If you are on week 4 or 5 and struggling...

Options
likitisplit
likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
Slow down!.

I'm so excited for you and know you can do it. Many people quit in week 4, it's where this starts getting real. But in just a few runs, you will be through week 5 and that's a major milestone. You are so capable of this...if you just let yourself slow down, relax, enjoy the experience of becoming a runner. Trust your training. You are awesome!

That is all

Replies

• StephFork
    StephFork Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I needed to hear that for today's run! It's only day 1 of week 5 so I'm actually looking forward to it. It's the other 2 days I'm not super confident about but I'm excited to have them under my belt. I've never made it past week 5 so I'm determined to do it this time!
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    :laugh: When I saw the title, I said, "Slow down." You should add that to the description of the group.
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    :laugh: When I saw the title, I said, "Slow down." You should add that to the description of the group.

:flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • sinca21
    sinca21 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Great advice, thank you. I'm in Week 5 and it's honestly more mental than physical right now. Just the idea that I could run 5, 8, 20 (!) minute segments after being pretty sedentary just over a month ago.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Isn't it the best thing ever? If you told me that I would be a runner this time last year, I would have laughed at you.
  • Putcake
    Putcake Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I agree!!!! I tried going faster, and just ended up cramping and having to stop. I slowed down and let my body determine my pace. I was surprised when I ran my first 5k that my pace was a new PR - 11:37. And yesterday, I set out to run 2 miles - it was getting dark and I didn't want to be out for a long time. And I shaved 10 seconds off my time - without even trying!

Consistency is the goal - speed will come later!
  • exmsde
    exmsde Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I skipped almost a week between Week 4 Day 1 and Day 2 because of a cold. WOW, was day 2 difficult. I almost had to bail out in the middle of the second 5 minute segment, but pushed through to the end. Now I feel great about it.

I did slow things down a bit given the time off, but hopefully I can push my speed up when I do day 3.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I agree!!!! I tried going faster, and just ended up cramping and having to stop. I slowed down and let my body determine my pace. I was surprised when I ran my first 5k that my pace was a new PR - 11:37. And yesterday, I set out to run 2 miles - it was getting dark and I didn't want to be out for a long time. And I shaved 10 seconds off my time - without even trying!

Consistency is the goal - speed will come later!

Race day magic is wonderful! Great time, BTW!
  • Bourgie
    Bourgie Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am on W4D2 and am struggling I am strongly considering repeating this week. I probably should add that I have started this program numerous times. I am using this as a winter treadmill run. I ran/walked my 7 or 8 1/2 marathon in September and probably took it too easy in October. My immediate goal is to move away from run/walk for shorter distances and run a faster 1/2 marathon.

I think I will try to slow down, and use my heart rate as a gauge for my pace. Does anyone have any suggestions for walk and running heart rates?
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Dr Jack Daniels is the expert on that. He's written several books on the subject. I judge effort by feel - remember these runs are supposed to be easy. If you've walked that many halves, you might want to try Coach Jenny Hadfields half marathon run/walk training program. It'll build your running base but the goal is never a straight run.

And almost everybody struggles in week 4.
  • Itsjustme86
    Itsjustme86 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I just did week 5 day 1 and I have no idea how after the next run I am going to be able to run 20 minutes! Feeling really nervous about this! Mostly I think its mental! So glad to read people have got past it!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I just did week 5 day 1 and I have no idea how after the next run I am going to be able to run 20 minutes! Feeling really nervous about this! Mostly I think its mental! So glad to read people have got past it!

The funny thing is that running a 10k was less of a big deal than those 20 minutes right there. Go slow and you'll be ok.