Another question....

Options
Ok - I have another question. I have been on LCHF for a week, I realize I may seem impatient, but my weight has actually gone up 0.1 lbs. Can anyone tell me when I should start noticing weight loss? The fact that my weight has gone up 0.1 makes me worried that I am doing something wrong.

Thanks!

Replies

• LexieDouglas92
    LexieDouglas92 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I find this really strange - most people I know who do this diet lose a lot in the first week, even if it is just water retention.. baffling!

Good luck for next week though!!!
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Open up your diary.

What were you following before?

What are your macros during the past week?
  • ChiTownGirl824
    ChiTownGirl824 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Prior to starting LCHF I was eating low fat/low carb for about 2 weeks. That was not doing anything.

Also, when someone asks "what are your macros" what does that mean? I realize that might sound ridiculous, but do you mean the number of grams of carbs/protein/fat I can have? Because that calculator gave me the numbers 20g of carbs, 85g of protein (which is REALLY hard - I'm having 3 oz of meat with some butter for meals), 130g fat.

Essentially I feel like I'm not eating very much at all to stay at 85g of protein, but I have been very strictly following the diet. I weighed myself a few days later and I was down 3.0 lbs, so maybe I jumped the gun.

But does anyone have any suggestions for low protein foods?
  • sb4480
    sb4480 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Some people still need to count calories while doing LCHF. Just something to consider. It could also be that there are hidden carbs in what you're eating. Have you tried testing with keto strips to see if you're acutally in ketosis?

Depending on the time of the month and how much sodium you're eating it could also just be water retention. Make sure you're drinking enough water and stay within your sodium limit.
  • ChiTownGirl824
    Options
    You know - I looked back at my diary and I have been going over my calorie goal and sodium limit - oops. I am actually relieved that this may be the issue because I weighed myself this morning and I am 3 lbs heavier than my last weigh-in which puts me back where I started.

Also, last week I bought some ketosis strips and they have shown that I am in ketosis.

I will cut down the sodium and be more careful with my calories and cross my fingers for next week although I'd be lying if I said I wasn't getting a little discouraged.

Regarding staying hydrated, I carry a nalgene around with me at school and work and I drink three of them a day which is 96oz so I think I am ok there.
  • kiramaniac
    Options
    Your diary is closed - we can't see what you are eating, so giving feedback is challenging.
  • ChiTownGirl824
    Options
    Oops! I didn't realize - its open now
  • kiramaniac
    Options
    For the coffeemate creamers, just switch over to heavy cream. Better source of fat.

The Sugarless Delite may be screwing you up. It's full of malitol. Malitol is a sugar alcohol that still has a glycemic index of 60. It does have an insulin response. It will give you digestive issues. Many people who choose to eat products with malitol will still count half the carbs (instead of fully subtracting them for Net Carbs). A much better sugar alcohol is Erythritol, which has a glycemic index of zero. Lily's Chocolate uses a blend of erythritol and stevia and is a great alternative if you still want to indulge once in a while.

Same on the La Nouba Marshmallows - full of malitol.

You have got to be having an upset stomach with all that malitol! Yikes. That stuff is evil. If you need a treat, whip up some heavy cream and add a little cocoa and sweetener. Or make a LC cheesecake. Coconut Custard is another one that has been posted here (use the search function). Just stay away from the malitol.
  • ChiTownGirl824
    Options
    Ok! I will try that - thank you!!
  • sb4480
    sb4480 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Yea, I see the Malitol and the various creamers as potentially being the culprit. Try heavy cream with a dash of real vanilla extract or sugar free coffee syrup (make sure it doesn't have sugar alcohols in it).