C25K Grad

Options
Goalsat47
Goalsat47 Posts: 74 Member
I'm just curious as to what app or program people liked best to go from a 5K to 10K training. I ran my first 5K about 3 weeks ago and I've run it a few times since and I'm doing pretty well with the distance now and my pace is also getting faster.

I used the run double app and I really loved it but the 10K app on that has me going back to walking breaks. I know that it makes sense but I hate to walk after all of my hard work.

What training plan did you follow for 5K to 10K training.

thanks,
Shiv

Replies

• Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I did weeks 9-14 of the C210K app by Zen Labs. Now I am doing the 10K Finish It plan from the book Train Like a Mother to build my mileage base. :smile:
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I did the RunDouble 5 to 10k plan once I finished it's C25K plan. I found the first week of 5 to 10k to be very hard, but I got through it in 2 weeks by interspersing easier and more enjoyable runs for me, in with the plans runs. Once I got to week 2, I was adjusted and able to follow the plan to the end.

Occasionally walking during the run is going to occur over and over during your training. Jeff Galloway has a whole program for running even long distances and incorporating walk breaks and the runners that use his method are competitive and successful.

You can use other methods, Hal Higdon has some nice ones. You can google for those and they have just running, but there's nothing of "going backward" with incorporating walking again while you increase your distance.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I used the Runner's World SmartCoach plan because I felt that walking breaks were "going backward." I was wrong about walking breaks being a step backward, but the SmartCoach application really is a useful tool.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I did the RunDouble 5 to 10k plan once I finished it's C25K plan. I found the first week of 5 to 10k to be very hard, but I got through it in 2 weeks by interspersing easier and more enjoyable runs for me, in with the plans runs. Once I got to week 2, I was adjusted and able to follow the plan to the end.

Occasionally walking during the run is going to occur over and over during your training. Jeff Galloway has a whole program for running even long distances and incorporating walk breaks and the runners that use his method are competitive and successful.

You can use other methods, Hal Higdon has some nice ones. You can google for those and they have just running, but there's nothing of "going backward" with incorporating walking again while you increase your distance.

^^This

I also used RunDouble all the way through the 5 to 10k. I needed those walking breaks to make it through- the distance increases pretty quickly I thought.