New here and looking for some favorite recipes

Options
missigus
missigus Posts: 207 Member
Hi,

I am a newbie here and a newbie to the gluten free way of life. I have battled stomach/intestinal issues for years now, and was told last week that I have IBS-C. I was also informed that gluten is one of the main contributors, and that I should eliminate it from my diet. I have managed to clear it out of my diet this past week and what a difference already. No more bloating or pain, and I can go!! Yeah! So, I obviously can't digest the stuff and I'm on the right track now at least.

I am looking for favorite tried and true recipes. Today I tried a gluten free baking mix and recipe for date walnut muffins. I was wonderfully surprised. They were so light and fluffy! I didn't miss the wheat flour at all!! So, now I am on the hunt for some more yummy but relatively simple things to make. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Replies

• aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I'm new to the whole gluten free thing too. I just started and have been doing some research since then. I love cooking and baking, and while there are lots of sites that are dedicated to gluten free, these are the ones I've found that have the most variety, the best organization (VERY important to me with a website), and the easiest to follow.

Gluten Free Girl - Not only great recipes, but a great starting point since she dedicates parts of her site to explaining the basics and simple substitutions rather than just diving in without any background. But the most important thing, the recipes are so varied, seasonal, and delicious. It'll keep you busy for years.

A Girl Defloured - A lesser known blog, but I love it. She, again, uses seasonal ingredients but what I like about hers is that it's all very organized and easy to print recipes. Her chocolate chip pumpkin muffins are great for breakfast btw.

Skinny Taste - Not a gluten free website, but it's famous for having healthy food for people looking to lose a few pounds and there is a HUGE gluten free section of the site. Very organized, very famous, very worth bookmarking!

I know these aren't actual recipes, but hopefully it'll give you some ideas! Good luck!
  • jenbridges
    jenbridges Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I also like www.glutenfreeonashoestring.com

Everything I have tried of hers has been great!

If you are making your own gf all purpose flour blend, make sure you use superfine ground flours. Personally, I do not like rice flour, so I make my own blend:

40% whole grain (I usually use a mix of sorghum and quinoa flours)
    60% starches (I usually use a mix of corn starch, tapioca starch and white rice flour or potato starch)

I mix and match based on what I have on hand. Also, I keep Authentic Foods superfine brown rice flour on hand, but I don't use it much.

Add me and/or message me if you would like specific recipes, I cook A LOT and baking is my hobby!

I cannot tolerate xanthan gum (I might as well eat gluten, symptom wise), so I use guar gum instead. It seems to not bother me as much.
  • takerbrat
    takerbrat Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I have been diagnosed with a gluten sensitivity so I have been cooking gluten free since August. Over the next two weeks I will be posting Low Carb-Low Fat-High Protein Gluten Free recipes on my MFP blog - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/takerbrat/view/make-my-day-recipes-for-breakfast-lunch-and-dinner-601014
    *photos on my weight loss challenge FB page - https://www.facebook.com/TeamDontMessWithTheMommaPage?ref=hl
  • treefrogkate
    treefrogkate Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Seconding Gluten Free Girl - she's never done m wrong (her Thanksgiving dinner rolls are to DIE for).