Thinking of leaving MFP ?

Options
I really like the OA program and I have an OA food plan set up by a registered dietitian with food exchanges. Lately I feel like I am looking at the calories on MFP and starting to think about calories ( starting to feel like a diet) than the steps and the program. I would like to connect with OA members and get advice on this topic. I do not abstain from sugar and flour and have a very liberal plan so if that bothers anyone I just want to be upfront about it. I have lost 9 pounds since coming to OA about 2 months ago and love the program. Would love to connect with other program people so please feel free to send me an invite or a message.

Replies

• Laurel0724
    Laurel0724 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Good morning, Polly!

I'm in OA and have used MFP on and off. How I use it though, is different than some. I use it to track my weight and measurements, the community, and only OCCASIONALLY the Food Diary. I really like the IDEA of the Food Plan, but sometimes it makes me a little crazy. My sponsor suggested that it might not be that helpful...since it is doing the opposite of what is intended. Plus I eat pretty much the same food every day (dietician's plan) and have RELEASED 21.5 since June,

I do not eat white flour and sugar - that was has made the difference in my program this time around. HOWEVER, having said that, I believe in the program and have seen that some are able to eat sugar and white flour, without it leading to a binge. I spent years trying to be "that person" who could eat anything, but alas. It wasn't meant to be. I've also given up caffeine (Dr.'s orders - grrr) and all sweeteners (including Diet Coke?!) I must say I sleep at night now, and that is nice, but giving up sweeteners is tough. So, my food plan has evolved over the years.

I also have a VERY STRICT sponsor, who includes has "suggested" that having V8 juice without a meal is "outside the boundaries of a 3-0-1 abstinence. I'm desperately trying to follow her lead, so I'm willing to try. (V8 juice had always been my "go to" when I got really hungry.) Her comment was, "Drink two big glasses of water, pray, and feel the feelings. I promise it will subside. If it doesn't, that is the time to make a phone call."

I'm not really good and don't know how to invite people or send them a message. (I'll try.) You're welcome to do the same with me, though I'm not on every day.

Enjoy your day!

Laurel :)
  • PattiUnleashed
    PattiUnleashed Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I really like the OA program and I have an OA food plan set up by a registered dietitian with food exchanges. Lately I feel like I am looking at the calories on MFP and starting to think about calories ( starting to feel like a diet) than the steps and the program. I would like to connect with OA members and get advice on this topic. I do not abstain from sugar and flour and have a very liberal plan so if that bothers anyone I just want to be upfront about it. I have lost 9 pounds since coming to OA about 2 months ago and love the program. Would love to connect with other program people so please feel free to send me an invite or a message.

Hello :flowerforyou:
    I think different things work for different people. For me food exchanges would probably be more like a diet than entering my food on MFP. What I like about MFP is I can enter the food and it counts for me, so it gets it out of my head. Like I said, we are all different. I would do what works for you. :) I have a sponsor and I've never asked her her food plan. Because, I look at it as the food plan that works for me, is the one where I don't overeat/binge. :wink: :bigsmile: I tried for years to be the person who could moderate sugar/sweets, over, and over, and over again it led me to insanity. So for now that isn't part of my food plan. I am not "bothered" by your food plan, it is yours. :happy: Congratulations on losing 9 pounds, that's just great! If you want to add me, send an invite etc. The more the merrier I say.
    Well off to bed I go. :yawn: take care.

Patti
  • shezzzzz
    shezzzzz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    It's all a matter of finding what works for you. You can stay on MFP without using the food tracker. When I first started, I was only looking for a way of tracking my activity, so didn't log food for a long time.

As for my food addiction, once I accepted what my triggers are, it made life a lot easier. I track to keep myself accountable to myself (I don't have a sponsor and have not found a meeting in my area that I feel comfortable in, but have been to enough meetings to understand the principles).

I do track my calories, but more importantly to me, I monitor my carb, protein and fiber intake.

Best of luck in your journey to discover what is best for you.!!
  • julesoa
    julesoa Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I love this thread and all the answers so far have meant something to me, so thank you. I have had moments when I have stepped back from MFP for a few days or I have recorded my food in the notes section rather than added up the calories. That has been when my disease has been gettting me into diet head mode and I knew I needed to fcous myself back on the steps and just having my food plan. But overall I like the fact that MFP helps me to know what sensible healthy portion sizes are and on my own I struggle with that.
    I don't include sugar in my food because it is a massive trigger for me. I have used and absued it too many times and know it is absolutely something I can't eat. And I am grateful to not have the craving when I don't eat it. But your food plan is up to you and your Higher Power to work out. I have to say I find having a sponsor is one of the great gifts of OA :) Hugs to you all :flowerforyou:
  • jensweighingin
    jensweighingin Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I hear you, I've stopped logging because it feels like a "diet" when I do. I think OA is great because it gives us tools for recovery. We're all not the same and we don't have the same triggers. For a while I tried to tell myself that carbs were not my trigger and a life without pizza wasn't a life. I also realize that it was my addict's brain telling me that I "could" have bread because I can't. It causes binges. I've released 20 lbs since I've "gotten" the message and on vacation I decided to tempt myself and I had 5 pieces of bread before I saw what I was doing to myself. Bread is not evil, it's just a trigger food and I can't have it. But releasing 20 lbs and the weight that has been on my chest has helped immensely. So it's your program and your abstience. Do what you need to do to keep it that way! FR sent!

Jen
  • Strong_Heart
    Strong_Heart Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    "Sweets" are an issue for me (i.e., pastries, candy, etc.)
    "Fat" is a problem for me also (i.e., fried foods, cheese, chips, etc.)
    These kinds of foods will trigger me to binge, and it is very hard for me to get my eating back under control. :cry:
    But I find it hard to resist these very same foods :brokenheart:

I am looking for some weight loss buddies - will you join me?
  • Terri_Wickwire
    Terri_Wickwire Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Been in and out of MFP, and pretty consistent with one f2f meeting a week. When I'm not logging, I'm usually in the food and don't want accountability with myself cause then I can beat myself with a 2x4. It's not about what anyone else thinks of my food plan, although my diary is accessible to MFP friends.

I work towards being gluten-free, vegetarian/vegan, and find that substituting whole grain, non-wheat flours don't trigger me the same way refined white flour does; also trying substitutions for white sugar (some work, some don't). Logging doesn't turn into a diet for me -- it helps keep me honest with myself and on track so I can be aware of what works for my body and allows me a way to see what might be over-indulgence. I'm connected to my iPhone so not tracking is always a choice -- and usually that means I'm in the nutz range.
    :flowerforyou:
  • sheltony
    sheltony Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm also in OA. and use MFP as an accountability tool to keep myself honest. When I don't log, I'm more likely to become unaware of what I consume. It's way too easy to lie to myself about the amount or value of food consumed. For me, it's important to live in honesty and be aware of the ways I manipulate. Food is the most insidious and hardest for me to see. My HP is in this process, working to keep me sane by understanding the ways I can eat more healthy and be more sane with my food decisions. It's not about a "diet" for me, but about seeing my behavior and understanding how it impacts my health mentally and physically. We make choices about what goes into our lives, this is one I make to learn about nutrition and remain in a positive place with food choices. For me, it's part of the "writing" tool.