18 Days Post-Op - On Day 11 of Stall :(

Options
While I completely understand that this stall will pass it is still very discouraging. In the first week of post op I lost 17 lbs, which is a crazy high amount of weight I have stayed exactly the same since that day. Lame.

I am getting my fluids in, finally getting enough protein in, and finally able to consume between 600-700 calories (the first week & a half I was only able to get between 300-500 calories in). I also had my first NSV when last week I put on jeans for the first time since surgery (incisions finally healed enough) and they fit better. My hubby is making jokes - removed 85% of your tummy all for 20 lbs :) Again, we both know the weight will start to drop again, but it just seems so weird to have happened so early on and it's lasting so long.

Did anyone else experience this? If so, how long did it last?

Replies

• Losing_Sarah
    Losing_Sarah Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    P.S. I did lose 11 lbs in the 2 weeks pre-op diet, and the day I came home had gained 6 lbs. I'm assuming it was water weight from the surgery, but since my HW pre-op I've lost 22 lbs.
  • dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Hi Sarah, Breathe a bit and relax, you are not alone. I don't know of many who do not hit the dreaded three week stall. It just seems to have hit you much sooner than three weeks out.

Think about it. You just had major surgery, even though you are getting more calories in now, your stomach is still healing and your system is trying to deal with all of this. Just keep doing what your doctor orders. Walk and do very light exercise to get that metabolism firing up and you will be amazed when the weight does start coming off how much will drop initially.

Hang tight, and if you are really concerned about something, I urge you to call the surgeons office and talk to them about those concerns. They are going to know best what your doctor wants done to meet your needs.
  • Slenderella923
    Slenderella923 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hang in there sweetie!! It feels like forever but things are obviously changing in your body even if the pounds aren't coming off!!
  • Losing_Sarah
    Options
    Thanks! I know darn well that I will continue to lose again I just keep seeing that same number on the scale. I'm just going to keep following my docs plan and wait. I have my first post-op appointment with my doc & then a NUT on Friday, so if I still am not seeing a drop I will definitely bring it up. I probably will mention the stall anyway to tell you the truth.

I have to keep reminding myself that while this surgery is a fantastic tool to help me lose this weight I did not gain the weight overnight, so I need to learn to be more patient.
  • teachren
    Options
    I feel ya, Sara but you're going to have to get used to it unfortunately. I hit my first stall right around week 3 and it lasted for 10 days. Then I was rolling along for a while and about month 3 hit another one for 2 weeks.

At that point I was feeling up to more exercise so I got myself into the gym and started to work out and it pushed me through it.

It's just so discouraging as you know you are doing the right things...so why doesn't the fat just melt away? :-)

I am coming up in 10 days on 6 months since surgery. I'm down 100 pounds and I feel fantastic. You will too! I just finally got over another impasse and figured out that I lose up until I have my period...then gain (water of course) and it takes about a week after my period ends before I get rid of the excess water my body held onto and then I drop 4 or 5 pounds rapidly. I've decided that's just how it works for me so I try not to get too worked up when I know I am going to gain or hold steady even though I'm eating right.

When you're feeling up to exercise like step aerobics or weight lifting get to the gym. I think it has made much more of a difference in my weight loss and my overall health. I feel like I have been able to maintain my muscle mass and hopefully that will help of offset the significant amount of baggy skin I have.

Rest assured...you are doing all the right things I am sure. Just hold steady and keep on the same track. It will start coming off again soon.

Best of luck

Renee
  • pattycakes726
    pattycakes726 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    It is very frustrating, but hang in there. It's temporary. I didn't lose ANY weight for nearly a month after surgery and I was ready to jump out a window! Since then I've been losing steadily. Your body will have no choice but to lose weight and it will start soon :)
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    The support group I attend likes to remind the ladies to take regular body measurements but only get on the scale weekly. The consensus is you will see positive proportional changes even when yo may be stalling with actul weight loss. Also remember that fat weighs much less than muscle. A little muscle toning will offset fat weight loss but the overall effect is positive. Hang in there.
  • Losing_Sarah
    Options
    Thanks for the words of encouragement and advice everyone. I do have a YMCA membership, and while I haven't utilized it much since surgery, but plan to soon. I have my first post-op appointment on Friday, so hopefully I'll be cleared for exercise beyond walking. I'd like to start get back to strength training.

I did actually measure my parts pre-op, but my plan is to only measure at each one month mark. I have noticed more clothing that fits a bit better, so this is making me feel much better. Still at a stall this morning, but putting on a sweater right after I weighed in and finding it not tight anymore killed the disappointment I felt!

I'm just going to keep doing the right things and wait :)
  • suzee279
    Options
    Try not to stress over your body having a rest. It has recently been through quite an ordeal and is trying to adjust to a healing stomach, as well as all this sudden crazy weight loss. It will start again very soon...right now its taking a deep breath and trying to adjust.

