What's in your pantry?

Options
tammietifanie
tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
This weekend i'm going through my pantry and stocking up on Paleo foods, I'm still very new to this lifestyle and i'm having a hard time figuring out what I need to buy when I go shopping and what should I have on hand.. I wanted to ask everyone what are your "must haves" when you go shopping what do you have to buy or keep in the house at all times. I'm trying to break the habit of grabbing a yogurt for a snack or cottage cheese as a snack.. What snacks do you keep on hand? I'm still trying to figure out meals. I'm the only one in my house that is eating Paleo so i'm having a hard time cooking for my family but making sure it's okay for me to eat also...

Replies

• homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    This weekend i'm going through my pantry and stocking up on Paleo foods, I'm still very new to this lifestyle and i'm having a hard time figuring out what I need to buy when I go shopping and what should I have on hand.. I wanted to ask everyone what are your "must haves" when you go shopping what do you have to buy or keep in the house at all times. I'm trying to break the habit of grabbing a yogurt for a snack or cottage cheese as a snack.. What snacks do you keep on hand? I'm still trying to figure out meals. I'm the only one in my house that is eating Paleo so i'm having a hard time cooking for my family but making sure it's okay for me to eat also...

I just bought a package of sushi wraps (used to love California rolls) to wrap egg salad or tuna salad in. Looking forward to lunch.

Other must haves for me:
    Canned salmon, tuna, sardines
    Onions, celery, carrots, jicama, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage or Brussels sprouts
    Kosher dill pickles, assorted olives
    Coconut oil, evoo, butter or ghee
    Ground beef and chicken in the freezer
    Medium shred dried coconut for the times I need coconut milk in a recipe -- I haven't found a brand of canned coconut milk I like yet. They all taste like evaporated milk used to taste to me.
    85% dark chocolate
    Raw honey
    Raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar; home-brewed kombucha
    Maybe a little fruit, or sweet potato, or winter squash. Not much, though. Occasional treat.

(I don't snack, really. I did buy a box of organic hard boiled eggs at Costco this week. They come in packages of two already peeled eggs and have a sell by date two weeks from now. Great to grab when I am going out the door and not sure if I'll be gone over a mealtime. Since I usually don't eat breakfast, I start getting peckish around 1 or 2 but some days I leave the house at 11 and don't get back until 6 or 7. If I'm organized or not interrupted and run ragged by frantic teens, I'll stir up some bacon or other meat and veggies and bring it with me to eat when I get hungry while waiting for kids in classes or appointments.)

(Hope this makes sense! Loud, animated conversation going on around me.)
  • Kaelitr0n
    Kaelitr0n Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I am sure to keep many cans of whole organic coconut milk on hand at all times. I also buy my favorite nuts and make a mix of them to reach for when I'm feeling snacky. Coconut oil, coconut butter, and almond butter all have their places in my pantry.

This one sounds a little weird, but I also make sure to keep sardines in olive oil on hand. I like the spicy ones the best. They're full of great fats, calcium, and other awesome nutrients. I like to mash them up with a fork and pour the whole lot, oil and all, over a salad... that way I don't think of it when I'm eating identifiable fish parts.

Other canned seafood, too--tuna, salmon, crab, oysters. These are great for throwing together a quick meal on the fly. I also like to keep organic canned pumpkin around.
  • Rei1988
    Rei1988 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    -coconut milk ( though I need a cleaner brand)
    -Nuts
    -tomato sauce
    -homemade beef jerky & dried fruit
    -olives
    -canned tuna
    -dried kelp & bonito flakes for dashi
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    -Nuts
    -tomato sauce
    -olives
    -canned tuna

I love dashi! But doesn't bonito have a lot of preservatives?
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Staples for us are:

