When do the meds begin to take effect?

Options
micqs
micqs Posts: 186 Member
Hey friends,

I recently started taking Methimazole ( about three weeks ago) to treat Grave's disease/Hyperthyroidism. I take a 5mg pill once a day. My question is how long does it take to get fully in my system? I am still experiencing awful heat flashes to the point I am literally getting sweat beads on my forehead and damp armpits. Its been chilly and there is no reason I should be wearing a short sleeved shirt outside and still sweating. I am also experiencing my hairloss. Im more annoyed by the sweating as I have a thick head of hair and I am not missing it (lol). My coworkers are telling me it takes a while for the medicine to be fully in your system. I find it hard to believe but I am not an expert. My next appointment is in December.

Replies

• epiphany29
    epiphany29 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I have answers for you as I had my Grave's treated with I131 and never took methimazole.

I am a veterinarian and treat a lot of hyperthyroid cats with methimazole. I generally check levels about a week after starting or after a dose change, so I would think that steady state would be reached pretty quick. Owners often report to me at that early recheck the signs they had previously noted (usually mostly ravenous appetite) are improved and many cats have gained a little weight back.

So, my honest recommendation is to call your doctor now and not wait until December. You aren't a cat, but you aren't feeling better either so your doctor should be the one with the best answers.

Pip
  • micqs
    micqs Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Yeah, Im calling the doctor. When I first started taking it, my period came a week early. Right after I posted this, I went to the gym and went to the bathroom and there is blood again (this is only one week after my period ended)... Looked up and saw that its a side effect? So calling the doctor on Monday to see what we can do. Thank you for your response.
  • ClaUuuUuu
    ClaUuuUuu Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I had hyperthyroidism for about 3 years. Just had RAI in the process to get hipo soon.

Meds for me... took like 1 month.... Be careful with your weight. I didn't watch myself and I gained everything I had lost because of the hyperthyroidism and more. I lost it... But it was a pain in the *kitten*.

:-)
  • chichi2130
    chichi2130 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Definitely call your doctor if you think the bleeding is caused by the meds... you shouldn't be experiencing any side effects, so you may be switched to another medicine and/or dosage.

Otherwise, it will take about 4-6 weeks for the methimazole to take effect.