Have you tried to 'take a break' from paleo?

Options
mmipanda
mmipanda Posts: 351 Member
About a week ago I decided to take a break. Just until we've moved into our house. We're currently sharing a kitchen with my partner's family and its a huge pain in the bum.

So we agreed that it would be easier to just reintroduce food that makes life simpler. Bread, cereal, processed stuff.

Its taken pretty much no time at all for my weird reflux issue to resurface. I feel like I can't catch my breath properly, I constantly need to yawn. My partner plays a lot of squash and this past week he's been getting shaky and needs jelly beans or some form of sugar to feel better. And we both feel lethargic and bloaty.

SO. we're getting back on the paleo track. I guess its easy to get used to feeling great on paleo, and forgetting that you don't feel that way on a normal SAD diet.

Has anyone else tried this? What happened for you?

Replies

• aliciap412
    aliciap412 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I took a full year break from paleo after my first try with it because I got overwhelmed with all of the cooking, dishes, etc. I felt like **** for that entire year. now I know that I'll never abandon paleo eating again. my motivation to stick with it and never stray was only made stronger from that year off of it.
  • rkasper22
    rkasper22 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    i get like this sometimes. but i feel so just blah that i miss feeling awesome. i'm not one of those people who have instant side effects, i just wake up one day and realize i don't like how i feel.

welcome back!
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I tried taking a break from low carb eating, not necessarily paleo (because I'd never heard of it), and ended up with a big fat gallstone. I kept eating high fat but added (pizza) carbs back in, which are a recipe for disaster apparently. If you raise your carbs, you must lower your fat, so I learned the hard way.
  • GrokRockStarWECHANGED
    Options
    I took a long break and managed to gain an additional 25lbs!! I've been on and off lately, but decided I'll never reach my health goals this way.
  • kkerri
    kkerri Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I haven't done it long enough to take a break, but have eaten some things and am finding that I do feel worse when I eat grains/carbs. I also find that I will reach for something, take a bite, and then throw it out. I think my preferences are definitely changing.
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I am struggling to find a happy medium I can live with and afford. It is hard at times.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I was extremely sick and fat before I became ketogenic Primal/Paleo. My whole life had been full of aches, pains, illness, battling fat, depression, and bingeing. This lifestyle cured EVERYTHING. I can't comprehend for a minute consciously choosing to go back to what i was eating before because I know what the result would be. Additionally, I want the best health for my child. I don't miss bread, cereals, crackers, pasta etc at all. I will have popcorn, chips, wine, etc here and there but I will never take an extended "break" from being happy and healthy.

Edit: just under a year ago I went on a holiday to Florida and a cruise. I was trying to eat Primal, but I think the food on the cruise was full of sugar and wheat (couldn't see the wheat on what i ate but I think everything was dredged in it). In 3 weeks, even with trying to avoid wheat, I gained 7 pounds and was right back to being extremely sick and lethargic. It took about 5 weeks to recover. Last summer I took a 5 week vacation. I enjoyed myself but avoided wheat, sweetened drinks, and was careful with the treats (ice cream, potatoes etc). I gained only 2 pounds. At the end of the last week I was starting to lose it, but I went home just in time. I went home and right back to normal, no recovery needed, except a couple weeks to lose the 2 pounds. Progress. :)
  • llw1013
    llw1013 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My downfall was a cruise too, Akimajuktuq!! In December last year. And when I returned, I took a huge nose dive medically and -besides the fact that I felt crappy from eating horrible food - I learned that I had chronic Lyme disease. Small little medical annoyances over the last few years seemed to have been compounded by a few weeks of bad eating and everything just got all WHACKED. It has taken me a good 7-8 months to start feeling good again with meds and supplements for the Lyme, even as I've struggled to stay Primal. I really believe in this way of eating, though, so I won't give up. Good luck everyone!
  • mandabrett
    mandabrett Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Yes. It was a gym detox challenge last month. I've been paleo for over a year and I think I undid all the healing in that one month break. It did teach me to embrace this lifestyle!
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't ever call it taking a break - more like making some indulgences.

This is how I eat. It is NOT more expensive for me or difficult or any of those reasons people often give. I have not found them to be true for me.

It is something that makes me feel better and even awesome. This is worth so much more than a pizza.

That being said, I will choose to cheat - so I guess I'm a 90/10 kind of person.
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options

This is how I eat. It is NOT more expensive for me or difficult or any of those reasons people often give. I have not found them to be true for me.

It is something that makes me feel better and even awesome. This is worth so much more than a pizza.

That being said, I will choose to cheat - so I guess I'm a 90/10 kind of person.

This is how I am as well. If I want a few bites of a cake at a birthday celebration, I don't mind doing it...but I'm never going back to eating sandwiches and tacos on a regular basis!
  • KarenisPaleo
    KarenisPaleo Posts: 169 Member
    Options

This is how I am as well. If I want a few bites of a cake at a birthday celebration, I don't mind doing it...but I'm never going back to eating sandwiches and tacos on a regular basis!

Me too

It's just too awesome over here ;)
  • leighn62
    leighn62 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I haven't really taken substantiial time off in the 3 months I've been Primal but this week I sort of planned a candy binge since Halloween is here. I enjoyed the candy but not as much as I thought. I didn't have any really adverse reactions except cravings and hunger during the day. It made me realize how much easier it is to keep my calories in check when I'm Primal. Won't plan a candy binge next year.
  • mmipanda
    Options
    On the weekend I decided to make some poached eggs with spinach and some fresh wholemeal toast, after a week of strict paleo. I suffered the whole day with weird tummy problems & indigestion. I guess that's proof enough that bread is v. bad for me :( I love bread though :sad:
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I took 4 months off due to vacation, then moving, then flood-related drama and crappy living situation. I didn't have any health issues aside from weight before Primal, so I didn't have any health issues when I went on my break. The first couple of months were uneventful, although I hated how bloated/stuffed I felt at times, and missed the satisfied feeling that I always had with primal. I found in the last 2 months the sugar demon raged with full force and my volume of food intake surged. And then... of course... weight gain. I wasn't tracking cals, but they were much higher than my TDEE without a doubt, but the sugar desire kept me snacking away.

I'm back on plan, hallelujah.
  • crisgetsfit14
    Options
    Personally, I think it's all mental. Your brain can trick you into a lot of things. I took a break on Paleo and I was just fine. A perfectly fine tuned healthy body should be able to tolerate anything.

But that's just me. Don't go throwing tomatoes and boo-ing me haha.
  • mmipanda
    Options
    Personally, I think it's all mental. Your brain can trick you into a lot of things. I took a break on Paleo and I was just fine. A perfectly fine tuned healthy body should be able to tolerate anything.

But that's just me. Don't go throwing tomatoes and boo-ing me haha.
    sure, and lots of people are ok with reintroducing grains, dairy etc. But I guess I am not perfectly fine tuned and my body does not like something in bread - whether its gluten, wheat etc I'm not sure as yet. And a lot of people are like that too!
  • bekkahlokey
    Options
    I just went back to my home state for a funeral with my husband (who doesn't eat paleo/primal). He felt normal, and I felt horrible. It was only 5 days back home, but my body wasn't happy at all. I have IBS and everything I ate would make my stomach immediately unhappy.

I still take cheat meals here and there but, I will NOT do it for more than 1 day. Totally not worth it.

It would be lovely to be able to take more than 1 cheat day, but my body just isn't capable of handling certain foods.
  • malsprower
    Options
    At the moment I am because I have a ton of things in the fridge that need to get eaten up and I don't want them to go to waste. I have been struggling with the high amount of meat in this diet, I am not the biggest meat fan. I am only adding oats, whole grain rice, and peanuts back in my diet, so no processed foods. I am feeling fine but plan to drop these foods again, at this point it's only a test.
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    Options
    At the moment I am because I have a ton of things in the fridge that need to get eaten up and I don't want them to go to waste. I have been struggling with the high amount of meat in this diet, I am not the biggest meat fan. I am only adding oats, whole grain rice, and peanuts back in my diet, so no processed foods. I am feeling fine but plan to drop these foods again, at this point it's only a test.

This WOE does not have to be all about the meat.It's moderate protein and it can be lower..protein also doesn't have to come in the form of meat,it can be eggs,fish,cheese,etc.