Incorrect Nutrition Info - Red Baron Thin Crust Singles

Options
I read about these Red Baron Thin Crust Singles on a low carb forum. The nutrition info labeling on the box said these were 6 Total Carbohydrates and 1g Dietary Fiber. I called the company using the number on the box (months ago) and asked if this nutrition info was an error. They said that it was the correct info. Based off of that, I thought it would okay to have these occasionally (like 1-3 times a month). A couple days ago, I bought these again. The box looked exactly the same, but just as I was about to open the box, I checked out the nutrition info and noticed a big change. The labeling now says 27g Total Carbohydrates and 1g Dietary Fiber. I try to eat around 30-something net carbs a day, so this is almost my entire day's net carbs! I noticed that the ingredient list did not change at all. I called the company again and they said that nothing has changed except that the old labeling was wrong. Needless to say, I will not be consuming this product nor will I trust the nutrition labeling on any Schwan Food Company product (their parent company) again.

I still had one of the old boxes so I took a photo side by side so you can see the difference.

nxO8L7o.jpg

Replies

• Nicole9187
    Nicole9187 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Am I reading that correctly and one pizza single is two servings? So it's 2x's the carbs??

Yikes! Have you tried the flax pizza crust?
  • JanetLynnJudy
    JanetLynnJudy Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    There's two pizza singles in each box, so each one is one serving.

I haven't had much luck making faux pizza crusts. Do you have a link to the recipe? I always have some flax meal around. I could try. If I do make a low carb pizza myself I usually use a low carb wrap.
  • Rei1988
    Rei1988 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower pizza crust is a good option too! :d

I hate when companies are inconsistent with their information, it can be dangerous for some! (diabetes/celiac etc). iI've written to a few companies about products one of which was incorrect too.
  • mrdexter1
    mrdexter1 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    be waned..

this change of nutritional information is also going on in the protein powder industry as they seek to cut costs by reducing protein and adding carbs in the form of sugar..
  • JanetLynnJudy
    JanetLynnJudy Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I've also seen some products at the store list impossible info like more fiber than total carbs, though sometimes it's not that drastic a difference because they are taking advantage of rounding down or not having to list something if it's below a certain percentage. What's worrying about a company like the Schwan Food Company making such errors is that they provide food to healthcare facilities and schools.
  • MermaidTX
    MermaidTX Posts: 352 Member
    Options

I haven't had much luck making faux pizza crusts. Do you have a link to the recipe? I always have some flax meal around. I could try. If I do make a low carb pizza myself I usually use a low carb wrap.

Here's a recipe for my favorite pizza crust

http://www.fathead-movie.com/index.php/2013/06/30/weekend-bonus-the-older-brothers-oldest-sons-faux-carb-pizza/

I like to add parsley & Italian seasoning to it.

The edges get crispy & it doesn't get soggy/mushy & you can hold a slice in your hand & eat it like "real" pizza. :)
  • Nicole9187
    Nicole9187 Posts: 122 Member
    Options

Here is the recipe:
    http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2012/01/zero-carb-flax-meal-pizza-crust.html

I've never made the cauliflower because it seems like a lot of work =(