What is your fastest Paleo meal?

Options
kkerri
kkerri Posts: 276 Member
I am having issues w/my schedule. That, plus two very ill relatives have left me in need of fast meals. I normally cook, but I just don't have lots of time. Last night I left the house at 8:30 a.m., got home at 7:00, headed to the hospital immediately and didn't get home until after 9:00. Unfortunately, most of my days are like this, which means I am eating almost every meal on the run lately. Any ideas appreciated. I feel like I must be missing something. I am going to make a lot of shredded chicken in the crockpot for use on salads, but need some more ideas - especially for fast meals.

Replies

• TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Leftovers.
  • craudi
    craudi Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Have things like hard-boiled eggs, cooked ground beef (or shredded chicken is a great idea too) around for grab and go!
  • kkerri
    Options
    Maybe I need to triple my meals - I usually have enough leftovers for one lunch, but not when I am not home for 3 meals, two-three times a week.

I don't big batch cook, but maybe I need to do that on Sundays. I have a hard time eating leftover meat, too, so that's why I have avoided cooking meat for days in advance. I normally cannot eat it, but I guess I need to just get over that.
  • aliciap412
    aliciap412 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    http://nomnompaleo.com/post/4360193712/emergency-protein-a-k-a-garbage-stir-fry

^ this. on nights that we don't want to cut up veggies, we've saved even more time by getting a frozen veggie assortment at trader joe's (harvest hodgepodge) to throw in with it. it makes a lot so for two people we're usually really full and have leftovers. it'd probably feed 4.

I can finish preparing and cooking this from start to finish in about 12 minutes. it is great.
  • kkerri
    Options
    That looks good - maybe I will make that tonight ;-)

I think I should make and freeze a couple fritatas during the week (I am guessing those would freeze well?). I definitely need to prepare better for sure.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I usually have tons of leftovers from my weekly cook up. But for fast meals try: steak and salad. I pan fry the steak and since I like it raw it takes 5 minutes max. The salad also takes 5 minutes. Omelets are fast-no they don't have to be just for breakfast. Or pork chops in the oven, 30 minutes and you can do something else while they are cooking. Meat and veggie stir fries take about 15 minutes.

I have weeks where I don't do a cook up and I still manage just fine. It's a choice.

PS. Even my quick meals are made with huge portions. Anything I make will usually feed us for 4 to 6 meals. I never buy small packs of meat, always family packs and there are only 2 of us.
  • kkerri
    Options
    I always buy small packs, so that is probably where I am going wrong. I did chicken in the oven, but only did 3 breasts, so that was one meal plus lunch. I need to double or triple clearly.
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Monthly and weekly food prep ahead of time is the only solution. Freezer is your best friend! I got mine this spring, and without it I would be 80/20 the most and I am like 98% paleo right now for months. It seriously saves my sanity constantly. When I cook soups and stews, I always cook 3 times the needed amount, we eat one , have one for next day and freeze the 3rd one. I bought a half pig and I am getting a half cow, so I do not need to go to the stores for meat. I go to costco once a month to get nonperishabes like nuts, coconut oil, chia seed etc. I also get there my frozen fruits and veggies and chicken. Plus I buy my eggs , like 8-10 dozens at the time and a block of cheese. I do not do weekly grocery shopping anymore. I signed up to a produce delivery service, they deliver $50-60 worth of fresh organic veggies and fruits to my door once a week. I can customize it if I want to, but if I don't they just bring whatever is in season.

I also make an intensive once a month prep day, usually on my costco shopping day. This includes baking coconut breads,almond flour muffins, banana breads, cookies for my family , and now I make larabars. I freeze the baked good in small batches enough for 2-3 days. My monthly prep also includes making sauces like zesty basil tomato sauce, paleo pesto sauce, or any kinds of veggie dipping sauce. I make tons of those pour it into muffin tin freeze it, and bag it once they are frozen. I also cook rice(for my family) and bake 2-3 spagethi squash on these monthly prepday and freeze in smaller bags. I also cut up an insane amount of onion like 10 lb bag , and pan fried it, and keep in the fridge. It last for weeks, and I virtually pour it on everything for flavor. Check out a few once a month cooking websites for ideas.

For me the monday, tuesday, wendesday is the busiest evening, so I make sure I have quick meal for those days. I make a huge slightly seasoned roast every Sunday, like 5 lb size to get me through those days. One days I just toss the cut up roast on salad, one day I make "pasta" by pulling out a bag of spaghetti squash and a couple of frozen sauce and I toss the cut up meat from the leftover roast and voila instant home made meal. The third day, I make pizza or quesadilla with the leftover roast using coconut flatbread for pizza crust from the my freezer, or sometimes store bought rice tortilla. I am dealing nonpaleo family members and this is their favourite meal of the week. The other 4 days I usually have more time to cook, but I generally use my oven a lot, because I do not need to stand there and can play with my kids while it is cooking.
  • kkerri
    Options
    Thank you! I appreciate your response - I am doing a lot wrong. I am trying to cook for 4 people pretty much every day, plus finagle my meals and I really need to re-vamp how I do things. I also think I need to plan out and put handy the meals that I know I can leftovers out of plan them. It looks like I am going astray by not cooking big enough and not planning smartly. I am going to spend this weekend trying to map some of this out.

