can find the thread from 2012

ETA - here is the 2012/2013 thread
    http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=467103&page=1#