Starting over

Options
kristafb
kristafb Posts: 770 Member
Hi everyone! I just completed week 1 and am so happy I started up again. I was doing the program back in april & may and made it to week 5 day 3 and the 20 minute run got the best of me. It was around this time when I got the flu and it was increasing hot in my bedroom where my treadmill is (I did the whole program on the treadmill last time). I gave up and felt guilty about it ever since.

Well last week I decided to try again, outside this time. Its hard. My breathing & heart rate are horrible, but improving daily. I'm slowly getting over the embarrassment of running by people, huffing & puffing, dragging my overweight behind along. I hope instead of criticizing me they are quietly encouraging me, like I do whenever I see an out of shape runner trudging along. If not, oh well, I don't know them. Its time to stop caring what others think and worry more about how I feel about myself. To start running at 47 years of age with an extra 60lbs on my body is not stupid, or anything to be embarrassed about, its brave and something to be very proud of . :flowerforyou:

Replies

• TomInAiken
    TomInAiken Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    It's really great that you are doing this again. I think you'll find being outside much more enjoyable, at least that's what I found. And as for wondering what others may think of your efforts -- don't worry about it. You're 47, I'm 68, and I know what it feels like to be passed by a 30 something who's been running since puberty. I just concluded that I'm doing this for myself and not to impress anyone else.

And don't feel bad if you get stuck at any point in the C25K program. I found Week 9, to be my worse. I had to repeat Week 9 Day 2 twice but managed to get through it. Now, as a C25K graduate, I can look back and wonder what all the fuss was about. You'll get there too, Just hang in there and your MFP friends will be there for you.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Good for you!!! I was so ashamed when I started C25k. One of my neighbors started cheering every time I ran past her. She still does. :)
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Welcome back! I was self-conscious when I started running outdoors, too, but that feeling goes away and the good feeling of being outdoors and running doesn't. Hang in there; don't give up and slow down if you have to.
  • kristafb
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your replies. I just love how supportive this group is, its definitely my favorite. And TominAiken, you really inspired me to get back out there. I would see your daily posts and realized if you can do it, 20 years my senior, what the heck was my excuse? Thank you my friend :drinker:
  • lyzmorrison
    lyzmorrison Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I'm 48 and have NEVER run before. Just the thought of running made me tired. Now I'm on W2D5. That's still early days, but I'm proud of myself. I too run on the treadmill. I don't have enough confidence to run outside yet. There is a track around a nice lake near my home, but it's just too intimidating to try. At least in the gym everyone looks miserable and I'm not the only one.
  • Amberh82
    Amberh82 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Just finished week 1 day 1 yesterday. It wasn't as bad as I thought....
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Good for you!!! I was so ashamed when I started C25k. One of my neighbors started cheering every time I ran past her. She still does. :)

Agreed! I started at the high school track very very early in the morning so that no one would see me. Now I run all over town in a skirt and I don't care who sees me! Before you know it you will wonder whatever made you so worried about 20 minutes.
  • kristafb
    Options
    So I finished week 1 no problem, well relatively no problems lol, and day one of week 2 I tweaked my left knee. :cry: I don' t know what I did to it but its swollen & sore & almost takes my breath away when I put my weight on it. I'm so frustrated!! Its been 5 days now & its just starting to feel better, I have a feeling I'm going to have to do week one all over again!!! I refuse to give up but I'm starting to think I"ll never finish this thing. :huh:
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Wait until your knee is better before starting again. Then slow down and pay attention to your stride. Is it too long? Are you putting extra pressure on your knee?
    Once over this hurdle, you'll be back at it again and doing great.
  • kristafb
    Options
    The weird thing is I hurt it walking, not running at all. My running is slow, stride is short, I over did it back in the spring when I started out & learned pretty quickly slow & steady wins the race :happy:

Its feeling better, still a bit tender. I work nights today & tomorrow so I will start again on tuesday and see how it goes. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks everyone for the feed back. :flowerforyou: