Nov. Tips/Suggestions

Options
If you have any tips or suggestions to be your own winner for this Nov challenge share them. I want to know and you'll prob help someone else too.
My little tip is:
>Since we only get 3 cheat meals don't forget to plan them out ahead of time.

Replies

• zeltoria
    Options
    I am new to groups. This one I find interesting because I like to try to eat clean most of the time. I am 233, 5'1 and have went down from 284 over a few years. How do we encourage
    12 members? how do you locate them to encourage them? thanks
  • mlerand62
    mlerand62 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Hi zeltoria. I just sent you a friend request. You can encourage me. I found my friends by joining groups and finding people who I could connect with. I also read the Message Boards and found people who I could relate to and requested they be my friend. You can always unfriend those that don't turn out so well. It happens. Good luck!
  • Shellanfit
    Shellanfit Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    treat yourself to a new waterbottle that you totally love. I bought myself a new one today and I have gotten my 8 glasses today.
  • FitnSassy
    FitnSassy Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    treat yourself to a new waterbottle that you totally love. I bought myself a new one today and I have gotten my 8 glasses today.

I bought a new Lifefactory water bottle after work today. It was expensive, but I've been wanting one for a long time!
  • mlerand62
    mlerand62 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    While making sure I found 10 friends to encourage I noticed I am missing a couple. I looked at my friends list and sent a message to those who have not logged this month. I know they won't see it unless they log back on. However, knowing someone cares might just get them to try again.

I want lots of healthy and happy friends.:heart:
  • Beckyann1971
    Options
    Feel free to add me if you can tolerate my crazy diary right now. It was difficult always having people telling me I need to eat this or that, or more after I had my gallbladder removed, and even before that since my food issues have been around for a couple of years. I had tried to make it clear, so people weren't wasting their time telling me how great fiber bars are, or greek yogurt, when I have to be careful with fiber, and can't have dairy. I am primarily No/low FODMAPS to help with my issues and then there are some other things that bother me too. This past week I have been having some of these things, 1. to see how I do with them after surgery and 2. because if I'm going to feel deprived and have chocolate, I might as well have healthier things even if they come with symptoms. I do a lot of "picking and choosing which symptoms I want to deal with today". After my surgery fats became a big issue, even healthy fats, so I aim for 20 instead of the 40 mfp has me set at, or I have a lot of pain. (stemming from common and other ducts). I eat 6 to 8 times most days to help with bloating and all, and so with all this, I haven't been eating more than 1200 in the last two months.I am never feeling hungry except when I have too much chocolate/sugar and not enough protein to help counter it. I want to eat more, and it's my plan to get their again, but with all my experience in the last almost five years with losing weight, I'm quite convinced that my maintenance is at 1300 - 1400. I have done the eating more stuff and everything, and this is just the way it seems to be for me.

Updated to NOTE: Just to clarify, I do not have any problems with people offering suggestions and constructive criticism. It just got overwhelming, repeatedly explaining, and not having anyone understand the situation I'm in with food. I spent well over a year on here before, learning SO much from people hear regarding food and fitness, I felt fantastic for 2 1/2 years after losing most of my weight the way most people here feel one should, before my health took a big turn.

With all that said, if you read far enough to catch my questions, I want to know if Food Should Taste Good Multigrain chips are considered clean or non clean? Sometimes I have regular chips when trying to stay away from chocolate. (which didn't happen yesterday, but it's gone now and I"m excited to be done with it.) But I usually have 5 of FSTG at work, with a banana. Not a lot of options for me to pack food. Plus I have a lot of rice, especially rice cereal. If I have macaroni or anything it's usually brown rice gluten free. And Rice cakes, but they are brown too. I kinda feel like I'm not going to worry about the cereal at this point. IF I could have things the way I want I wouldn't have it. But I have so little I can rely on. I haven't had soda since surgery and that was a huge battle for me before, so sugar is my main concern now.
  • Shellanfit
    Options
    Today I portioned out my yogurt, cottage cheese, berries, veggies out in easy to grab containers. I do this also for nuts and oatmeal that I make in the microwave. I made some yummy hummus too that i put in portion side containers to dip my veggies in. Another thing I did was planned my breakfasts, lunches and snacks for the week making them all similar like oatmeal and berries, yogurt/cottage cheese and fruit, nuts ect. Tomorrow is grocery shopping day will buy lean meats, fish, lots of veggies and clean foods to make a variety of dinners.
  • Shellanfit
    Options
    Another thing I do is track my weight and measurements weekly on a spread sheet and total my inches for the week.
  • secostley
    secostley Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    One of the best things to do to encourage someone else is to "friend" them. But don't just stop there. Take the time to encourage them, review their diaries or offer a daily word of encouragement. Remember, part of the challenge to to "encourage" at least 10 of your MFP friends daily.

A word to the wise: On MFP you tend to have friends and then you have FRIENDS (associates vs true friends). Recommend you look for three types of friends: 1. Those who are where you want to be: These are the friends who have overcome the types of obstacles you're currently facing (e.g. losing large amounts of weight; fighting diabetes, etc.). Learn from them; 2. Your peers: People who are in the same boat as you. People who are in the same fight. Encourage them; 3. Those who you can help: People who need help iin a variety of ways (e.g. diet, exercise, hope). Teach them.

Your list should be a balance of the three.
  • Shellanfit
    Options
    I have just started writing more personal news-feeds on mine and others.
  • FitnSassy
    FitnSassy Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    In order to increase my water intake (and to help me feel full and eat less), I commit to drink a glass of water before every meal, including snacks.
  • mya_bella
    mya_bella Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. Feel free to add me, if you like.:smile:
  • brattyworm
    brattyworm Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    i am open for suggestions. my biggest deal right now is trying to get in enough foods and them not be foods i'm sensitive too (this is a new thing for me..)

one thing i found helped prior to my complete change in foods I can eat... was i would print out a blank calender and right out which meal i would eat that day... all three of them.... that made it easier for grocery shopping and with it on the fridge it made it easier to "figure out dinner" after a long day of work.
  • Shellanfit
    Options
    I have been eating on a smaller plate it is from my china set the plate that is sandwich sized The set has that size a salad size then a dinner size.
  • kimjutjor
    kimjutjor Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I really wish everyone would share their food diary with their friends. I learn a lot and get lots of ideas from looking at the food choices others are making. Sometimes this leads me to a better choice that I hadn't even considered yet and sometimes it gives me satisfaction that I really have made a change to eating healthier when I see food choices I USED to eat but don't anymore.

I also wish everyone would add food and exercise notes to give us some insight into what the day was like for them or why they made the choices they did. It all helps me to realize we are all struggling with some sort of issue or overcoming something each day. It makes this journey more realistic and makes it easier to encourage each other and to motivate myself.

I like the comment (by SECostley) about the 3 types of friends we should have on MFP. I will work on that to make sure I have some in every category and do my job with each.

Eating clean is a fairly new concept to me and I can use any guidance you all have and I know that I am not alone in this. I struggle to get in enough proteins and not too much fat most days. I really want to eat what my body needs and know that with each day I hope to gain a little more insight into the best way to do this for me.
  • Curvalicious_Cat
    Options
    i am open for suggestions. my biggest deal right now is trying to get in enough foods and them not be foods i'm sensitive too (this is a new thing for me..)

one thing i found helped prior to my complete change in foods I can eat... was i would print out a blank calender and right out which meal i would eat that day... all three of them.... that made it easier for grocery shopping and with it on the fridge it made it easier to "figure out dinner" after a long day of work.