Whenever I would get upset over things not moving on the old scale, I tell myself...Look this is a lifestyle, not a diet. You are doing the right things and the scale will catch back up with you soon. Just keep doing the right things and the rest will all work its way out. Then keep repeating until you are no longer upset. (smile)

I have a body that loves to lose in fits and starts. It is never consistent...but it does seem to move downwards. I stall in what seems a couple of weeks out of every couple of months. No worries...I am going in the right direction. You are too!!
  • emmerin78
    emmerin78 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I
    I I I
    I I I
    I
    I
    I
    What they said! ;) I often say that I wish weight loss were the exact science that many people would have us believe. Like you, I also hit a stall right after I dropped a bit of initial weight, which was very frustrating. However, once my body had time to heal and get used to this brave new world, the weight started coming off. By and large, my losses have averaged between 2 and 3 lbs. per week, but I have had a week where I lost 6 lbs. and a couple of weeks where I've lost nothing or very small amounts. I've figured out that I do better when I eat over my protein goal of 90 grams per day, and on the higher end of my calories (between 1000 and 1200) but everyone is different. Some folks can only lose on less, and some lose on more. I only weigh once a week and I really need to buy a tape measure so I can start tracking inches (I have been meaning to do that since my surgery date in July lol). Hang in there and know that your body just needs some time and your ship will right itself soon. In the meantime, we're all here to support you :)
  • ratkins811
    ratkins811 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for posting this. I was feeling some of the same anxiety but feel better after reading the responses. :smile:
  • Losing_Sarah
    Options
    Glad I could help. Stalls are really common and we cannot let ourselves get stressed out by the number on the scale. I had my first post-op doc visit today, too, and he said that it is really common for there to be a stall sometime in the first month that can last a while, then often there is significant weight loss after that, which lasts at least a few months. It's all about staying on plan.

Good luck!
  • shonrecio
    shonrecio Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have been stalled at 54 lbs for the past month and thought I was doing something wrong. I walk 10/12 miles a week and do aerobics(turbo jam or Hip Hip Ab) for 45-60 each day (Monday-Friday). I have noticed that my ankles and feet are swollen a lot. I never had this before surgery, but now I have. I have a Dr. apt tomorrow to see why i'm swelling in those areas. I think this could be contributing to my stall. I think I am retaining water but will see. Good post. Lots of us are feeling the same way. I just continue to eat right and exercise and hopefully the stall will subside. I even decided to trick my body by going liquid diet like in the first few weeks just to see if this helps, since i'm 3 months out now. I know 54 isn't something to sneeze at but I expected more by now.
  • Losing_Sarah
    Options
    Hi Shonrelco,

I'm glad you're going in. That is totally water retention! I hope you're not uncomfortable. 54 lbs is great, but yes, a one month stall sucks! I am about four weeks out now, and am pretty much still at a stall. I did lose one pound about a week ago, but have been stuck at 291.2 (exactly) since then.

It's so frustrating, but I just keep telling myself, especially considering how little I'm eating that I will see a dang drop. I had my first post-op appointment with my surgeon last week, and he said it was normal. Of course, if I see anything like swollen feet, ankles, legs I'm going right in.

I am also trying so hard to get my water in because I know most days I am not meeting how much I should get in. I often meet my doctors goal of a minimum of 6 cups (at this stage post-op) but I don't think that's enough. I've been able to drink a bit faster, so I really need to put myself on a water schedule of something.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,705 Member
    Options
    I think K and I hit our stalls two weeks out: 2-3 weeks with no loss. Knew it had to change, following instructions, but still frustrating. Then "poof" 3-4 pounds in a weekend. It's such a nice feeling. Let us know when it happens to you, okay?

I bought a "nurse's watch" that could be set to beep every 15 minutes. (An egg timer on your computer will work too.) Then I'd drink my ounce of water. That's what the nurse told me to do. And she was right, if I didn't drink that often, it was really hard to get enough each day.

Best wishes.
    Paula

p.s. look at the "amount lost" in peoples tickers on this page. And welcome to the group. I was sleeved in June after losing 40# pre-op.
  • shonrecio
    shonrecio Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Losing_Sarah,
    One thing I have noticed is that I am losing inches. I know we want to see the scales move but losing inches is just as important. So I am learning that when I don't see scale results I measure to see if my inches have changed. Just hang in there, keep doing what the Dr. says to do, follow your plan, and yes try to get your water in. I know it's hard because I am struggling with getting all my water in too. You will do great.
  • Losing_Sarah
    Options
    Paula - I should definitely look into a nurses watch. I hate wearing a watch, but I am only getting about 6 cups/day in. I'm clearly not trying hard enough. Today I will get more than 8 cups in! My weight again is still 291.2. I know it will start to drop. It has, so, but it is so incredibly discouraging.

I was so happy to get below the 300 lb mark right after surgery. Being stuck in the 290's for so long sucks. I am going to try really hard to avoid the scale until Sunday. My "official" weigh-in day. Getting on it every morning and seeing that 291.2 is terrible. :(
  • Bubirn
    Bubirn Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Well I'm glad you posted this. I am on my second week post sleeve and I had not heard of having a stall this early. I guess I never thought about it and figured with the low calorie intake it couldn't happen. Thank you because I will be better prepared when it occurs.

I'm sure it's frustrating to be doing things right and not seeing results. I'm going with the rest of them on the thread that this will pass. I see the number on people's tickers and I'm excited and optimistic to start mine moving too. I lost 14.5 first week post op and I was thinking could high numbers keep coming, ok if was happily dreaming at the time ;-)

Gerri
  • bookwormjoy
    bookwormjoy Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    It will all work out just fine! I have FINALLY reached a point where I do not freak if I hit a stall or even gain a pound or two (which is usually just hormonal or water) because as long as I eat that protein and stay in my calorie count and WORK OUT (big one for me cuz I can still eat to 1200 calories without a problem)... The scale just keeps on moving the right direction!!!
  • Losing_Sarah
    Options
    I finally had a good drop this morning. I hope it keeps going :) Whatever happens, though, I know that as long as I keep doing what I'm doing the weight will come off!