New and Need support

Options
LeeLynnP
LeeLynnP Posts: 116 Member
Hello! I have just had my initial appointment, looking at a possible gastric bypass. I have some support but also have naysayers... I could use some friends on here who know the drill.

Replies

• DebbysJourney
    DebbysJourney Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm just 3 weeks post-op, so still new to the experience. You've come to a great place though to get answers and support. Feel free to ask away, (I do) and we will do our best to help. :)

Debbie
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group!
    Yep, you'll get the "naysayers." I had several who told me "oh don't do it. People die. You won't like it. It doesn't work. Blah Blah Blah." Then I had those who were very supportive because they knew that, for me, it was a matter of life or death, really.
    Listen to your heart, your head, and educate yourself. Definitely don't go into this blindly. Know what to expect pre surgery, during the procedure, and post surgery. Know that it changes your life forever and you can never go back to the way you were before. Make sure you are comfortable with your dietitian and your surgeon and that you have great support lined up first.
    Before my surgery, I had all my supplies ready for after and I knew exactly WHAT I would be eating (or drinking, as the case was) and WHEN. I had little medicine cups to "eat" out of, baby plates, spoons, forks (though I don't think the utensils are really necessary--the small plate does help though.)
    Just be prepared and if you have a question, ask. I believe the only dumb question is the one that isn't asked.
    Good luck and I hope everything goes great for you all thru the process!
    Oh by the way, I'm Ann and I had gastric bypass on 9/27/12. I've had virtually no problems at all--I have been very lucky. It took a year of denials to get it done, so I had a lot of time to prepare and deal with the food issues. Once again, good luck!
  • MrsGriffin0729
    MrsGriffin0729 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hi. I had the sleeve done on 828/13. Feel free to add me and ask any questions!
  • janisbirch
    janisbirch Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hello and I welcome you to our group! You've just made a positive step in your weight loss journey by being with My Fitness Pal, and coming into our group. BRAVO.

I'm stressed for time tonight, but I totally agree with all the advice Annwyatt69 has given you. I researched all my options for over a year before I had the Gastric Sleeve done at the end of July. Know your options always.

The only advice I can give is to only tell people you absolutely know who will support you with your decision! You don't need any negative energy nor negative comments feeding your decision.

Good luck to you!!
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    I agree with these women that you have to be comforable with your doctor and have support. MFP has been a great support for me. I had the lap band done Nov 21, 2012 and as of this week I have lost 124 pounds. I still have 75 I want to lose. But I know I could never of done it without the surgery. One thing you have to know is the surgery is only a tool and you have to make life style changes. But in the end it is more then worth it. Good Luck and anything I can do let me know. Vicki
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options

The only advice I can give is to only tell people you absolutely know who will support you with your decision! You don't need any negative energy nor negative comments feeding your decision.

This, totally. It's funny how when you start telling people that you are considering surgery, they all become medical experts and feel that they should be telling you what you should be doing. I didn't tell a lot of people, some people in my family didn't even know till I got my surgery date.

I am 4 weeks post sleeve surgery today, and personally, I think changing my eating and exercise habits long before surgery really helped me prepare mentally and physically for this. Also, what Ann said - I made sure I had everything I needed before hand. Preparing your environment is important!
  • gramsoffive
    Options
    I agree with all of the above. I, too, had many tell me that horrors of having the surgery. I finally decided to put them out of my mind and keep only those who supported me in the forefront!!

I am now just a bit over 2 weeks post RNY. Glad that I had it done! All the prep work to get ready for surgery did help as well as having the home ready with what was needed post-op. That was very helpful.

Good luck with your decision and you have come to the right place for support & encouragement.
  • VaingloriousVictoria
    Options
    The sleeve has been great for me. Feel free to message me with questions!
  • stroynaya
    stroynaya Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Risking sounding like a broken record, but I agree with what everyone else before me has said. I am ten weeks post surgery. Feel free to friend/message me with questions.
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Take a good look at the naysayers, some may be well meaning but misinformed while others are scared you will get fit while they are not. We hear these stories so frequently in group and quite often those same neighsayers will turn into sabatogers. Surround yourself with positive people who support your efforts but who will be honest, push the others away.
  • Bubirn
    Bubirn Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hi, just felt the need to share.
    I'm a nurse, actually a NP. Been a nurse for 23 years. I have been overweight my whole life and have tried many diet plans.

3 years ago a seriously started on the WLS journey and was discourage by many and finally talked out of it by my best friend who is a nurse. 3 years later and a lot of researching and soul searching I've had a gastric sleeve on 10/30/13. This time I chose to tell my family and those friends and colleagues I could depend on supporting me. The lack of negative energy and thoughts prior to surgery were an amazing gift.

I am I week post op I lost 14.5 lbs and feels great. I list 21 lbs prior to surgery and it took 5 months to lose it. I needed this tool to jump start me and my dieting.

You need to do your research, find the best surgery for you and the right surgeon for you. Is there risks to surgery absolutely but they were risks I was willing to take and mitigate as much as possible.

I hope this helps you in the thought that this is a personal choice that you need to be make for yourself.
    Gerri