One-Week Post Op UPDATE

Options
Yea! I had my one-week post op appointment yesterday. They removed the drainage tube! I can move about much easier now. Having the tube out also seems to have eliminated some of the pain I was experiencing.

My physician is very conservative on increasing eating. So, I was discharged on clear liquids + protein powder for the 1st week post op. And, during the first week I was only allowed 4 ounces per hour. Now (2nd week) I can move to full liquids (slim fast, adkins advantage, or mixes with skim milk) shakes and 8 ounces per hour. Next, (3rd week) I will start my chewable vitamins but will still be on a modified full liquid diet. I can also add things like oatmeal, yogurt, sugar free pudding. Mushy type foods don't start until the 4th week after that!

I am feeling great! Not at all hungry and I haven't had any nausea or vomiting that some have experienced. Like many on this site, I did have a water weight gain following surgery and it is gradually coming off. I'm so glad that others mentioned that or I would be extremely upset over the gain. Yesterday I was 3 pounds higher than pre-surgery weight.

Best wishes to all getting ready for this surgery!

Replies

• DebbysJourney
    DebbysJourney Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    So glad to read the great update!! I know you are really happy to have that drainage tube out. My husband had 2 in and they were a royal pain. His blood fluid was mostly from the hernia repair, but glad when those came out. Nothing wrong with a Dr being conservative, kinda wish mine was more conservative, but he's been doing it for many years so I have to trust what works on his patients. Your Dr and staff sound great, very attentive to your success.

I'm glad I read about post-op weight gain or I would have been freaking out too. Thankfully I broke even after the first week and it was gone.

I'm feeling the no hunger even more now, except I crave chips, crackers, anything salty. Too afraid of them now, but someday......

Thanks for the update and so glad we are on this journey with so many. :)

Debbie :)
  • Mirpapillon
    Mirpapillon Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Im preparing also to go for lap band surgery. Which one did you gals get, the lap band or the by pass? I'm just trying to get information on the procedure, how you are feeling, or where feeling right after surgery, etc...
    Thanks.
  • DebbysJourney
    DebbysJourney Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I can speak for both of us and say we had Gastric Bypass, a week apart. :) Mine on the 14th and hers on the 21st. So I'm 2 weeks post-op and doing well. I'm still sore on my left side around the waist. Dr told me that would be the sorest spot because that is the side the stuff was done on.

Why the lap band?
  • janisbirch
    janisbirch Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I'm happy to hear you've been able to take the tube out and that it has decreased the pain. I'm also happy to hear that your surgeon is conservative, mine is too and I believe it's one of the reasons I haven't had problems that others here have experienced.

Keep up the great work!! I look forward to seeing the weight come off you and hearing how GREAT you feel.
  • stroynaya
    stroynaya Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear you are doing so well! Thanks for the update!