My epiphany on the 5 & 1 and BREAD

Options
MCLA4mom
MCLA4mom Posts: 219 Member
This is what I have learned from the 5 & 1 program (personally and from coaching my awesome clients). Here it goes! Wait for it...

"ONE piece of bread will NOT destroy everything that you have worked so hard for! It's the 4 PIECES of bread that follow because you get pissed of at yourself!"

When we go off program and decide to go back on the 5 & 1 in 4 days and you eat everything in sight till then, THAT should be a sign. People can gain 20lbs "trying" to stay in the 5 & 1 and it can be very damaging. The 5 & 1 is NOT the program that we should be doing! We are on a HEALTH JOURNEY. The 5 & 1 is just a tool to kick start us further down the line. Its really just suppose to bring us to a teachable moment. Most people are so busy beating up on ourselves that we don't even realize how far we have actually come!
I love what my client recently told me in a conversation I had with her this morning. She was struggling to stay on plan and was recently able to get her act together I asked her what changed. She said "I had to create an interpretation of this program that makes it NOT A WEIGHT LOSS PROGRAM".
This is perfect! Its about creating health in our lives. Weight loss is often part of that. But it is certainly not the only part of it.
OK. Of my soapbox now.

Just thought I'd share!

Replies

• bdelaney001
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this! My approach to the program was similar. After trying the Medifast pancakes, oatmeal and eggs I found it was just not working for me. So I made the plan my own...I eat one of the two breakfasts everyday ( 1 egg and 1 egg white, two slices of whole grain reduced calorie bread or 1/2 cup of oatmeal with a sprinkle of nuts and cinnamon). I eat the MF meals during the day and the lean and green for dinner. I am 2 pounds away from my goal and am confident that I will be able to maintain the healthy habits I have built. It will basically what I am doing now only incorporating a few homemade snacks during the day. I think I will always have the MF bars on hand for convenience. I love this program!
  • melissalauritzen
    Options
    I've found that being on the 4&2 system that even if I have a roll (dining out) or the super-tempting Costco churro (I have evil friends I tell you!) it's not a deal buster with me, I might gain 4-6 ounces but it comes off the next day (or if I boost up my steps (trying to get to 10K or up) then there's no gain (not really a loss, but no gain!) The big trick is to not go all out with carbs. Heck, I even (once in awhile) splurge on carbs and get ONE IHOPE pancake.