Hygiene

Options
Rei1988
Rei1988 Posts: 412 Member
Recently I've been interested in a more naturalist approach to Hygiene. I've seen Primal Pit Paste & EarthPaste ( fluoride free), also many DIY recipes.

What "unconventional" thing works for you? Do you prefer homemade or a product?

Such for:
-Face
-Body
-Teeth
-Hair

Replies

• Flmommy1
    Flmommy1 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I use Toms deodorant for fear of the aluminum and Alzheimer's link. It doesn't work so great and on days I know I am going to really sweat I use real antiperspirant.
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    I use the oil cleasing method for make-up removal and face cleaning. I love it. My skin has never been so soft and it is dirt cheap.
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I "no poo" baking soda and vinegar for my hair and I use coconut oil on my face.
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I have not ventured much into the homemade product realm yet, but I have not used mainstream hygiene product for many years.
    I only use organic hygiene products and I always check the www.ewg.org/skindeep/‎ database to see the product/ingredients potential health complications. I am especially very picky about what I use on my children.

I use make up on an almost daily basis , but I only use true mineral makeup. My fav is signature minerals, which has vary few ingredients.
    I also haven't used fabric softener for over a decade, and just pour white vinegar into my fabric softener container in the washing machine.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Face/Body - Jason Body Wash

Deodorant - Crystal (though it's been kind of hit or miss); Burt's Bees (technically, the only one I have available is the "for men" version, but that's just because of the fragrance); I used to use Tom's, but it seems like they've changed their formula or something, because it stopped working for me recently

Teeth - Still looking, though I'm kind of partial to Arm & Hammer. I know a lot of people just use baking soda

Hair - Nature's Gate shampoo and conditioner, though I usually only wash a couple times a week (or after a really sweaty day/workout), just water otherwise; some people use apple cider vinegar, and I think I've seen some use coconut oil

I generally go with "products" mainly because I'm lazy and actively looking for other solutions in this area has been low on my priority list, though I do make my own powdered laundry soap, because it's easy to make and dirt cheap:

(Original ingredients)
    3 cups washing soda
    3 cups borax
    1 bar soap

(Alternative ingredients)
    2 cups washing soda
    2 cups borax
    2 cups oxy clean
    1 bar soap

Grate soap, mix everything together. Use 1-2 tablespoons per load.

Borax and washing soda can be found on the bottom shelf in the laundry aisle. Each box makes something like 4 batches of the original recipe. You can technically use any kind of clean-rinsing bar soap. My mom uses one of the plain(ish) varieties of Dove, but the varieties I can get have too much fragrance for my taste, so I went with a coconut-based castile bar soap this time around, and it seems to work great. I'm tossing around the idea of replacing my hand soaps with it if they have a liquid version, because it's awesome.
  • redheadmommy
    Options
    I also stopped using commercial hair color product when we decided to have kids. I loved to color my hair bright coppery red and it look fabulous on me. Now I only use pure henna powder, and it is nice natural looking and my hair is shiny and feels good. The color is not as intense as I used to have, but I am not in my 20's anymore anyway.
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I use Toms deodorant for fear of the aluminum and Alzheimer's link. It doesn't work so great and on days I know I am going to really sweat I use real antiperspirant.

I mix organic apple cider vinegar with essential oils (10 drops lavender, 5 drops lemon, 5 drops lime) in a little pump spray bottle. It works for me much better than Tom's, which didn't seem to last very long for me. ACV seems to last all day. If I have a really stressful or sweaty day, I might spritz a second time in the evening, but most days I don't have to.
  • Rei1988
    Options
    Very Interesting! keep it coming :)
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    If I can't eat it then it doesn't go on my body. We do not "need" all these silly products. No more perfume, no more antiperspirant (bad stuff), no more hair dye, and I only wear mascara when on holiday, maybe once or twice, and it's usually the sugar based kind. I've forgotten how to put on makeup so it just seems like a frustrating waste of time now. Where I live it is not socially acceptable to wear make up, perfume etc so that has helped me progress to a more au naturel attitude about my body.

I use all natural, non toxic shampoo (going to try baking soda and apple cider vinegar next), toothpaste, and not much else. I'm very simple. I became aware of the crap in personal care products when I started investigating the things that I had bought for my baby. They all went in the garbage.

I have aloe, tamanu nut oil, tea tree oil, witch hazel, coconut oil, cocoa butter and other odds and ends for skin conditions, infections etc.

