Caffeine?

Options
Is caffeine a no-no because of it being a diuretic, or because it's too harsh for your pouch?

Replies

• gramsoffive
    Options
    Nutritionist told me it is too harsh on the pouch and that it affects your blood sugars too much.
  • LolaBug85
    LolaBug85 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I was told caffeine can create ulcers in your little pouch. Not good!
  • Beana21
    Beana21 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I was told no caffeine or alcohol for six months because they were diuretics, but the more I read I saw they were too harsh for the pouch too.
  • stroynaya
    stroynaya Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    My doc said one cup of coffee (my caffeine of choice) a day was fine after the first few weeks post-op. No alcohol for a year though.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I was told I can't have caffeine for 6 months!!!
  • rubisliprz
    rubisliprz Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I was allowed to get my coffee back (not much though) after one month. Whew!
  • DebbysJourney
    DebbysJourney Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Wow, lots of different options. Glad I ask though, I think I will wait a couple more weeks before I indulge. Just want to go back to 1 cup in the morning. I used to drink morning and night both, but had it dwindled down my surgery time.
  • NGCByrden
    Options
    I love my coffee...but was told by my doc and nutritionist that I had to be able to get in at least 64oz of water in 24 hours before I could add back coffee. ???? It took a while and it was the on thing I really did miss. I also think they had a method to their madness in which it made me remember to carry water EVERY WHERE I went.. Take a drink every 5 minutes so that I never became dehydrated. When I was allowed to incorporate coffee back I used in a creative way in which took care of 2 things at once. I make coffee freezer protein shakes in the morning. An extremely yummy way to get what I so dearly loved and so dearly needed..coffee is harsh on our pouches and a diuretic but my nutritionist helps come up with so pretty cool ideas. 10 months post op and I still carry my 32oz water bottle EVERY WHERE I GO. Even if. Its just around my house and coffee protein shakes are still a staple in my morning ????
  • Agate69
    Agate69 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I never drank coffee before surgery, but now my coffee flavored, chocolate, milk protein shake gets me out the door. I make and refrigerate the night before so it is ready to grab did not start caffeine till 9 mo out. Still do no carbonation or alchol
  • sashahanrahan
    sashahanrahan Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I switched to decaf tea and coffee and haven't noticed any difference in taste. It does contain minimal amounts of caffeine, but it's a great alternative to your usual cup of joe.
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I think the whole coffe fad has about run its course. People will lose interest, and you won't hardly be able to find it anywhere.
  • rubisliprz
    rubisliprz Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    hahahaha... not!