I totally agree it's a choice, but it's easier to make the right one prepared. Last night my husband made something for the kids (who knows what b/c I wasn't home) and I ate string cheese and drank a latte. That was poor preparation on my part for sure.

I have lots of fresh and frozen meat, but am finding that it's sitting in the fridge and freezer and not getting cooked at 9:00 p.m.

When I actually get home at a normal time, I can cook, but I need to prepare better for the nights when I am late.

Cooking onions in advance is a great idea.
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Monthly and weekly food prep ahead of time is the only solution.

Wonderful ideas in this post. Thanks for taking the time to type it all out. I hadn't thought of doing 10 lb of onions ahead of time -- and they keep in the fridge?

I just passed up a 10 lb bag of onions at Costco because I never thought I could use them before they started to go soft.
  • redheadmommy
    Options
    I just passed up a 10 lb bag of onions at Costco because I never thought I could use them before they started to go soft.
    Fat is a great preservative and I fry the onions in a lot of fat, like 1 lb butter . This would freak out everyday folks, but paleo lifestyle embrace fat ;) I used this fried onion paste in everything like egg frittatas, soups, stews or just rub onto roasts as a seasoning, even use as a base for any fried veggie side dish.
    If you worry about going bad before using it up, after frying divine into half and put half into the fridge and the other half into the freezer.
    Do not forget to label , which is the most important thing in order to use your freezer efficiently.
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I don't usually have leftovers since we eat those at lunch. I usually do one of these:

- Get a full roasted chicken and a boxed salad
    - Bacon and eggs.
    - Get a shawarma (lebanese pita wrap) and empty the contents on a plate.

I really should look at prepping a little more though since it seems that we are often scrambling last minute with these and when we do, usually we have to scramble around again for lunch the next day since there are no leftovers.
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I don't usually have leftovers since we eat those at lunch. I usually do one of these:

- Get a full roasted chicken and a boxed salad
    - Bacon and eggs.
    - Get a shawarma (lebanese pita wrap) and empty the contents on a plate.

I really should look at prepping a little more though since it seems that we are often scrambling last minute with these and when we do, usually we have to scramble around again for lunch the next day since there are no leftovers.

Is that what a shawarma is? I've wondered, ever since seeing The Avengers.
  • JeffinRaleigh
    Options
    Excellent feedback thus far! Planning ahead & freezing some portions is the way to go.

Do you have a crock pot? There are a ton of Paleo-friendly crock pot recipes that are easy in terms of prep time. And of course, the food cooks while you are away from the house, which is even better. :)
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Fruit. Literally just grab and eat.

Second would probably potatoes microwaved and topped with cottage cheese.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    fastest meal, eggs & bacon...or some kind of protein on top of a salad
  • pixlamarque
    pixlamarque Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I recently bought a cookbook called Make Ahead Paleo and it has tons of stuff that you can prep ahead, freeze in bags, and then cook in the crockpot. The non-crock pot meals are quick as well. So far everything I have made has been good. There are also sections for items that travel well, cooking on trips, and once section called "week in a day" so you have all your meals for the week ready to go. I hate to sound like an advertisement, but this book really works with how our household runs. I work a lot on call and when I am gone my husband gets home later and has a hungry toddler to feed, so quick and pre-prepped is the name of the game. I would love to do it a month ahead like the earlier post, but we don't have a deep freeze and won't get one until our house finally sells, so this is working for now.
  • JeffinRaleigh
    Options
    I recently bought a cookbook called Make Ahead Paleo and it has tons of stuff that you can prep ahead, freeze in bags, and then cook in the crockpot. The non-crock pot meals are quick as well. So far everything I have made has been good. There are also sections for items that travel well, cooking on trips, and once section called "week in a day" so you have all your meals for the week ready to go. I hate to sound like an advertisement, but this book really works with how our household runs. I work a lot on call and when I am gone my husband gets home later and has a hungry toddler to feed, so quick and pre-prepped is the name of the game. I would love to do it a month ahead like the earlier post, but we don't have a deep freeze and won't get one until our house finally sells, so this is working for now.

Thank you! I just bought this on Amazon and downloaded it to my iPad. Looks great!
  • redheadmommy
    Options
    I recently bought a cookbook called Make Ahead Paleo and it has tons of stuff that you can prep ahead, freeze in bags, and then cook in the crockpot. T
    This recipe book sounds so helpful. I usually borrow paleo recipebook from the library, and they are hit and miss, but my library do not have this one. I may actually end up buying this one.

I follow the make ahead paleo pinterest board , which also very good , have even make a head and freez whole 30 recipe list as well.
  • mmipanda
    mmipanda Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I've been making ham wraps quite a bit lately for breakfast or lunch.

We get some pretty thick-sliced ham, pile on a load of salad stuff, and roll it up like a normal wrap. Meat wrap! I prefer it to lettuce ones just because its not as wet.. with lettuce wraps I tend to have a puddle of water on my plate by the end.