Low Carb diet recommended by doctor

Options
lily2521
lily2521 Posts: 22 Member
Hello - I posted this on one of the main forums also, but was told that you guys might be able to offer me some more help :)

I just found out my blood sugar is slightly high, so my doctor is recommending exercise (which I also need to, and am going to, start) and a low carb diet.

I've Google'd low carb diets, but I'm confused by the different ones out there, and it seems like so much information I don't know where to look first. I just need a good starting point right now, and maybe some example menu/diet plans, and I'm in information overload. I don't know what types of things I should be eating right now, especially things to snack on in between meals. My doctor hasn't recommended a specific plan, and hasn't given me a number as far as how many carbs I should be eating a day, just told me to start a low carb diet overall.

Can someone point me in the right direction just to get started on this low carb diet? I'm very confused, and don't know even the basics of what I should and shouldn't be eating right now. I'll be honest I've been a huge sugar eater for a long time, sugar in coffee, soda, eating out quite a bit, and not the healthiest - so this is going to be a big adjustment for me.

Thank you.

Replies

• Rei1988
    Rei1988 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    BUMP

I'd ask the doctor to specify.
  • sb4480
    sb4480 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    The easiest thing to advise is to focus on eating lean protein, healthy fat and low glycemic vegetables and fruit. Basically throw out stuff like bread, pasta, rice, grain, tubers/root vegetables, and a lot of fruit (berries are the least carb-heavy). Whole foods means food in it's natural form with limited to no processing (cheese is OK as long as it's real cheese and not something like American).
  • lily2521
    lily2521 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I've gone further today to request an appointment with a nutritionist to sort through this as well...which I have coming up on Monday. I'm actually looking forward to it!
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    use the ketogenic calculator http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/
    to reset your MFP goals.
    get a box of ketostix at the pharmacy. pick up a copy of Good Calories Bad Calories and read the whole thing.
    skip the nutritionist, she'll talk you into why carbs are good for you.
    get yourself under 100 carbs a day. you'll be fine.
  • JanetLynnJudy
    JanetLynnJudy Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq is a great resource for learning more about low carb diets. Even if you aren't doing keto exactly, there's a lot of good information there regarding low carb.