Social situations - Melbourne Cup & Parties...and Eating...

Options
Go4it1985
Go4it1985 Posts: 169 Member
Yikes! It's Melbourne cup next Tuesday and silly as this may seem I've a little teensy bit nervous about how to control what I eat...

There will be a large spread of different items but it's not just that, it's quantity...grazing and eating the wrong kinds of food.

I think I'm just nervous about eating out these days...I haven't done it for weeks. I know when I bring lunch or eat at home I can control.

Already I'm peeking at the menu for this Friday's dinner with friends...trying to guess at the best choice.

Ugh...

and logging it may be a challenge. *sigh*

But in reality I know I usually go out fairly often (but haven't been lately due to other commitments) so it's not sustainable not to have a social life haha!

What strategies or what do you do when you have work morning teas/lunches/outings with friends (especially if you are going to a pub/club/bar)??

Replies

• LauraBee96
    LauraBee96 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I always have to get over the idea that I don't need to stuff my face to feel like I've gotten good 'value' from the expensive lunch or whatever I've bought into. Especially with Melbourne Cup, when you buy a package deal...

So that's the psychological ammo you can prep yourself with, but as for physical, I usually eat a high protein brekkie and bonus points if you can get a work out in!

Then tell yourself that you're not going to eat anything that you don't absolutely love... so that way, splurge and enjoy but dont much aimlessly on canapes or sides that you don't enjoy 100%.

Finally, watch the alcohol :)

Enjoy!
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    i'm terrible at this type of situation. A good tip that I've heard is to put some physical distance between yourself and the food so you have to actively go over and get something. Try to get caught up in the social side of things if you can. Also it may help to have a big salad or veggies with some lean protien before you go so that you aren't going to be starving.

If it's a party at someones house I usually try to bring a platter of veggies and dip and try to stick mostly to that.
  • retrobyte
    retrobyte Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    One day of being over your goal is not going to hurt in the scheme of things. I'm over my goal most Saturdays and Sundays (because of beer), but I'm still losing body fat because I'm well under maintenance calories over an entire week.

As far as logging finger food and other things at a buffet situation, just log it as a "quick add" ballpark amount, eg. 750 or 1000 calories. No need to sweat about an occasional day above your target calories
  • chatnel
    chatnel Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I would just go under on the day before and day after and then everything balances out at the end of the week or do extra workouts (whatever is your preference). I plan on drinking like a fish on melbourne cup.
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I've got a Melbourne cup function to go to and I plan not logging that day. I'm going to enjoy myself, go for the protein dishes and next day, I will cut back. One day in the week is not going to ruin everything, just don't keep it going the next day.

Good strategy is to eat your protein requirement before the event, because most party food is quite carby... At least you will have met your protein goal. If it's a buffet, load your plate once, and don't go back.

Drink a glass of water between each alcoholic drink. Or drive, and then you won't drink at all.
  • Go4it1985
    Go4it1985 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice - appreciate it :)
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I just booked three platters including sweets and will buy some beer and champers to have in the office and no way am I going to log it all. I'll just have a very low cal dinner, mostly veggies or soup and I'll skip breakfast probably but I often don't bother with breakfast. I'll all even out. Got to enjoy life too now and then!