Having to eat under 1000 to loss

Options
Does anyone else having to eat way under their suggested calorie intake to lose? I'm having to eat under 1000 calories a day to lose anything. Im suppose to be eating about 1600

Replies

• mnomics
    mnomics Posts: 35
    Options
    Hi i am eating less then 1000 per day, 1200 is the amount MFP suggested but my diet is mostly proteins.

So far i have lost 11lbs in 2 weeks.
  • Raemama
    Raemama Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Yikes! I would definitely tell your physician about how little you consume to lose.
  • mnomics
    mnomics Posts: 35
    Options
    i don't think there is anything to worry about eating less then 1000, i take 3 proper meals a day, each meal is around 300.
  • Lazetica
    Lazetica Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Don't be confident that eating so little will make you lose weight. You need the adequate amount of calories so your body doesn't turn off and the metabolism slow down. I recommend lots of exercise at least 30 mins everyday. A way to calculate how many calories you need, take your weight in pounds divided by 2.2, that is your weight in kilos then multiply it by 25 and substract 200, that should help.
  • HistoryGirl1993
    Options
    I have been dealing with hypothyroidism for three years now, and the most important piece of advice I could ever give is: DO NOT GO UNDER 1200 calories!

I know it's tempting, and you feel that is the only way you will lose weight(or in my case that was the only way I was not gaining weight), but it's not worth it in the end. Right now your bodies need to heal. You are very sick right now, and your body will just feel sicker if you don't feed it the correct amount of calories. When I was down to 600 calories a day(again, this was not to lose, but to not gain), my doctor told me to go up to 1600. I nodded my head yes, but had no intention of actually doing so. He obviously could seen that I wasn't taking him seriously, because he turned around, put his hands on my shoulders, and said, "Now look at me in the eyes. You NEED to eat. Do you understand me young lady?" I literally started crying because in just a year I had put on 60lb(I was only 16yo at the time!), and I knew that if I listened I would gain even more.

I went home, more depressed then ever. I couldn't believe this was happening to me! I was just about to start my senior year of HS. I had just picked my college. Why wouldn't my body just work?

I listend though, and the first week I did put on a couple pounds, but I felt better than I had in a long time.
    I started going to the gym in the afternoon. The first time just twenty minutes. It doesn't sound like much, but I was working towards a goal; not weight loss, but recovery.

I began educate myself more about my condition, and slowly I figured out what worked for me.

I need plenty of rest.
    I need plenty of exercise(I now spend three hours at the gym)
    I need lot's protein and very little carbs.
    I cant eat meat or diary because the hormones interfere with mine.
    I need 1600 calories.
    I need to take care of me.

This year I have lost 40 lbs, I'm a sophomore in college, and I own my own photography studio. Life is better than ever.
    So please, make sure you are feeding your body!

Please feel free to add me :)

P.S. sorry if this all sounded "preachy" but I am very passionate and emotional about helping people with hypothyroidism.
    28280467.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • angelamendieta
    Options
    I for one agree with the author. If we have learned anything from this "complication" to our metabolism , it is that our bodies are not "normal" anymore. Why in gods green earth would following the normal recommended 1200 calories to lose weight...work for me? Hey. It may work for you. Lucky you. It does not work for me. I aim for 800 calories per day during the week but sometimes I go upto 1000 if I'm hungry or it's the week before my period and I get cravings. On the weekend I go upto 1200 (knowing that this amount of calories will NOT allow me to lose weight). I do that on weekends because I actually DONT want to lose too quickly because I am trying to avoid excess skin. I saw a comment about so some working out 3hrs per day...that is insane to maintain with a full time job. I quit work last year to dedicate myself to get back on track and get healthy. Since march I've lost 48lbs. 18lbs have been in the last 5 weeks after I finally had an aha moment (after no weight loss in 5 weeks). Anyway, as long as you don't skip meals, don't get light headed...why not? For me...the answer is a shake for breakfast and dinner, a healthy lunch and a protein shake after my workout. Plenty of tea and water...