What is your fastest Paleo meal?

Options
2»

Replies

• kristinL16
    kristinL16 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    These are great ideas! I've been reading about paleo/whole 30 and would like to give it a try but am really struggling with making good choices due to my work environment. I am typically gone from morning until late in the evening and have to eat in my car. I do not know what to bring with me for lunch and dinner. Some days I have leftovers for one meal, but if I have worked late I don't cook and therefore don't have leftovers for the next day. On days when I am home in time for dinner, we are rushed and need quick meals. I like the idea of freezer meals and making big batches on the weekends. Any other resources (websites, books, etc) to help with this are much appreciated!
  • pixlamarque
    pixlamarque Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I recently bought a cookbook called Make Ahead Paleo and it has tons of stuff that you can prep ahead, freeze in bags, and then cook in the crockpot. The non-crock pot meals are quick as well. So far everything I have made has been good. There are also sections for items that travel well, cooking on trips, and once section called "week in a day" so you have all your meals for the week ready to go. I hate to sound like an advertisement, but this book really works with how our household runs. I work a lot on call and when I am gone my husband gets home later and has a hungry toddler to feed, so quick and pre-prepped is the name of the game. I would love to do it a month ahead like the earlier post, but we don't have a deep freeze and won't get one until our house finally sells, so this is working for now.

Thank you! I just bought this on Amazon and downloaded it to my iPad. Looks great!

I just made the Paleo English Muffins (almond flour version) and Sloppy Joe's last night. It was great and I didn't even have to double the seasonings like on most recipes. The Chili Lime Pork Medallions were awesome (we used pork chops, adjusted cooking time). I made the Cherry Pistachio Scones to keep in the freezer for when I want something baked (subbed apricots because I had them on hand). They are quite hearty. Not something I'd eat every day, but good for now and then. Making the Hunter's Chicken tomorrow and I can't wait to make the Ribeye Nuggets with Jalapeno Pesto.
    This recipe book sounds so helpful. I usually borrow paleo recipebook from the library, and they are hit and miss, but my library do not have this one. I may actually end up buying this one.

I follow the make ahead paleo pinterest board , which also very good , have even make a head and freez whole 30 recipe list as well.

I did not know there was a make ahead paleo board, I'm going to look it up! I have lots of Paleo/Paleo-ish recipes on my Pinterest, but always looking for more. My favorite recipe off Pinterest so far has been these short ribs: http://www.bigbearswife.com/2013/04/slow-cooker-braised-short-ribs.html

I poured off the sauce into a saucepan and reduced it on the stove. My husband nearly ate the whole meal himself. Served on spaghetti squash.
  • pixlamarque
    pixlamarque Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    These are great ideas! I've been reading about paleo/whole 30 and would like to give it a try but am really struggling with making good choices due to my work environment. I am typically gone from morning until late in the evening and have to eat in my car. I do not know what to bring with me for lunch and dinner. Some days I have leftovers for one meal, but if I have worked late I don't cook and therefore don't have leftovers for the next day. On days when I am home in time for dinner, we are rushed and need quick meals. I like the idea of freezer meals and making big batches on the weekends. Any other resources (websites, books, etc) to help with this are much appreciated!

I work in transplant and I spend my working life in a cab/ambulance/tiny tin can airplane. I am usually with another team member and we eat out of way too many drive through's. I keep apples and small containers of almond butter (weighed at home) with disposable knives in my backpack. Dried fruit, nuts and jerky keep pretty well. I try to make up a decent sized container of chicken (or tuna if I don't care about offending anyone) salad with lots of veggies/apples/nuts in it and I carry it in an insulated bag with a blue ice. If I'm not in the back of a cab I can bring along lettuce leaves and make a wrap, in the back of a cab I can eat out of the container with a fork. I try never to eat in the back of an ambulance, though. I try to have some standards..... The trick is to find things you don't mind eating cold/room temp, which is pretty limiting for me.
  • degan2011
    degan2011 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this was mentioned but... Slowcooker! :) You can get a small one if you don't like too many left overs. prep the items ahead, but cook them the morning of. :)

Also, I make a HUGE bowl (if anyone is familiar with Tupperware mega bowl?) full of precut veggies all mixed up:
    about 4 carrots
    1/2-1 cabbage
    2 bell peppers (any color)
    1-2 onions
    celery

sometimes I will swap out carrots or peppers for zucchini.

This stays in my fridge and I can add it to broth for a quick soup, stir fry it fast with some meat (which you can have precut and marinated in your fridge, will last a while in marinade) I am big on veggies, so this works for me.

Hope that helps. :)
  • LisaGNV
    LisaGNV Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Every single weekend I make the following to keep in the fridge to have for breakfast, lunch, dinner, whatever throughout the week. We're a family of four BIG eaters so none of this ever goes to waste.

3-4 lb pork roast - crock pot cooked w/ two onions, three tri-color bell peppers, salt & pepper
    3-4 lb beef roast - cooked the same way as the pork
    1 doz. eggs hardboiled
    big batch of paleo ranch dressing
    15 lbs of boneless/skinless chicken breasts, grilled (this I do in three batches of 5 lbs ea throughout the week).
    8-10 baked sweet potatoes
    four heads broccoli chopped
    2-3 lbs ground pork browned w/ sausage seasonings used in breakfast egg scramble
    6 tri-color bell peppers & 2 onions - small diced & used in breakfast egg scramble
    1 lb ghee
    16 oz.fresh almond butter
    16 oz fresh coconut butter

Its sounds like A LOT of work - but I've done it so many times it's almost robotic now and I can get it all done with less than 2 hours prep work.

Every morning as we're making breakfast, we pull out what we want to eat for lunch that day, pack our coolers to take to work/school & we're done! Dinner is almost always a little bit of something from the above list & a fresh veggie side added.