Marthon training & losing too much weight

Options
thepetiterunner
thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
Hi runners!

I have a question for some of you more veteran marathon runners. I'm currently training for my second marathon and this time, I'm actually training appropriately, following a good schedule and training with a group. Training is going pretty well, but I seem to keep losing weight. I know this seems like a "silly" problem to have on MFP, but I've lost about 4-5 lbs since the beginning of training (it started in mid-August). This may not sound like a lot, but I'm tiny and losing 5 lbs normally would probably take me the better part of a year if I'm eating right, strength training and running regularly.

Anyway, my question is how do you guys keep the weight on? I've been upping my calories and pretty much eating anything that I want (I keep pretty healthy habits anyway). I haven't been logging regularly, but I keep a notebook with me and a running total in my head, so I'm probably hitting about 1800-2000 calories a day. I would think that would be enough, but I just can't seem to keep the weight on.

Your wisdom and experience are much appreciated.

Cheers,
Cathy

Replies

• moochachip
    moochachip Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    First of all, congrats on deciding to run #2.

What exactly are you eating? I recommend making sure you are getting enough proteins and healthy fats into your diet.
  • thepetiterunner
    Options
    I don't eat much meat proteins, favoring more plant-based foods instead, but I still like eating eggs. Usual things for breakfast include: egg with toast and an apple or oatmeal with chopped apples, a teaspoon of walnuts and chia seeds, or a whole wheat toast with a tbsp. of peanut butter and a half a banana. Most of my other meals tend to be more on the plant side as well, with maybe a little chicken or seafood. I do eat black beans and lentils, but probably not as much as I should to compensate. I also tend to eat a lot of brown rice and quinoa.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is all about calories in, calories out. If you are losing, then you aren't eating enough. I eat 1700 calories to lose weight just to give you some perspective. I don't know your stats and stuff, but if it were me training for a marathon and wanting to maintain I would be eating about 2500 calories (I am 5'3", 145lbs).

It really just sounds like you need to eat more. If you are finding yourself not hungry, then swap out low-fat things (if you are eating them) for whole foods and use more olive oils and stuff to cook with. Eat higher calorie fruits and vegetables (avocados, bananas, etc....).
  • CathOh
    CathOh Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Your problem is exactly why I use MFP - to make sure I don't lose weight.

When I trained for my first marathon, I dropped 15 pounds from 130 to 115 pounds. I'm 5'4" and am currently ramping up for another marathon that I have planned soon, and I can't afford to lose any weight this time around as I am starting at about 112 lbs. Other posters have already provided some good options to help you meet your calorie goals. I just wanted to let you know that to aren't the only one who struggles with eating enough. Best of luck!
  • mitchyinge
    Options
    am just sneaking onto your thread as also not trying to lose any more weight and training for a marathon but not wanting to gain any either

have seven months until my event though so have been able to adopt a 'run less/eat more' approach which is keeping my weight fairly stable
  • thepetiterunner
    Options
    In my head I know I should probably just shovel more food in my mouth, but I don't tend to eat much in any given meal. Most my meals (unless I go out) range from the 300-500 calorie range and I usually just eat only until I feel full. I've never been one to eat until I'm bursting at the seams - it usually makes me feel nauseous. I usually eat 5-6 of these mini meals a day.

It also doesn't help that running long distances tends to remove any appetite I have, so even getting myself to drink a chocolate soy milk to recover has to be a conscious action because I really won't feel like eating anything.

Thanks for all the advice. Guess I'm just going to have to add on another mini-meal to my day, or start indulging in a sweet after dinner.
  • mitchyinge
    Options
    had to disable the bit of MFP that proudly announces weight loss though, everyone always cheers and says well done and it feels really pro-ana ish (although I know they don't mean it that way)
  • mitchyinge
    Options
    I think drinks are a good way of adding calories if you are sick of eating all the time, fruit juices or chocolate milk and they both offer some helpful nutrients for runners?
  • thepetiterunner
    Options
    I do take protein shakes occasionally (vegan protein powder, spinach, almond milk, frozen banana, ground flax seed), but then I'm pretty full from it anyway, so it essentially replaces a meal. Never been one to drink a lot of juice, but I do like chocolate milk for recovery.
  • CathOh
    CathOh Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    For me, eating had to become a priority... if I am unable to re-eat the calories that I burn, then I'm not allowed to burn the calories. Fortunately I am one of those people who is hungry all the time, so I generally don't run into this problem. Maybe make sure you have calorie- and protein dense meals and snacks planned, particularly post-run to help in muscle repair.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    If your long runs zap your appatite then eat to fuel it a few days prior. You actually don't need to eat "a lot", just bring in more calories. Instead of steamed vegetables, opt to saute them in olive oil...or if want to Paula Deen it with butter go for it. Olive oil alone will add 120 calories to the vegetables. Add peanut butter to your protein shakes to add more calories. Pasta is an easy way to get in calories, recovery shakes. You don't have to do protein shakes for recovery, you can do carb shakes too. Almond milk, peanut butter, honey, and a banana...and if you want you can add chocolate syrup...and you have a pretty calorie dense recovery carb drink.

You really only need to add 300 calores more to each meal, and that is really easy if you cook with oils and stuff like that.
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I have had the problem of gaining while training in the past! LOL! :-)

But, the past few training cycles, I've lost and also maintained my weight. The first time around I lost about 9 pounds (a lot on my frame) and I lost that by eating about 1600 to 1700 gross.

I eat a bit more than that now. I know we're all different but I'm not that big either (under 5 ft) and maintain. I do eat a lot of protein (I really hate starches and carbs even though I know I should eat more of them) and the weekends are free reign (within reason).

Hope you find your happy medium. I wish I had your problem. HAHAHAHAH.
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Do you like nuts? Try snacking on nuts during the day. You mentioned you like quinoa - chop up some pistachios and add them to your next quinoa dish... nuts are a nutritious way to add calories without making you too full.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Two words.

Peanut Butter
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Without seeing a complete food log, it sounds to me like you just need to consume more carbs to replenish the carbs you are burning during runs. All the foods you say you like to eat are foods that are highly filling (e.g. high-GI foods). I'd suggest some higher-energy carbs such as fruit juice, breads, potatoes, pasta, bananas, etc.
  • moochachip
    moochachip Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    If that's the case, then I also give two thumbs up to Carson's suggestion: PB is a blessing.