unsexy topic - anonymity and MFP OA group

Options
OAEE
OAEE Posts: 10 Member
Hi,
I am 8 years in OA but day 2 in MFP. I am wondering about how people think about being anonymous at the level of press, radio and other (social) media and using this group works. I have set all the MFP settings I can find to limit it to friends I make through MFP and not make it specific to me so I can feel comfortable sharing here. I was SO excited to find this group. I just wondered if anyone else had thought of this and how it works.

I am interested in being friends with any OAers and look forward to figuring out how to use MFP to help me lose 10 lbs now through exercise. My food plan is pretty clean and healthy at this point so don't think any weight loss is going to come from there.

thanks.

Replies

• bethannbest
    Options
    http://www.na.org/admin/include/spaw2/uploads/pdf/servicemat/Dec2011_Social_media.pdf

This link has another twelve step groups approach to social media. I don't know if OA has anything similiar. Maybe this might help you.

I like connecting with like minded people on social media even though it probably violates the traditions.
  • OAEE
    OAEE Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    thanks, I agree about it being really helpful. I owe way too much to the 12 and 12 to violate them and I think this group does. So very regretfully I am going to leave it but wish you all well.
  • suz155
    suz155 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    This isn't an OA meeting. It's a place where people that happen to believe that the 12 steps work gather and talk. It supplements f2f OA meetings. My thoughts anyway. Take what you like and leave the rest.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I think its ok to share here.

My user name certainly isnt my real name so that is about as anonymous as anybody could get.

My impression is that no one of us here is speaking for OA itself, we re only sharing our struggles and experiences

with the others who also have joined because they are OA too!

I dont think of social sites as Press and Publicity. But,

perhaps a blog or personal web page or site could be Publicity especially if a person were to

expose themselves and sort of try to become a spokesperson for OA in that mode, then

it would be a violation of the principles of the traditions of anonymity.

Please, others, jump in to this discussion! There could be many other opinions on this.
  • kamuas
    kamuas Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I take the the anonymity in regards to press, radio, and other media as meaning promoting OA, publicly speaking out about OA beliefs, meetings, things mentioned in meetings, people, etc. I think an anonymous group here is no different than attending an online OA meeting. This place is for people who are members, and I doubt that anyone who isn't in OA is going to hang around just to spy on what we are all saying. This is just another support place, where we can reach out to other OA members across the world just as we would through email or telephone. I don't think it's violating anything.
  • julesoa
    julesoa Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I don't use a photo of myself here because I feel that would violate the tradition of anonymity. I have friends from my 'outside' life here who know who I am but they would also know me either in OA or know that I am in OA. I use MFP to help me to stick to my food plan and stay abstinent. I don't consider any discussions here an OA meeting but it is good to hear from other OA fellows and to be able to support each other.
  • Terri_Wickwire
    Terri_Wickwire Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    For me, the group is a meeting online, a way I can connect and keep my sanity. All is "suggested" and we each find our own way in the social media world. On a social media site, I've posted different literature, but never talked about OA. If someone takes the time to look at what books I like, they can figure it out and connect with me; there is also a group on there that I belong to for OA. If someone is really looking for an OA connection and take the time to sleuth me out, then Step 12 is: "Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these Steps, we tried to carry this message to compulsive overeaters and to practice these principles in all our affairs."

And Tradition 4: "Each group should be autonomous except in matters affecting other groups or OA as a whole."

Being here -- for me -- is Service. To myself and the group.

:flowerforyou:
  • MyFoodGod
    MyFoodGod Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I think the Internet has evolved to something that the OA founders could not have predicted.

No group can control what others are going to do/say/etc.

I'm sure these rules are violated outside of meetings all the time by people who do not post their OA experiences or thoughts online. Human nature being what it is.

I think everyone on here has to decide for themselves how anonymous or public they want to be.

There is no OA police that's going to strike anyone down.