Is any fruit allowed?

Options
Hi everyone!

I have been on a keto based diet for just over a month now and love it. However I would really love to be able to introduce fruit into my diet. Not much at all..probably not even 1 piece a day. Maybe just 2/3 pieces a week. Is it possible to stay in keto and still eat a small amount of fruit?

Replies

• kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Berries are what's typically recommended. Most fruit is just too high in sugar. People are different for what they can tolerate to maintain ketosis. Assuming that's your goal, just go cautiously. Some research indicates that you can have up to 50 g carbs per day, and not be impacted. But it definitely varies from person to person.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    It's a lot easier if you're going to eat, say, an apple (80-100 calories of carbohdyrates) a half hour before running a 5k or lifting some weights. Basically, whatever sugars and starches you take in, make sure to burn off quickly.
  • Chris_B62
    Chris_B62 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Been wondering about this myself. Not in a craving stage though.
    Berries are what's typically recommended. Most fruit is just too high in sugar. People are different for what they can tolerate to maintain ketosis. Assuming that's your goal, just go cautiously. Some research indicates that you can have up to 50 g carbs per day, and not be impacted. But it definitely varies from person to person.
    I think I read somewhere not too long ago what Kira is talking about, not to mention the fact that she's crackerjack smart about this stuff.
    QUESTION: If you do eat some berries with a meal, would it help if you eat some flax w/ the meal to boost the fiber intake? Or does the fiber in question have to be part of the food (berries) that the carbs come from???
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Been wondering about this myself. Not in a craving stage though.
    I think I read somewhere not too long ago what Kira is talking about, not to mention the fact that she's crackerjack smart about this stuff.
    QUESTION: If you do eat some berries with a meal, would it help if you eat some flax w/ the meal to boost the fiber intake? Or does the fiber in question have to be part of the food (berries) that the carbs come from???

Most berries have a decent amount of fiber already, but as far as concern about staying in ketosis, getting a decent amount of fat in is more important than the fiber. Heavy whipping cream goes fabulously with berries. :wink:
  • Semifredo
    Semifredo Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I eat 2-3 times a week papaya or kaki fruit ( I know, strange choice but I should eat orange vegs and fruit) but only for breakfast and I'm still in ketosis . I don't think its healthy not to eat vegs and fruit for longer.