- Beef jerky
    - coconut oil
    - almonds
    - walnuts
    - we microwave bacon and keep it in the fridge....great for when you have a craving for something crunchy and salty.
    - hard boiled eggs
    - mini cucumbers
    - smoked salmon
    - pork/turkey/beef taco meat...I know that the seasoning isn't the best, but we use the meat a lot! On salad with avocado, with scrambled eggs, etc. I do a big batch and put it in a container in the fridge.
    - bananas
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    My first thought was "pantry? what's that?" because the vast majority of my foods are fridge foods. That said, here's what I normally keep on hand:

non-fridge:
    Canned coconut milk (I use Thai Kitchen, usually, because they're one of the only brands I've found that doesn't have a bunch of additives, and they come in small cans, so I don't waste as much)
    Onions (red, white, green, yellow)
    Garlic
    Herbs/Spices (get bold - curry, chili powder, paprika, etc., in addition to the usual faire)
    Cocoa powder
    Canned tuna
    Chicken stock
    Beef stock
    Potatoes (sweet and regular; if you can do higher carb)
    Tomato paste
    Tomato sauce
    Coconut oil
    Vanilla extract
    Nuts (walnuts, cashews, almonds, etc)
    Coconut flour/tapioca flour/almond flour (if you can handle the carbs and not be tempted to always paleoize SAD foods)

fridge:
    Eggs
    Snowville milk (we do milk; Snowville is a local creamery that uses primarily A2 cows and sells non-homogenized, low-heat pasteurized milk, which is as close to raw as I can get in my state without jumping through hoops and loopholes; if you do dairy, try to get raw milk if you can)
    Bacon
    Butter

As for snacks, I've found that I don't generally need snacks when I keep my carbs under 100g and keep my fat intake up (in fact, I have trouble eating enough food in general, because I'm not usually hungry), so your snack thing might just be a habit. That said, some good snack foods include:

If you do dairy:
    cottage cheese (this actually isn't a bad choice, since it's high in protein and fat; try to get full-fat varieties if you can)
    plain yogurt or kefir (probiotics! full fat, if you can)
    ricotta cheese

Else:
    kiwi and other "single-serve" type fruit (if you can spare the carbs)
    carrot/celery sticks and almond butter
    almond/nut butter by itself
    water kefir/kombucha
    jerky (watch the additives)
    meat slices (cook your favorite cut of meat, then slice it up into sticks)
    nuts

Just about anything works as a snack, really.
  • tammietifanie
    Options
    I've never tried Coconut milk before, Do you cook with it our just drink it straight ?
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I've never tried Coconut milk before, Do you cook with it our just drink it straight ?

Yes. :wink:

More seriously, you can do both. Many people use coconut cream to replace dairy cream in their coffee. Others use coconut milk as a base for protein shakes (if they do that sort of thing) or smoothies or whatever. You can also use it instead of dairy milk in most recipes, and some dishes, like curry, are made with coconut milk in mind.
  • ajwolters
    Options
    Unrefrigerated:

Coconut oil
    Vidalia onions
    Sweet potatoes
    Lindt 85% or 90% dark chocolate bars
    Larabar Uber Sticky Bun (new favorite!)
    raw unsalted almonds, pecans, walnuts, and brazils
    unsweetened applesauce cups
    honey

Fridge:

eggs
    pre-cooked bacon
    breakfast sausage
    lettuce (romaine, spinach, green leaf, etc)
    tomatoes
    carrot shreds
    low carb salad dressing
    mushrooms
    butter

Freezer:

asparagus, brussels sprouts, snow peas, green beans
    ground beef
    chicken
    shrimp
    salmon

I like having salad fixings available at all times, for lunch or dinner. I like to bake chicken on the weekend and then put it in the freezer so it's ready for a salad when I'm running late. Also good to keep hard boiled eggs around. Sometimes I bake up a whole pan of sweet potatoes and then put them in little freezer boxes with butter, honey, and cinnamon. These are good snacks, dessert, or grab and go part of lunch.

I don't enjoy cooking, so my meals are usually really basic. Baked or fried meat, and a frozen veggie with butter done in 2 minutes in the microwave. Salad with the chicken I already baked, or sometimes with ground beef and onions. When pork loin is on sale, I bake that up and put it in freezer boxes.
  • tammietifanie
    Options

Yes. :wink:

More seriously, you can do both. Many people use coconut cream to replace dairy cream in their coffee. Others use coconut milk as a base for protein shakes (if they do that sort of thing) or smoothies or whatever. You can also use it instead of dairy milk in most recipes, and some dishes, like curry, are made with coconut milk in mind.

