First run!!

Options
besdais
besdais Posts: 76 Member
I just completed my very first session and I'm still breathing! I have done a lot of reading on this forum and want to thank all of you. As I was running and wanted to give in, I kept thinking of all the posts I read and how so many of you also struggled but promised the rest of us slackers that it was do-able. You were right of course, but it was still a challenge!
I have a couple questions. First, is it bad karma to want to reach in your pocket and strangle that nice lady who tells you it's time to run??!!??!! :) Seriously, though, I'm going to assume its normal to feel like you don't have a ton of lung capacity when running? Like you can't catch your breath? I quit smoking 8 months ago (yea!) and have been walking a little less than a 15 minute mile (fairly brisk) about 4 days a week for the last couple of months. So I have been getting some cardio, along with some other exercise. I just didn't think I'd be this out of breath. ...and yes, I went slow. I ended up with a 13.85 minute mile, just a minute off my walking pace.
On the other hand, I'm very proud of myself and will be ready to try it again in X 2 days. Oh! Another question. I am not supposed to do any cardio tomorrow? No walk? Just save it up for the next run?

Thanks to everyone!

Replies

• yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!

Getting out on the first run is probably the hardest as it's full of unknowns but now you know - it's hard but really rewarding :)

You can run slower - as long as you keep the running motion, it doesn't matter how slow you go ... even if it's slower than your walking pace. I think my running pace was over 15min miles when I started which seemed ridiculously slow but that's what was needed at the time to get me through the intervals at the start.

Breathing gets easier too - take deeper long breaths rather than panting. People have different tricks for it but I breathe in for 3 left foot strikes then out for two (some do 3 and 3 - whatever works for you). Your lung capacity will improve as you run more.

Keep checking in :bigsmile:
  • diadia1
    diadia1 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    First of all i want to say to you: CONGRATS for taking the decision to run and your first day of running.The first step is always the hardest.

Second of all, In the beginning it seriously does not matter how slow you are as long as you are on motion (as previously said by yamsteroo).

Remember that It may be hard but at the end it is so WORTH it! in a few weeks once you get addicted to Runners's high, you will actually thank yourself for doing this to you...

To answer your questions, i don't know since i never use the app. But i started last fall with atrainer in a running club that was doing sort of the same program.... and yes sometimes was like "oh no, not yet. time to run again. " But small intervalls are the way to go.

Once again, good job on starting to run.
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! The first few weeks are HARD!! It gets easier and you will get a rhythm for both your running and your breathing. Go slow, it's okay. You are still running :)

When I first started I just knew that I would not be able to progress to the next week and each time I was able to do it successfully. Celebrate every success!!! Every minute, three minutes, five minutes, etc. You are running and that is awesome!!!

Personally I did Tues/Thurs/Sat or Sun and on the days in between I would still walk and lift weights. Do what you are comfortable with and listen to your body.

Congrats!!!!!
  • besdais
    Options
    Oh, you all are so helpful. I feel better, and glad to know my breathing troubles are normal. I like the idea of trying to take longer, deeper breaths. I will try that next time, but I really felt like all I could do was pant. Thanks for letting me know it gets better. I can't imagine running for longer than the 30 seconds, but hopefully I'll look back on that and be shocked that I found it so hard. I really want to do this. I hate exercising indoors, so I know if I want to get my exercise in, this will be the way I need to do it.

I so appreciate your help!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on getting out there and running!
    The first few weeks are the hardest as you find your stride and your pace. If you are panting, slow down. When I completed C25K I was running a 10-minute kilometer (about 16 minute mile). I was even slower when I started C25K. I could walk quicker than I ran. I could run quicker but didn't have the stamina for the time requirement.
    It feels like you're slogging along at times because of the slowness of the run but no matter. The speed will come by itself. For now, concentrate on running the time requirement and make it happen, no matter how slow.

With your attitude, you'll conquer this. Keep posting and letting us know how you're coping. Happy running!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    You will never look back on this and be shocked that you found it so hard. You'll look back on yourself and be proud that you pushed through even though it's the hardest run you'll ever do.

Slow down...and make sure that your posture is straight. When we get tired, we tend to slouch over and that cuts off our air. Raise your hands straight over your head to check that you are straight.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Congrats on taking that first step!

I pretty much alternated days of running with days of riding my bicycle throughout the C25k program (and 5 to 10k) and beyond. Listen to your body, you will know if you are asking too much of it!
  • besdais
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement. I went out today and did my 1.5 mile walk and then a few minutes of weights. I'm both scared and excited about tomorrow's run. I haven't told any family or friends that I'm doing this yet, as I want to get a few weeks in first. This forum has been so helpful.
    On my walk today I tried to breathe in for three steps, but found it difficult even with just walking. I hope that improves as I do longer runs. I am also going to slow down a bit tomorrow, although it already felt slow. I just kept telling myself that it may be slow, but it's faster than the people sitting on the couch!
  • sinca21
    sinca21 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on that first run AND for kicking the cigarette habit! What an accomplishment. Your breathing will definitely improve as you go but keep practicing. I still need to remind myself to slow my breathing and it helps me keep the running going longer. I am also very slow - I hit my best average time yesterday and it was in the 14 minute range. I get a little embarrassed from time to time (my husband is working on speed for his upcoming half-marathon and I can't even imagine the speeds he gets to) but just like you said, we are so much faster than those on the couch!

I hated the running voice at first too but just wait - you'll start to look forward to it in a pretty short time! Now when I'm doing the warm up walk I get impatient for her to tell me to start running. And that took less than a month. Keep checking in here, especially since you're not telling any one "in real life" just yet, the support/camaraderie here has been really great. I wish I had thought to check for a forum earlier in my program.
  • TheMojoMissy
    TheMojoMissy Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Today was my first day, too. I've tried the program several times but always had to quit due to injury. I'm battling back from an achilles issue, but am determined to do it this time. I'm doing it on the treadmill til I get stronger. I'm slooooow, but I'm doing it. I'm short w/a short stride, so 4.8 on the treadmill was FAST for me. Oh well, we'll get there together! Keep it up!
  • besdais
    Options
    I'm ready to start week 2 tomorrow! You were right, the second and third day seemed pretty easy, I was so psyched! I did have some knee pain yesterday, so I have been doing some knee exercises today. I have read that it is important to stretch before and after the run, and I am definitely going to do more of that - especially my legs! I am excited to move on!!
    Sally