Try to eat more than 3 meals, at least 5-6 small but nutrient packed meals. Nuts bars and protein bars are great snacks and grab-n-go ideas. Always have water with you. Start small but work your way up in water. A water tracking app on your phone is a great idea!!
    I think making a calendar of meals is a fantastic idea! Whatever is going to help you stay on track. Meal prep too over the weekend for the coming week like by cooking lots of brown rice or preparing chicken or pre-packed meals that can be refrigerated for a couples days and reheated easily.
    Hope I helped a bit
  • Beckyann1971
    Options
    I don't think my diary would be too helpful for anyone at this point, but I am forced to eat low fat due to having my gallbladder removed, and most days I'm over in protein. But like I said, it may not be much help because I do have a lot of food sensitivities and so I don't have a lot of variety. But feel free to add me, or just take a look. Diary' were always very helpful to me when I first came to Mfp about two years ago. I understand people having them closed, but I think it's important for accountability to have them open. It helps me a lot, to think "nah, I don't want to have to log that for everyone to see so I just won't have it." If it brings about embarrassment, then maybe we need to rethink our choices. I am embarrassed by how low my cals are most days, but I know the issues I deal with right now, and if no one understands that, then oh well.
    I really wish everyone would share their food diary with their friends. I learn a lot and get lots of ideas from looking at the food choices others are making. Sometimes this leads me to a better choice that I hadn't even considered yet and sometimes it gives me satisfaction that I really have made a change to eating healthier when I see food choices I USED to eat but don't anymore.

I also wish everyone would add food and exercise notes to give us some insight into what the day was like for them or why they made the choices they did. It all helps me to realize we are all struggling with some sort of issue or overcoming something each day. It makes this journey more realistic and makes it easier to encourage each other and to motivate myself.

I like the comment (by SECostley) about the 3 types of friends we should have on MFP. I will work on that to make sure I have some in every category and do my job with each.

Eating clean is a fairly new concept to me and I can use any guidance you all have and I know that I am not alone in this. I struggle to get in enough proteins and not too much fat most days. I really want to eat what my body needs and know that with each day I hope to gain a little more insight into the best way to do this for me.
  • zeltoria
    Options
    I have learned over years and years that it is impossible for me to avoid the food in my home. So unfortunately for the other members of my house hold I don't often let in anything junk related in and I don't buy it. I find that if I have to go to the store for it I wont most of the time. If I do go to the store for it I must really want it. So when I get it in my head to seriously work on myself. Or just start feeling icky from what I am eating all the junk goes. There are a few things I keep that others eat that I don't. But nothing that I really crave or enjoy enough to eat. So when I get in a baking mood I bake eat one slice or one cookie. give half away to the neighbors or work ( hehe) and then the rest is up for grabs by the kids. When I come home from work if it is still there it is garbage. Amazingly the kids wipe it out. lol. I have noticed the less sugar they have the better their moods as well. even though they don't want to admit to it. Most of the time they are rooting for me to eat right which makes it so much easier. They have also learned a lot about portion control as well. I wish I had a picture of their faces when they realized that the small bag of chips they eat are not one serving :) or that 2 slices of bacon was. I also want to mention I have a friend who works as a server and she always asks me if I want a salad with my dinner. :) which usually comes with fries. It helps to be supported :) I could use a lot more support as well.
  • mya_bella
    mya_bella Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I found this, can't remember where but I'm using it.

It's call SMART.

Below is my SMART for November:

Set a goal = My goal for this month is to get to 205 lbs from 215 lbs

Monitor your progress = I will use MFP to monitor my food, calories burned and water intake everyday

Arrange your world for success = meal plan; exercise everyday with one day burning less than 600 cals (6 days/600 cals or more)

Recruit support = I have MFP friends and the support of two off-line friends

Treat yourself = If I reach my goal for this month, I will treat myself to a much needed pedicure

Something to think about and maybe use.:smile:
  • brattyworm
    brattyworm Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    So my dietician recommended a therapist after my last session... She asked why I felt the need to eat the food that I know is bad for me. She made a good point. I mean i know its bad for me based on calories, its processed, and I'm sensitive to it as well. Meaning not only do I feel the guilt, but my body reacts in a way that I feel and notice too.

Care to share some thoughts on that? I think its a good idea. Mainly because the new eating is a huge transition, to go along with the other huge transition in my life of the hubs retiring from the mil and us switching roles. Just wondered if anyone had any experience with a therapist helping with weight loss