2 marathons in 8 days

Options
B3Streeter
B3Streeter Posts: 292 Member
October 27th I will be running my first marathon in Cape Cod, I have been planning this race for almost a year. A few months ago I was given the chance to run in the NYC marathon on Nov. 3rd. There was absolutely no way I could just pass by that opportunity. I'm aware it's probably stupid being so close to Cape Cod, but I have been training hard and am excited for whatever craziness I have gotten myself into.
My question though is how to handle the week in-between for the fastest recovery possible. Any suggestions would be amazing. Thanks guys!

Replies

• DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    1. Ice bath ASAP after Cape Cod
    2. Go run the next day. Go VERY slow and only 2-3 miles but you have to get your legs moving. After the first mile your legs will start to feel ok, do not speed up.
    3. 3 more easy runs during the week. No big miles, nothing fast.

Only other thing I would recommend is don't push to hard during Cape Cod. It is hard to hold back in a race like that but I would knock :30 seconds per mile off your intended pace.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Wow! That's amazingly, awesomely, terrifyingly cool :)

I have no good advice, but I'd love to hear how it went after!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you really, REALLY give this some thought. If Cape Cod is your first marathon, you are going to be beat up after it. You will probably not be able to walk normally for a week. You are also putting yourself at serious risk of an overuse injury. If it were me, I would drop one of them.

But, if you insist on doing this, don't run the entire way at Cape Cod. Walk either the first or last 6 to 8 miles (preferably the last) so that it's a supported long run with a recovery walk at the end.

Then ice bath and massage and keep moving that week between the two.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Straight up, I would have died if I tried to run another marathon 8 days after my first. You have NO idea how trashed that first marathon will leave you (even if you do a great job with your training). Most people would be hard pressed to run an 8 - 10 miler one week later.

I'm with Carson on this one.
  • athensguy
    Options
    My second and third marathons were two weeks apart. The second one was pretty tough, but I pushed too hard in it because I didn't have a time goal and ended up with a side stitch. It's not fun running 10 miles with a side stitch.

So, my recommendation is that you have a time goal for both of them. For the second one, I wouldn't recommend having an optimistic time goal.

I would think the biggest factor in how you feel would be your weekly mileage. If you're running less than 50 mpw then you're probably going to have some serious pain.
  • derekj222
    derekj222 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    If you had already run a few, I would say awesome! But since you haven't, you're in for a painful adventure. I would suggest dropping one of them. You can't know how you will handle the 2nd if you've never run the first. Great oppurtuity, yes, but you will learn a lot from your first (as do all runners) and 1 week is hardly enough time to process all of that. Even if you walked, your body will not be ready for that. I know the endorphins are pushing you to do both, but really think about this. I was going to do 3 this fall, but I'm thinking of not signing up for the 3rd, only to give my body some rest. I've only been running since January, so need to go crazy the first year.

Good luck!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I'm 4 weeks in between my first FM and my next FM. A friend (vmclach - whoop whoop!) passed this plan on to me, and I really like it. Not that I'd recommend the 8 days in between (took me about 5 days to "feel" recovered, but will probably be a whole month to be actually recovered), but you can probably just adapt the 2 weeks between plan. Don't plan on doing much in between either. And count on some misery and regret. Or an expensive shirt.

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51153/Marathon-Multiple-Marathons-Training-Program
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I cannot even imagine trying to pull that off. Good luck and I hope you have a high pain threshold.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    My only advice, unless you're Dean Karnazes logging in under a pseudonym, is not to do it. I think Carson's answer nailed it......pick which one is more important to you and run that one.
  • B3Streeter
    Options
    Thanks for everyones advice! I will let you know how they go!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Good luck this weekend!
  • B3Streeter
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I ended up finishing cape cod in 4:01, and NYC today in 4:38 so I will take it! Great experience and now I don't want to think about another marathon for a while!!!
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I ended up finishing cape cod in 4:01, and NYC today in 4:38 so I will take it! Great experience and now I don't want to think about another marathon for a while!!!

I'm thinking of doing the Dopey Challenge at Disney World in January 2015. In four straight days you run a 5K, a 10K, a half marathon and then a full Marathon (in that order). I have no doubt I could do the first 3 and I am planning on running my first full this coming July so I am going to assume that I could run the Full on it's own. It's the running of a half and then a full in two straight days I worry about.

Having ran two marathons in 8 days, what do you think?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

Impressive results both! I think you've earned a rest day! :laugh:
  • B3Streeter
    Options
    Thanks! I guess I have a high pain threshold!!!
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Congrats. In case you didn't know you qualify for http://www.marathonmaniacs.com/