Desperate Cravings

Options
I've been faithful to my low carb diet since my Diabetes diagnosis 2 months ago. I haven't gone keto, but I'm trying my best to keep my meals low carb and I avoid almost all refined carbs (with the exception of 1/2 a slice of multigrain toast at breakfast most days).

I'm am craving something tasty to eat so badly that I'm grumpy. The grocery store near my home has these really good chocolate chip cookies they make in house. I want a few of them so, so bad. I'm not going to eat them. But I can't seem to get over wanting them. I feel trapped and immature at the same time.

What do you guys do to overcome cravings for things you know you shouldn't eat?

Replies

• jules11786
    jules11786 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I just give in:blushing:
    I have read that when you have an unstoppable craving you should satisfy it in the smallest quantity possible. I sort of don't agree because i am the type that will start small and end up gobbling everything in one go. The most effective is to quit once off and get over the withdrawal symptoms.
    Easier said than done. I am a sugar addict junkie.
    I'd love to know how you've come so far. Really I envy you for your effort and self control.
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I give in as well but try to keep the portions small. Like maybe get one of those cookies and have half for lunch and half for dinner? I know sometimes that is not manageable but it might be worth a try. I feel like my appetite in general has been low for the past year or so (since a little bit before diagnosis) so if I have a craving I usually end up having a little or trying to find a version that fits in my goals.
  • gobraves47
    gobraves47 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    A couple things help me--I either just eat a little of it--a serving or even just half a serving. Or sometimes I try delaying gratification. I'll tell myself, "If I stick to my plan this week, I can have whatever I'm craving (a reasonable portion) on Friday (or whenever)" Then, by the time Friday comes, I either have the treat, delay it further, or just decide it isn't really worth it.
  • kangaroo33
    kangaroo33 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Depends on my mood, but most of the time I tell myself that I can't control the crazies around me, but I can control what I put into my mouth! Easier said than done, of course.

I also try to remember the fact that I've had that...food item...a thousand times before and it's yummy, but not worth the time it will take to get out of my body! If you have type 2, generally it takes about a week to recoup from the damage...so any of the hard work that you have done for days before and days after will be wasted...especially if you're trying to lose weight and get your glucose under control. That's something I try hard to keep in the front of my brain when I'm having an I want to eat everything moment! Doesn't always work, but I do try.

Other times, I just make sure I have something that won't be too high in carbs, but just as satisfying when I have a craving...ie, dark chocolate squares, Healthy Choice frozen fudge pops, Dannon Light Greek yogurt with fruit on the bottom (9 carbs)..

And then, yes, I'm babbling on...sometimes I just eat the darn cookie, but if the package is too big I will either wrap the portions and freeze them or just take a portion and toss the rest so I am not tempted later to overindulge.
  • swalewis
    swalewis Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I love baking, and the T2 diagnosis has put the brakes on that for the most part. But I am slowly exploring low-carb baking and have found a few recipes that satisfy that craving while keeping to the plan. Low calorie they are not, and expensive ingredients, but a good indulgence.

I have a 9yr old son, and I'll ask for a bite of his cookie or 5 of his sweet potato fries and then he eats the rest. I wouldn't try this when I was alone though. ;)
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I indulge a bit too,

I eat a PART of something instead of a whole one. And I miss regular Coke terribly so when my b/f has one, I ask for a sip. Just enough to savor but that wont hurt me. Some people say they can't do that but they CAN...they just don't want to. :)
  • cathylopez1975
    cathylopez1975 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Been there - done that.:smile: I made the commitment 14 months ago to change my thinking about food. I went totally cold turkey and cut out sweets - candy, cookies, cake, pie, ice cream. I was a total chocolate addict. It was hard at first but has gotten easier with time. I can now smell something baking and remember how it tastes, and that's enough. I've replaced those sweets that I love(d) with fresh fruit or raw veggies that taste good, too. By the way, I've had a fun sized bag of M & Ms sitting on my counter since mid-October that I've been trying to decide if I want to eat - a gift from a student. Trying to see how log they can sit there.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I've been faithful to my low carb diet since my Diabetes diagnosis 2 months ago. I haven't gone keto, but I'm trying my best to keep my meals low carb and I avoid almost all refined carbs (with the exception of 1/2 a slice of multigrain toast at breakfast most days).

I'm am craving something tasty to eat so badly that I'm grumpy. The grocery store near my home has these really good chocolate chip cookies they make in house. I want a few of them so, so bad. I'm not going to eat them. But I can't seem to get over wanting them. I feel trapped and immature at the same time.

What do you guys do to overcome cravings for things you know you shouldn't eat?

You eat them, take the hit & tomorrow is a new day. I abstain for as long as I can and then, just when I can't take it anymore, the only way past it, is through it. So I indulge. A little. Then, it's over & I'm back to tight control.

This works for me because I eat to my meter so only every so often I go over. My targets are upwards of 10k steps per day, less than 140 mg/dl 1 hr PP and < 120 mg/dl 2 hr PP, casual BG, no more than around 110-115 mg/dl.

The more steps I take (or any low impact activity) seems to impact my BG's best & the more I get, the lower my BG's go, giving me more room for that occasional rise. Also, I've noticed it doesn't actually rise that dramatically if I've been more active than usual.

My suggestion is to learn your body's response patterns & work it accordingly :drinker: You'll find you'll be able to make room for that once in a while treat without the guilt & baggage that can come with it.