I didn't know I could run that fast!

Options
emAZn
emAZn Posts: 413 Member
Yesterday I ran my 6th half marathon and set my goal at 2:30 since that had basically been my training pace (11-12 min/mile averages). It has been 2 years since my last race and my last PR was 2:40, but I've also lost over 40 lbs since then so I was pretty confident in my goal.

Well I killed it... 2:09 was my time started with 10:30 miles, then 10, then 9:30, final mile was 7:58. I've never run an 8 minute mile in my life! I even managed to keep my heart rate mostly in my training zone. Best feeling ever but I'm like where the heck did this come from.. I mean I know your race pace can be significantly faster than your training pace but is this normal? Did I just get stuck in my training pace and not push myself?

This half was actually part of my 20 week training for my first full marathon in January and now I'm wondering if I should just keep going with what I'm doing or what. My goal for my full is just to finish injury free. Maybe step up the training after the full? I want to keep running fast! :)

Replies

• ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    You did everything right! The key is to run the training runs slow and the races fast. Would make no sense to burn yourself out on racing all your training runs. You totally killed that race! Plug your time from this half into the McMillan calculator and see what it gives you for training paces for your full.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    It's great when we surprise ourselves! Great work! Check out McMillan like Jen said and see what it says for training paces and projected marathon times. I think the rule of thumb is to add 15 mins for your first full.

I keep these numbers in mind when I do my long runs. I do prefer to take a pretty organic approach to running. I log my runs, but don't look at any information while I'm running. I just do my long runs at what feels like a la-ti-da pace usually 10:30. I haven't attempted more than 16 miles. But for some reason I can only run 10:00 for halfs not sure why. I surprise myself by being slower than I should be!

Anyway I will be making my decision about running a full next Sunday after my 4th half. If I do decide to train for a full, my goals will be to finish before the course closes (6 hours) and not hate running. But you have to pick your goals based on your knowledge of your abilities and your personality. And I personally get so bogged down in measuring up to some impossible standards I put on myself, that it seems like I'd have a better time letting go of the time goals all together and just seeing what happens.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    First off, good job!

Secondly, don't change your easy run pace based on the result of this race. Easy is supposed to be easy. Races are meant to be faster. My HM pace is around 2:30 faster than my easy run pace. You were able to perform as you did because you have built a wonderful aerobic base. That's what you need for the HM and marathon. Also, don't be lulled into thinking that the relatively easy 2:09 HM will translate into a comfortable 4:30 marathon because they are just too different beast. :) Just a word of caution.
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I set my half PR in the midst of marathon training too, something about all those extra training miles really worked wonders when it came to my pace.

Personally - from my experience - the marathon is such a different beast than the half marathon. Even though it's twice as long, it's more than twice as hard. I would continue with what you're doing and if taking it a little slower means you get a second wind at mile 20, that would be AWESOME for you. Think of it another way - your first marathon will be a PR no matter what. If you complete it, feel good during and after - then you can set your sights on more lofty time goals the next time around.

Congrats on your half PR, by the way!!
  • emAZn
    emAZn Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the advice! I'm pretty happy and comfortable with my training pace and would be even more happy to control it down further for full marathon training, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't short changing myself by being too comfortable.

We'll see how the marathon training goes, I'll be excited to just cross the finish line... well maybe... I've heard some pretty rugged stories about the "beast" that is a whole marathon lol.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    That's great! Regarding "appropriate" speed, I just unplug the "data" and give it my all. I ran a 1:45 HM back in June, and will race that distance again in May. I don't have a certain goal except to bet my PR, but I imagine it will be quicker and will just push myself hard. I had a surprise moment at a recent 10K by maintaining a 7min/mi pace. According to McMillan, the 10K time translates perfectly to my other PRs.

I almost got caught up in the HMx2 thing, but listened to Carson and a couple others here and the perspective really helped my satisfaction with the race and future motivation with FMs. For me, McMillan seems to work for HM and below - FM times are just out of whack.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

I almost got caught up in the HMx2 thing, but listened to Carson and a couple others here and the perspective really helped my satisfaction with the race and future motivation with FMs. For me, McMillan seems to work for HM and below - FM times are just out of whack.

My marathon times are just now starting to align with McMillan. It only took 10 years and 4 marathons.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    How about this guys calculator? It's even more aggressive as far as paces. It tells me I can run a sub 4 hour marathon. :laugh:

http://fellrnr.com/wiki/VDOT_Results?Distance=11&Hours=01&Minutes=56&Seconds=24&Temperature=55&TempUnits=Fahrenheit&Weight=145&WeightUnits=Pounds&Mileage=40
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Excellent result!

Some of the calculators are pretty aggressive......I'm putting my faith in McMillan's and shooting for a sub 2hr HM next May.