shredded cheese

Options
I read somewhere on another sight a few days ago that shredded cheese is bad for you because of the cornstarch.... the stuff added to keep the cheese from sticking together or clumping.

I have several bags of shredded cheese in my refrigerator right now and I was thinking they were ok because they each have 1 carb or less per serving. But this lady said they have hidden carbs because of the cornstarch, so this has left me wondering especially since I am barely starting week 2.

Replies

• kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure that the carb count is including the small amount of anti-clumping agent that is used.

That said - the small amount also won't be the difference between being successful or being unsuccessful on keto.

Is it better to have shredded cheese without it? Sure.
    Are you going to find it without it? No.
    Can you shred some by hand instead? Absolutely.

For me though, if it's a pain to live this way, I probably won't stick with it. And shredding my own cheese, fits into the "pain" category.

But that's just me. You can probably save money and cut a small amount of carbs shredding by hand.
  • luvmydoggies
    luvmydoggies Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    When I bought the cheese I looked at the carb count/fiber/sugar... not the "extra" ingredients because it was REAL cheese. I'm only averaging about 12-15 net carbs a day plus I don't eat a lot of cheese daily anyway so I guess I shouldn't worry too much unless my daily carbs were higher. But just in case in the future after I finish the shredded cheese I already have (don't want to waste it) I will shred my own.
  • Chris_B62
    Chris_B62 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have several bags of shredded cheese in my refrigerator right now.....and I was thinking they were ok.....has left me wondering especially since I am barely starting week 2.
    If you will send them to me, I will happily dispose of them for you :bigsmile:
  • Chris_B62
    Chris_B62 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I eat quite a bit of shredded cheese and cream cheese. I began Keto in October and have encountered no "cheesy" issues. My diary is open to all if you would like to take a peak. Also open to new friends to share with...
  • gmansmom2
    gmansmom2 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I have been eating shredded cheese since day one and never had any issues. I buy it in 4 pound bags!! I would not worry unless you notice that it is stalling you.
  • luvmydoggies
    luvmydoggies Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your input.....
    I don't have any problems eating it. But then again I am just starting my 2nd week so I have lost a lot of water weight the past week. I lost 8 lbs first week so I will continue to eat it. I was just wondering because I read about it somewhere but I guess the person that posted must have had issues eating the bagged shredded cheese. Everyone is different. Sometimes its just easier to use when your in a hurry making a meal just pull out the bag and sprinkle it on
  • Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Corn starch in shredded cheese? I never have heard or seen that here in Sweden, it does clutter a bit yes, but easily to loosen again. If you feel like it could be a problem maybe you could just buy a whole cheese and shred it yourself? Doesn't take so much effort.
  • sb4480
    sb4480 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    The easiest thing for you to do (outside of just shredding it yourself) is to look at the FAQs on the manufacturer's website, or send them an email asking for clarification. Some people will have issues with shredded cheese because there's an underlying sensitivity to the anti-clumping agent they use (yes, people can be systemically sensitive to corn, so sad). That will get to the bottom of the question. I believe that the total carb count listed on the bag should include the carbs from the ACA, but I can't say for sure.