PS. One of my biggest pet peeves are fabric softeners. I will be walking down the street here in my remote Arctic community and my throat will tighten and I will start hacking from all the Bounce sheet smells wafting out of the houses. With all of the health problems here (esp respiratory conditions) and poor indoor environments, and the fact that perfume is not allowed in most buildings, I just do not get why Bounce sheets don't receive the same scrutiny. Additionally, people here can't even feed their kids but they'll be buying Bounce sheets with their last few dollars; what is up with that?! Branding and advertising are ovbviously very effective at convincing people they NEED something totally unnecessary and toxic, even here in the middle of nowhere.
  • brraanndi
    brraanndi Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I use no residue, all natual shampoo and no conditioner. The best part is that my hair stopped getting super oily like it used to after a few days of not washing with shampoo and conditioner.

I don't wear deodorant ( this feels so TMI-y ) but I work from home, it's pretty easy to take a shower if things get crazy and honestly as long as I'm not out digging ditches all is well.

I don't use laundry detergent, my husband was horrified when he found out but it was funny, he never noticed the difference before then and he still can't tell because my clothes smell just as clean as his does.

I wear a ton of scented and hand blended oils though because somedays I want to smell like a forest and others, a jelly donut.
  • redheadmommy
    Options
    PS. One of my biggest pet peeves are fabric softeners.
    Mine too! A few years ago my husband took on doing laundry for a while and when he learnt that we do not use fabric softener he looked at me like I lost my mind. When I told him I use vinegar instead, he was sure I am making a fool of him. It is a well know for carcinogenic properties and people are so attached to it for no reason.
  • primalkiwi
    primalkiwi Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I use a mix of bought products and my own homemade ones:

- Moisturiser - Weleda (brilliant natural products from a highly ethical company) - I use their Skin Food for really dry skin and Sea Buckthorn body lotion for my face.
    - Sunscreen - I use Oasis, not completely natural but the only one that works (I work outside so it's important)
    - Makeup - wear very little, natural products from a local company - remove makeup with sweet almond oil. Make my own natural lip balms.
    - Soap - usually make my own olive oil castile soap, my dermatologist was super impressed and said it was the best thing I could possibly use on my skin
    - Teeth - Weleda toothpaste - baking soda can be very harsh on gums, bamboo toothbrush instead of plastic - it goes in my compost heap at the end of it's life instead of landfill!
    - Hair - my castile soap works well but I often buy a locally made natural shampoo
    - Deodorant - crystal but on days where I know I'm going to be around people and it's hot I wear a commercial chemical ****storm one- if I wear it on 2 consecutive days (no matter the brand) I come up in a rash
    - Laundry - make my own laundry liquid - no fabric softener or dryer sheets (these seem to be an American obsession, not sure why because they are totally unnecessary)
    - T.O.M products - mooncup or Natracare products plus I make my own fabric washable liners for daily wear (free patterns online)
    - Cleaning - microfibre cloth in the bathroom (only needs water) - if I need some scrub power I mix a paste of a few drops of Dr Bronners liquid soap with baking soda and a few drops of water. Use a few drops of lavender oil on a damp cleaning cloth to wipe over the loo.
    - Dishwasher - I use a local 'green' brand (not convinced it really is) but need to get around to making my own. I use white vinegar instead of Rinse Aid type products.
    ** Local products are from ecostore.co.nz a New Zealand based company
  • pixlamarque
    pixlamarque Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • kikih64
    kikih64 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Bumping for ideas! Thanks!
  • EchoDelta1013
    EchoDelta1013 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I've considered primal pit paste for about 6 months and have thought about making my own shampoo but haven't gotten around to it yet.
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I've been buying homemade deodorant on Etsy. The ingredients are coconut oil and some other stuff. None of that Aluminum whatever. Also, I have not washed my hair with shampoo since April. I use baking soda as shampoo and vinegar as conditioner. I also stopped washing my body with regular soap and use homemade goats milk soap that I buy from the farmer's market.
  • spatulathumbs
    spatulathumbs Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I tried 'no-poo' religiously for 8 months and ended up with serious scalp problems and needing to cut off six inches from my hair, it was so ruined. And I happen to be one of those people who does, in fact, need deodorants and antiperspirants. I wish I could use "natural" products, but they just absolutely do not work with my skin, hair, and body.

On the other hand, I haven't worn makeup in who knows how long, and have such dry skin that I couldn't wear it if I tried. I use an everyday cocoa butter lotion for my skin, which I like.
  • Rei1988
    Options
    I tried 'no-poo' religiously for 8 months and ended up with serious scalp problems and needing to cut off six inches from my hair, it was so ruined. And I happen to be one of those people who does, in fact, need deodorants and antiperspirants. I wish I could use "natural" products, but they just absolutely do not work with my skin, hair, and body.

On the other hand, I haven't worn makeup in who knows how long, and have such dry skin that I couldn't wear it if I tried. I use an everyday cocoa butter lotion for my skin, which I like.

what a bummer :( I'd be most concerned about the care of my hair too because it's very thick, gets tangled easy & my skin is very sensitive. I'd really have to search for the perfect "product".
  • livlovra
    livlovra Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I have just gone clean with home cleaning now I have to go the next step.