Using it as coffee creamer sounds delish!! Will have to buy a few cans :)
  • Rei1988
    Rei1988 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    -Nuts
    -tomato sauce
    -olives
    -canned tuna

I love dashi! But doesn't bonito have a lot of preservatives?

Not that I was aware of, but I just read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katsuobushi apparently it's fermented but toxic fungus is often found in it :(
  • leighn62
    leighn62 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Snacks:

Hard boiled eggs
    Mini baby bell cheese
    almond butter
    pork rinds dipped in full fat mayo mixed with any kind of tapenade or pesto

Pantry:

Crushed tomatoes
    Canned artichokes
    Salsa

Fridge/Freezer

Lunch meat
    Full fat cheese slices
    Full fat mayo
    heavy cream or half and half
    frozen broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, spinach
    Bacon I have precooked
    smoked sausage
    Avocados
    Eggs
    Frozen meats of all kinds
    All kinds of fresh veggies and salad
    olives
    blue cheese
    feta
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    must haves every grocery day!
    - almond milk
    - tuna
    - eggs
    - meat ...all kinds
    - veggies - all kinds
    - cans of tuna
    - turkey bacon
    - coffee
    - nuts
  • tammietifanie
    Options
    I went out and bought some Coconut milk, OMG ! where has this been my whole life..... I've had soy milk and almond milk before but never coconut .. WOW! I love how silky it is and my stomach hasn't had any issues with it so far...
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Are you buying the almond/soy milk equivalent of coconut milk? Or the cans?

Both are good but they're very different. The canned one is great for cooking and is really thick. You probably wouldn't want to drink it just like that (though you could, but it would be tough to have a full glass).

It's crazy how little we actually keep in our pantry.
    - varied nuts
    - protein powder
    - tea and coffee
    - coconut milk
    - pasta sauces
    - spices
    - varied oils and vinegars
  • irishguns
    irishguns Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Let's see, we keep (in no certain order):

- Raw veggies, all kinds, we snack on them and my daughter takes them to school for lunch
    - Some fruit
    - Raw natural nuts, almonds, walnuts and seeds
    - Coconut milk, canned
    - Spices of all kinds
    - Cheese, I don't eat much but my daughter takes it to school for lunch
    - Tea
    - Olive oil, coconut oil, vinegar, etc
    - Sunbutter
    - Salsa
    - Eggs
    - Bacon
    - Fish (lots o' fish, we love seafood)
    - Other meats
    - Almond milk

I hadn't thought about keeping tuna around but that's a great idea too.
  • tammietifanie
    Options

Both are good but they're very different. The canned one is great for cooking and is really thick. You probably wouldn't want to drink it just like that (though you could, but it would be tough to have a full glass).

- varied nuts
    - protein powder
    - tea and coffee
    - coconut milk
    - pasta sauces
    - spices

I bought the carton kinds, I was going to get canned milk but your right it looked way to thick, If I need it for a recipe then I will buy that kind..
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options

- varied nuts
    - protein powder
    - tea and coffee
    - coconut milk
    - pasta sauces
    - spices

I bought the carton kinds, I was going to get canned milk but your right it looked way to thick, If I need it for a recipe then I will buy that kind..

Ya, for drinking you would definitely want the carton kind. The canned milk is great as well. We often use it in stir frys or in shakes. Having it in berries is great as well. We often froth it in a blender and keep it in the fridge - it usually stays pretty foamy and even just eating it with a spoon is delicious.
  • degan2011
    degan2011 Posts: 316 Member
    Options

- varied nuts
    - protein powder
    - tea and coffee
    - coconut milk
    - pasta sauces
    - spices

Ya, for drinking you would definitely want the carton kind. The canned milk is great as well. We often use it in stir frys or in shakes. Having it in berries is great as well. We often froth it in a blender and keep it in the fridge - it usually stays pretty foamy and even just eating it with a spoon is delicious.

I tried coconut milk (carton kind) and it didn't taste good at ALL!!! it was the "so Delicious" kind?? it tasted woody and thick and coated my mouth with a fatty film.... anyone have a better tasting brand?
  • degan2011
    degan2011 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I went out and bought some Coconut milk, OMG ! where has this been my whole life..... I've had soy milk and almond milk before but never coconut .. WOW! I love how silky it is and my stomach hasn't had any issues with it so far...

What brand did you buy?