Rope Climbs

Options
ascrit
ascrit Posts: 770 Member
When I was a little boy the rope climb was something in gym class that I could never do. I have yet to attempt a rope climb in CrossFit as they were never part of the WOD...until today. I am excited to give it a try and see what happens!

I was never able to do pull ups as a boy and I can do them now so maybe I can climb a rope too.

So how do you all do with climbing a rope?

Replies

• kevie1021
    kevie1021 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    It took me a bit to get the hang of how to climb the rope. It really just clicked in randomly one day for me. I had never been able to do it, but then before class started I figured I would give it a try (as it was in the WOD), and I got to the top! Once I understood the foot positioning, and realized where exactly the rope is beneath me, I got it. Now I just need socks to cover my shins, because the rope burns suck!
  • MissXFit13
    MissXFit13 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's all about the positioning of your feet on the rope. I use my legs more than my arms to climb, and that makes it much easier. They're quite exhausting in a WOD, good luck!
  • Summer_Lunatic
    Summer_Lunatic Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I've never tried this either. Oh ****! I better look at today's WOD. :ohwell:
  • MUALaurenClark
    MUALaurenClark Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    IMO, it takes more leg muscle than anything, which makes it sooo much easier for people. It's a matter of being able to get a grip with your feet - something i'm shocked they didn't teach you guys at an elements or on-ramp crossfit class when you started.

make sure to wear something over your shins, you'll get rope burn!
  • Shizzman
    Shizzman Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    IMO, it takes more leg muscle than anything, which makes it sooo much easier for people. It's a matter of being able to get a grip with your feet - something i'm shocked they didn't teach you guys at an elements or on-ramp crossfit class when you started.

My box goes over rope climbs every so often, but it isn't specifically something that gets done with on-ramping or starting out (although there is now starting to be a lot of work on the scaled option...so sorta).

Often when there is instruction on the foot clamp there will also be a lot of practice time on the foot clamp. Remember there is always a trade off between how secure you'll "feel" and how efficient you can be (which frankly you are still secure as you get it down and wrapping can leave you not able to make good progress up the rope...)

Some videos that might help:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFVOKGCZHp8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kVbf_w1Sw4
  • ascrit
    Options

I actually bought some long socks this weekend because of all the scrapes I get on my shins doing deadlifts/cleans/snatches. I will wear them today!
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Like you, I could never do the rope climbs in gym class as a kid. I also think I was never taught how to grip the rope with my feet. My first attempt at Crossfit (and mind you, I am very weak!), I was able to climb the rope. Only once, though, as it's exhausting. My personal best is 3 rope climbs in 3 minutes.
  • Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    We don't do rope climbs very often at my box and it wasn't a skill that was covered in my foundations classes. My coach is VERY adamant about being safe on the rope and modifying to the beginner version (pulling yourself to standing from lying on the floor; 3 beginner ascents = one full rope climb) as needed to maintain our safety.

We actually had rope climbs in our strength/skill element today and I'm still doing the beginner mod. I'm still not able to do strict pullups and our coach uses that as a guide for doing beginner vs regular rope climbs.
  • MUALaurenClark
    Options

Often when there is instruction on the foot clamp there will also be a lot of practice time on the foot clamp. Remember there is always a trade off between how secure you'll "feel" and how efficient you can be (which frankly you are still secure as you get it down and wrapping can leave you not able to make good progress up the rope...)

I agree, try to learn to NOT "wrap" the rope because it's so much harder to get up the rope that way
  • ascrit
    Options
    So I was able to climb up the rope twice yesterday which made me very happy. I wasn't able to get the foot thing sorted all the way so I will need to practice on that but overall I am quite pleased and surprised. Sometimes I end up being stronger than I think I am.
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    We don't do rope climbs very often at my box and it wasn't a skill that was covered in my foundations classes. My coach is VERY adamant about being safe on the rope and modifying to the beginner version (pulling yourself to standing from lying on the floor; 3 beginner ascents = one full rope climb) as needed to maintain our safety.

We actually had rope climbs in our strength/skill element today and I'm still doing the beginner mod. I'm still not able to do strict pullups and our coach uses that as a guide for doing beginner vs regular rope climbs.

That seems odd to me because I'm miles off of a strict pull-up, but I can climb ropes. As everyone's said, it's far less about the upperbody strength than a strict pull-up is. Of course, the boxes I've trained at all have pads at the base for WODs with rope climbs, not that I've ever seen anyone not get down safely. I think they're there for the keen ones who want to jump off the rope to get on to the next activity.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    For me the deal here is the same as it is for pull ups and HSPU. I need to lose weight before I can really master them.
  • kevie1021
    kevie1021 Posts: 543 Member
    Options

Definitely cover your shins!! I have rope burns for days after climbing WODs!
  • MUALaurenClark
    Options
    For me the deal here is the same as it is for pull ups and HSPU. I need to lose weight before I can really master them.

I think you'd really really be surprised...where pullups and HSPUs rely on upper body strength, the rope climb relies on your legs because essentially you're jumping, grasping the rope with your feet (knees still bent at this point), then STANDING up..that's it! It's just a bunch of standing up